Triarthurus And Others...

ebrocklds

after a long flight and an even longer drive by solius, we have arrived in NY and will be checking out the quarry first thing in the morning. after only a few minor (major) setbacks, mainly spending saturday morning in the emergency room while i waited for solius to finished up with 42 stitches, tetnus, and injected antibiotics, after tearing up his right leg pretty badly. (pictures of this event should follow shortly so any of you with queezy stomachs should bypass the next post.)

more to come...

brock

after a long flight and an even longer drive by solius, we have arrived in NY and will be checking out the quarry first thing in the morning. after only a few minor (major) setbacks, mainly spending saturday morning in the emergency room while i waited for solius to finished up with 42 stitches, tetnus, and injected antibiotics, after tearing up his right leg pretty badly. (pictures of this event should follow shortly so any of you with queezy stomachs should bypass the next post.)

more to come...

brock

Sheesh...hope Solius is okay, considering 42 stitches and all. Try to have fun for the rest of your trip.

Wm.T.

Well there's a teaser! "Film at 11".

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Guest solius symbiosus

I was going to load some photos of the wounds, but I forgot my data cable, and for some reason the forum won't let me upload photos from my phone. We headed out to an out crop that produced some nice finds for Brock( at least 2 complete Triarthurus, and many partials) thanks to another forum member.

I couldn't really get up into the outcrop, but I did find a decent partial in a nearby creek, and a very nice, and unusual pygidium, along with several nice pyritized cephalopods.

Tomorrow will be tough, but we are going to a site known to produce spectacular finds. Will post some pics upon return home which should be Tuesday.

Guest Nicholas

I hope the leg doesn't infringe on your hunting anymore, perhaps some sort of walking stick will help?.... I wish you luck.

I sure hope Solius is OK. I'm curious to see what you folks find up there but it's a shame he got hurt. I hope you find a bunch of those nice pyritized bugs--with antennae and legs and all! No matter what, I hope my "neighbor" from Kentucky takes care of himself. Both of y'uns.

Guest solius symbiosus

We had a very productive day. The quarry was a long hike(1.5 mile) from the road, and we had to cross a large creek no less than 7 times. Fortunately, Brock came up with the idea of wrapping my leg in a garbage bag, and taping it to my pants to keep the water out of the wounds.

It was a long, and hard walk with the injuries, but we came out with some incredible pieces. Some with soft tissue preservation??? We only kept complete bugs, but the place was littered with thousands of partials. Will post pics when I get home.

This really sounds like the trip of a lifetime; too bad you had to hobble through it!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Guest solius symbiosus

Yeah, it was. This is something that I've wanted to do for 25 years, but never thought that I would get the opportunity to hunt the Beecher Beds. We are now in the Catskills, and we are going to hunt some Dev, and attempt to find some Phacops.

I can't wait to see what you found. Next time take me with you.

From what I understand, there may not be a next time; I think access is coming to an end. :(

The trip of a lifetime, indeed.

Solius

We all take a hit from time to time in pursuit of the things we love...this is me leading a Dallas Paleo Society trip across South Texas 3 years ago....I'm not sure I earned the respect of my faithful followers on this particular day....

SHOW US YOUR WOUNDS!

post-22-1219110542_thumb.jpg

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Alright! We're showing our wounds! :durr:

Fossil collecting tip #42: Never take your kneepads off until you get back to the car (or boat).

Memorial Day weekend, Lake Texoma.

post-534-1219114301_thumb.jpg

My worst (and I ain't gonna show ya', 'cause ya' don't want to see it) was a case of South Texas chiggers. I had to soak my socks & tighty-whiteys off in the bathtub. (Told ya' you didn't want to see it)!

I HATE CHIGGERS!

Chiggers don't bother me but I HATE TICKS! I was just recently atacked buy hundreds of them ugh.

I had talked us onto a ranch in the Anacacho formation where a volcanic uplift had supposedly pushed up a sea floor and covered a bunch of cool echinoids with ash. We never did find the echies but there were a few artifacts and as I was busting head down through the mesquite brush I went head first into a broken limb and sliced my gourd open.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Hahahahahahahahaha! Sorry, but that's funny. I know where those chiggers were and you are right, we probably don't want to see it!

Guest solius symbiosus

We ran short of time yesterday, and didn't get to collect in the Catskills, but we saw some beautiful scenery. I drove Brock to Brooklyn to meet with another forum member(and to catch a flight) for dinner. Unfortunately, I had to get on the road, and I'm sure I missed a wonderful meal. Too, I would like to thank him for the ferns.

After a long drive and short rest, I have photographed any of what I found, other than what was taken in situ. So here are those:

These were taken with a cell phone, so the quality isn't that good.

sewing it up

the wound

post-179-1219187846_thumb.jpg

The trip:

stuck in a traffic jam at 2:30am Saturday morning leaving Manhattan on the Tappanzee Bridge

post-179-1219188019_thumb.jpg

When we met out guide the morning of the hunt, he showed us what is typically found at the outcrop.

Warning!!! you might want to get a towel to wipe the drool from your keyboard before looking at the next 3

beautiful soft tissue preservation

post-179-1219188175_thumb.jpg

post-179-1219188242_thumb.jpg

Nice soft tissue, you and the Trilo!

Man that's a nasty gash! Well, all in the hunt. I was going to ask you guys for a trade, but after what you've been through I don't think you've going to want to give up anything :D

Always looking for trilobites!

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

Guest solius symbiosus

^^^That pyritized ventral is incredible.

The very first thing that you see when you look down

post-179-1219188848_thumb.jpg

a slab of crinoid stems, but no calyx'

post-179-1219188828_thumb.jpg

Brock hard at it

post-179-1219189152_thumb.jpg

me going at it

post-179-1219189201_thumb.jpg

my dog just "chilling"

post-179-1219189474_thumb.jpg

Guest solius symbiosus

There were some "trash" layers that had 75-100 partials in small slabs that we just chucked down the hill. I know, I know, it sounds crazy, and every time I picked one up, I had to study it with a lens, but we wanted the good stuff.

post-179-1219189681_thumb.jpg

post-179-1219189699_thumb.jpg

post-179-1219189719_thumb.jpg

Guest solius symbiosus

The Outcrop:

Looking to the right

post-179-1219190647_thumb.jpg

to the left

post-179-1219190704_thumb.jpg

down the outcrop

post-179-1219190758_thumb.jpg

the whitish looking talus near the center is stuff that we chucked. some of it had some good stuff, but we were a long way back in the woods.

post-179-1219190845_thumb.jpg

post-179-1219191024_thumb.jpg