Triarthurus And Others...

ebrocklds

Guest solius symbiosus

The hike out:

notice the trash bag. it worked well. the wound stayed dry.

post-179-1219191126_thumb.jpg

post-179-1219191226_thumb.jpg

Brock spotted some orchids on the way out.

post-179-1219191283_thumb.jpg

post-179-1219191328_thumb.jpg

a creek off the trail

post-179-1219191398_thumb.jpg

the trail

post-179-1219191474_thumb.jpg

back to the world

post-179-1219191618_thumb.jpg

lower east side from the Brooklyn Bridge

post-179-1219191679_thumb.jpg

Guest solius symbiosus

I will photograph some of what I brought back in a day or two. I brought back 3 nice pyritized bugs with soft tissue, and several others, and Brock had a better day than me.

Guest N.AL.hunter

Had no idea it was that bad. Really hope all is well now and that you will heal completely. And the trilos are really nice, specially the one that is 221.08 (I think).

An incredible odyssey; paid for in blood, sweat, and tears. Must have been pretty hair-raising when you first realized you were badly injured! Only you can say whether the results were worth it (but I think I know your answer). All I can say is "WOW"! You were chucking things that were better than anything I ever had.

(BTW, the "orchids" are Spotted Jewelweed, a member of the Impatiens genus).

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Guest solius symbiosus

^^^ Oh yeah, it was worth it. One of my wishes for 25 years was to hunt the Beecher Beds, but I never dreamed that I would get the opportunity. I was worried that I wouldn't be able to make the hike in, but I think that adrenaline killed any pain, so it really wasn't that bad. The hike out was even easier.

I'm not even going to attempt to prep my pyritized ones for several more years. Hopefully, by then I will have the necessary expertise to do them properly. I have virtually no experience with blasters, and the blasting medium has to be customized from pre-existing commercial stuff.

I'm glad you made it home in one piece. Those wounds are awful deep-looking. Congratulations on your finds.

Hey Solius.

I am glad you made it back home one piece. You are one of the bravest collectors for having stoically endured the injury and kept collecting. It was a pleasure meeting you in NY too. You should have stayedfor dinner - Brock really liked the soup). Let me know if you ever decide to come out here again...you dont have to wait another 25 years for that!

Mike

Man Solius, you really thrashed yourself. It wouldn't take an experienced backwoodsman to follow your blood trail. In fact, most of the wild hogs I've shot actually bled much less than you. Thumbs up for overcoming the psychological factor of seeing your own body mutilated. At this point I'd be most worried about infection.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Guest solius symbiosus
Hey Solius.

I am glad you made it back home one piece. You are one of the bravest collectors for having stoically endured the injury and kept collecting. It was a pleasure meeting you in NY too. You should have stayedfor dinner - Brock really liked the soup). Let me know if you ever decide to come out here again...you dont have to wait another 25 years for that!

Mike

Thanks Mike, I regretted leaving after I left, but it was a long drive and I would have never made it in one day if I didn't get on the road. I hadn't slept much the night before, and my body was about to give out. I'll have some things for you in a few days ... I'll PM when I get it together.

Dan, yeah the infection is a real worry. I suffer from complications from DVTs, and the cells don't get oxygenated in my legs very well. The Doc at the hospital also thinks that part of my problem is PAD. So, I will have to keep on top of it in order to prevent loosing the thing.

Solius, if you come to Texas, let me know. You have what it takes to see a dream come true, despite a nasty setback! Obstacles, you can go thru them, around them, under them, over them, or you can quit...you didn't.

"Crying! There's no crying in"...fossil hunting! :D

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

(BTW, the "orchids" are Spotted Jewelweed, a member of the Impatiens genus).

I thought that looked familiar. I haven't seen it in a while. I don't think we have any around here (not that I have seen anyway). It is great for poison ivy.

Solius, you are a trooper. That one might have shut me down, but I know what it's like when you think "I've come driven this far and I'm not stopping now."

Solius, if you come to Texas, let me know. You have what it takes to see a dream come true, despite a nasty setback! Obstacles, you can go thru them, around them, under them, over them, or you can quit...you didn't.

"Crying! There's no crying in"...fossil hunting! :D

There would be if you dropped a 6 inch Meg and it cracked in half :D

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

Guest solius symbiosus
That one might have shut me down, but I know what it's like when you think "I've come driven this far and I'm not stopping now."

After we left the hospital, but Mike called Brock and told him about a nearby outcrop close to the road, so we spent the rest of the afternoon there. I couldn't do much, but there was a nice rock bar in the middle of a creek, and I just sat there chopping everything within reach.

Guest Nicholas

Looks like a great adventure, I really didn't think the leg was that bad but after seeing the beauties found... I'd trade a busted leg for them. Great stuff guys, I'm glad you had a good time, now get prepping!

I just looked at some very nice pyritized Triarthrus eatoni (which I'm sure you've seen at Indiana9fossils), with well preserved soft tissue, priced at $5,500. Others are way up there too. Even some of the less well-preserved sell for a lot. I don't care about making money, but, solius, I would be tickled to death if I found one. You're so lucky, even if you got hurt in the process.

Nice fossil hunting! Rocks all over the place! Wow! Creek look good fishing for trout or smallmouth bass! I would love to go there to fish early morning and late evening while fossil hunting all day long....what a nice trip!

Thanks for sharing photos and hope you feel better soon!

Solius - After looking at the picture of your leg, I immediately thought of several things. First, I haven't had spaghetti lately. Second, it's not that I don't love fossils, but DANG! Third, you're going to have some grate scars. Four, I'll tell you what I told a guy some years back when he was telling a war story about an injury - "You went through all THAT just to get a good story?!"

Hey, I'll never try to upstage you. You win. All I've got anyway is a weird "smiley face" scar pattern on my wrist from a fall.

Solius - that would have definitely shut me down!!!

This thread is beginning to remind me of the scene in Jaws where the guys are on the Orca showing scars. "Yup, this here's from a thresher...nearly took off my arm." "That's nothing, look at my leg here. Nearly lost it to a pyritized trilobite."

Guest solius symbiosus

I have circulatory problems in my legs from DVTs, so the thing is slow to heal. It still throbs when I lower my leg, but the Doc said I probably won't lose it.(that was a real concern for me when it happened)

My wife just saw the pics of your gash and asked, "How many stitches did that take?"

When the doc counted them, she counted 42, but counting them the other day, I counted 43. The doc on Monday was going to remove every other stitch in an effort to relieve some of the inflammation, but after taking four of them out, he decided against removing anymore... the swelling was causing the wound to open back up.

Here is a photo form about 5 days ago. The reddish areas have deteriorated more, and the doc said all of that area will probably die. So, it should leave a nasty scar.

post-179-1219845146_thumb.jpg

all things considered i think it is looking pretty good. i guess i still have in my mind what it looked like right when it happened. hope it heals soon so you can try for some more trilos when the time comes.

Brock

Guest N.AL.hunter
I have circulatory problems in my legs from DVTs, so the thing is slow to heal. It still throbs when I lower my leg, but the Doc said I probably won't lose it.(that was a real concern for me when it happened)

When the doc counted them, she counted 42, but counting them the other day, I counted 43. The doc on Monday was going to remove every other stitch in an effort to relieve some of the inflammation, but after taking four of them out, he decided against removing anymore... the swelling was causing the wound to open back up.

Here is a photo form about 5 days ago. The reddish areas have deteriorated more, and the doc said all of that area will probably die. So, it should leave a nasty scar.

post-179-1219845146_thumb.jpg

Have your doctor check into using medicinal leeches for the swelling. They work great in cases like this (I am not a doctor, but I used to play one with the girls when I was young B) )