Really My Obsession Is Not Out Of Control....

obsessed1

My family and I will be gone for vacation from Sunday am til the following Sunday pm. Where could we go? Well we are heading down to the cabins at Matoaka of course. My kids asked if we were going there just so I could fossil hunt. "Of course not" I told them. I picked the cabins so we could all fossil hunt!!!! I hope to be back online Monday evening with some cool new finds. Until then hunt hard and be safe!

Oh yes if you see a mad man in an old Astroglass bass boat running it full speed towards the shore don't be afraid it's just me!! B)

Have a great time, and come back with as many kids as you started with!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Have fun and good luck! Never been to Matoaka but I have been to Western Shores...community just North of the cabins. A lot of nice snaggle tooth and mako teeth.

It was good to see you down at Flag Ponds. Good luck and enjoy the vacation!

Carpe Diem, Carpe Somnium

Guest bmorefossil

gl hope you do good, got injured fossiling on saturday, im all cut up and broke 2 fingers, hope you all stay safe

gl hope you do good, got injured fossiling on saturday, im all cut up and broke 2 fingers, hope you all stay safe

Jeeze, Bmore, you OK? What'd you do?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Guest N.AL.hunter

Hey OBS, have a great time and hope you find a lot of new and/or larger specimens.

Bmore... what happened? Someone bigger and stronger outrun/push you to get ahead?

Sounds like Saturday was a bad day for fossil hunters! It was a lucky day for me, though, because I actually ran into a professional trilobite paleontologist on the site. I sniffed out one of his spots.

And, Obsessed, your kids will probably look back at your "obsession" as fond memories long from now. My dad never once took us on a trip of any kind--and was hardly ever around. When he was he was drunk and/or stoned. So you are being a great dad.

Well we just got back and I had to see what everyone has been up to since we left. Everyone got a Meg except me... :( But I have something even better! Pics to follow soon.

How bout this for a new contest:

Guess that Find!

IT'S A BIRD! IT'S A PLANE! IT'S, IT'S, BETTER THAN A MEG???

I was able to get it all out, but am not sure if the top of the skull is there. The beak was broken in three pieces when the bigger chunk fell on it. But most of it seems to be there.

Yeah, that shelly matrix is a pain to work in. We resently took out a dolphin skull out of a similar layer at Sci. Cliffs. Did you have a chance to put a plaster jacket around it or just take it out in a big chuck of matrix? Looking forward to picture after prep.

I didn't have any plaster with me, but even if I did there hasn't time to use it. The tide was coming in fast and would have taken at least 6 inches or more of the beak off of the skull. So I used what I had with me, and dug around the skull until I could flip it into a tee shirt and then into one of the dry storage compartments from my boat. Oh did I mention how sharp those shells are and how easily they slice your fingers? .....As soon as I get it preped I will post pics.

I didn't have any plaster with me, but even if i did there hasn't time to use it. The tide was coming in fast and would have taken at least 6 inches or more of the beak off of the skull. So I used what I had with me, and dug around the skull until I could flip it into a tee shirt and then into one of the dry storage compartments from my boat. Oh did I mention how sharp those shells are and how easily they slice your fingers? .....As soon as I get it preped I will post pics.

Those shells are brutal...I always wear leather gloves working in those layers. The tide is the biggest problem with excavating fossils along the cliffs. It usually has to be a one day project or you will start to lose pieces...not to mention other collectors will come by and snatch things up.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I finally got that skull re-assembled. It was alot of long nights but was definately worth it. I am taking it to Calvert Marine Museum for them to hopefully ID it tomorrow.

post-281-1221000992_thumb.jpgpost-281-1221001011_thumb.jpg

post-281-1221001019_thumb.jpgpost-281-1221001029_thumb.jpg

post-281-1221001041_thumb.jpg

Archived