Is This An Egg? Maybe A Tooth?

K-R

Guys, sorry I didn't get anything in the pics to show size. this is about 2.5" x 2" at the most. Anyhow, looks like an egg to me, it is made out of rock. Found near Chattanooga. The red looking stuff on it is clay.

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

Yes, a concretion; the concentric layers are diagnostic.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

so i need to keep looking for kevinsaurus rex? :-)

thanks guys for the fast response, glad this forum is out here, we will keep our eyes open!

Many of us when new to the hobby have found "Mother Nature" creations which

reminded us of familiar objects. Round concretions (egg shapes) are the most common.

Informative link: Click Here

Wiki (concretion): Click Here

Mother Nature is a well known artist with a sense of humor :)

Edited by Indy

Flash from the Past (Show Us Your Fossils)
MAPS Fossil Show

concretion after pholid or clavagellid clam? Haven't seen a pholid (burrowing clam) that large. They are sometimes preserved like this with a bit of the burrow or breathing space attached. Was going to suggest breaking the internal part out to see if it looks like a clam steinkern but it looks too round to me. Have seen somewhat round ones in lignified wood. You might try this if you don't care about the concretion.

I can take you to a cliff that is full of those. Chert nodules that look like a big egg. I am a bit north of Chattanooga by about 90 miles.