Weirdest Thing You've Seen While Hunting Fossils?

Paperstraw

A recent outing on the Brazos, I encountered a cow stuck in quick sand up to its chest. It could not budge. The poor thing had tears coming from its eyes. I had my gps w/ me and called in the coordinates to the sheriff's dept. but didn't think they would really follow up on it. So... I scaled a cliff, crossed a pasture hoping noone would shoot first and ask questions later. The first "people" I saw were 3 rather large dogs that barked at me but did not charge. Finally, a farmhand drove toward me in a rhino. I explained why I was there and we went together to assess the situation. Unfortunately he said the cow probably could not be rescued, but I hope they were at least able to put it down so it did not suffer any longer. Kind of ironic that I'm out there hoping to find dead stuff, but trying to save something from death.....

Thinking back now, I probably should have left my address in hopes of receiving some steak for Christmas.

• 6 years later...

Permit me to resurrect this old thread from more than 6 years ago. I can't believe how long it's been. Whatever happened to some of the members I see above?

This might be the funniest thing I've found while fossiling. Today I checked out a site along the Island Highway (Hwy 1) that I haven't looked at since 2003, I think. Found a few things, but the first thing I spotted was this. At first glance I wasn't too surprised to see a small sparkly quartzy bit, as we have small quartz crystals in our local Nanaimo Group sediments (and minutes later I did find a nice local piece with a cavity lined with qtz xls, forgot to take a pic), but as soon as I picked it up it turned out to be a piece of one of those ochoa(?) geodes from Brazil. There is even a polished sliced surface on it, as you can see.

The weird thing is, I don't think this is a site frequented by rockhounds/fossil hunters. I guess it could have been dropped there by someone checking out the site when I wasn't there, but I've not seen anyone there since 2003 in all the times I've driven by, so I think it is more likely that someone had a geode that got broken and decided to dispose of it by throwing it out the window of a moving car, at the outcrop by chance or by design, for some rockhounding sucker like me to come along and eventually find it!

It's amazing that I found it, actually, amongst all the loose rock, almost in the ditch that was half full of garbage, tree branches and other debris from the past winter.

geode.jpg

Could the cut surface just be a natural fracture plane? Just looks like an odd cut. 

Mike

No, its a cut and polished surface, on the right edge in the right pic. The pics don't show it very well. The other edges are broken.

Anyway the feathery 'inclusions' you see in the agate 'rind' are characteristic of that type of geode, which is not found here! I believe they are from Brazil, and I have other specimens acquired from rock shops etc.

Last summer in Wyoming there were a ton of toads everywhere. If you were out walking through the grass and sage it seemed like the second plague in Egypt. I'm guessing it was due to the high amount of rainfall that season. Amphibians aren't something someone generally thinks of when talking about the Wyoming badlands.

Was doing some weed cutting and chased an alligator lizard out.

It had one head and two complete bodies joined at the neck. One side was about ten inches long and the other was a little smaller.

• I found this Informative 1

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

52 minutes ago, ynot said:

Was doing some weed cutting and chased an alligator lizard out.

It had one head and two complete bodies joined at the neck. One side was about ten inches long and the other was a little smaller.

Dang, it should've easy enough to convince (force) it to pause for a photo.

Then again, it had twice the horsepower :D

Some afternoon delight on the bank of a river. Not sure who was the most surprised!

The dog (Stella) decided to sniff out a skunk in the bushes around the site, with predictable results. The concoction of natural nastiness also partially melted her collar, making the car ride back home an odd mixture of skunk and burnt plastic. Maybe not the weirdest thing I’ve seen fossil hunting, but perhaps the weirdest I’ve smelled...