How Do We Clean Mazon Creek Fossils?

Jane12345

I have tried to search the forum for this topic but haven't found the newbie information that I'm seeking. Please bear with me if this has been covered elsewhere here.

I know absolutely nothing about fossils, but my young son is very into them. He received a big box of Mazon Creek rocks/fossils for Christmas, and is going through them one by one. We don't have any specialized equipment, so he is simply brushing them off and inspecting them. Can he clean them off in water (or another solution), or is that a bad idea? They are covered in an orange-ish powder/dirt. He of course doesn't mind the dirt, but we're just wondering if it's a good idea for him to be cleaning them in some way as he goes along.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the Forum! :)

I think some water and a soft toothbrush would not be detrimental to these fossils. I've used this on the few Mazon creek fossils I have, with no adverse reactions. ;)

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

The best way I have found is to put them in a small tupperware dish with 1/4 cup of vinegar for every 1 cup of water. Let it sit overnight and then scrub with a coarse sponge. I only do that for the jellyfish and shrimp though, for the plants, soak for a shorter period of time, and only scrub the area around the plant. The vinegar thing is definitely the way to go though.

I've found a toothbrush and water works well on similar nodules from Indiana.

"They ... savoured the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than ordinary people, who were only ignorant of ordinary things."

-- Terry Pratchett

• 2 weeks later...

Just so I'm clear, are we talking about nodules that were found already split open and have been accumulating dirt on the exposed fossil?

Edited by Wrangellian

Just so I'm clear, are we talking about nodules that were found already split open and have been accumulating dirt on the exposed fossil?

Good point Wrangellian. I can't speak for the vinegar method but for the toothbrush method, yes, I'm talking about nodules that were found split open and need to be cleaned of dirt, moss, etc. If something splits in the freezer it should not be dirty and any little bit of dust will rinse off by just dipping the nodules in water, I do not brush these.

"They ... savoured the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than ordinary people, who were only ignorant of ordinary things."

-- Terry Pratchett

OK that's what I thought.

I guess the toothbrush would be necessary if no lighter form of cleaning will get the dirt off, but I'd wonder if there was any fossil detail under there that is unnoticed by the naked eye that might be adversely affected by the toothbrush or vinegar if not applied carefully. I know that matrix is pretty strong but the detail, if it exists, can be pretty delicate no matter what kind of matrix, and the Mazon fossils aren't generally heavy on detail in the first place..

It's been my limited experience that nodule fossils are very delicate and can be wiped out sometimes just by accidently touching them carelessly. I cannot speak for the Mazon Creek fossils though, I only have a couple of small ferns that my wife gave me for Xmas and they needed no cleaning. My experience is only with local, Kansas City, shale nodules.

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.

Charles Darwin

• 2 weeks later...

I use vinegar and water with a soft toothbrush if the matrix is clouded with a grey cast (common on already split and weathered Mazon Creek fossils), but I was told to rinse after in COLD water for 2-3 minutes to neutralize the vinegar-if you skip this step- the acid in the vinegar will continue to disintegrate the fossil - over time. A Mazon creek fossil with a lot of mineral cast looks like an Alka-Seltzer tablet in a vinegar bath :) The results are great.

The best way I have found is to put them in a small tupperware dish with 1/4 cup of vinegar for every 1 cup of water. Let it sit overnight and then scrub with a coarse sponge. I only do that for the jellyfish and shrimp though, for the plants, soak for a shorter period of time, and only scrub the area around the plant. The vinegar thing is definitely the way to go though.

Not sure a coarse brush is a great idea though. You do not want to remove any detail from the fossils.

Is that stuff actually a later deposit that is not integral to the fossil? In that case, vinegar for sure. I'm not sure a brush would even be necessary with this, either (maybe just a soft one like a small paintbrush?), though as I say I haven't a lot of experience cleaning Mazon fossils.