Fish , Reptile ?

NSRaddict_1

Found this 3 weeks ago at NSR wanted to find out maybe what it belonged to . It is very small in size , maybe 1" long .

The teeth are very tiny although there are 4 of them .

Jaw_2.jpg

Thanks in advance .

Hunting fossils is fun , but discovering is better !

The bone structure has (to me) a "fishy" texture.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Yes, that would help. a close up on the teeth would be good too. It looks like the teeth are different from each other, at least in size, are they different in shape?

Where is NSR?

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

One more view :

Jaw_teeth_5.jpg

Jaw_teeth_2.jpg

That is as good of picture I can get of the little bugger , our camera does pretty good but that is as close as I can get .

That is as good of picture I can get of the little bugger , our camera does pretty good but that is as close as I can get .

Let me know if the pictures are coming out ok , as I am using SuSE 11.0 and KDE 4.0.1 and it is still kind of beta , the Show Photo program I am using is a back port of KDE 3 .

Found this 3 weeks ago at NSR wanted to find out maybe what it belonged to . It is very small in size , maybe 1" long .

The teeth are very tiny although there are 4 of them .

Jaw_2.jpg

Thanks in advance .

Not very sharp photo, but my best swag would be "X" fish. Other possibilities are small Mosasaur or "Packy" fish.

-----"Your Texas Connection!"------

Fossils: Windows to the past

I think Bowkill nailed it. Check out this link: Saurodon

Compare the inside of the jaw....

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Oceans of Kansas has this tidbit about Saurodon:

"When Lewis and Clark set out in 1804 on their westward trek to explore the Louisiana Purchase, they had no idea that they would also be crossing the expanse of an ancient ocean that once covered the middle of North America. It was early in the trip when they found the only fossil specimen that survives today from the collections made by the expedition..."

Pretty cool!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I agree, Saurodon, I live in Fannin County and go there a lot and have found many off the same thing. I have many of the teeth by their self also.

Saurodon .

Thanks

Do you think these are Saurodon as well ? These pieces are larger , 6"x4" :

Fish_jaw.jpg

Fish_jaw_2.jpg

Xiphactinus vert ?

Xiph_Vert_1024.jpg

Very nice jaw bones!

My guess is fish also. It looks like Saurodon to me.

Cool fish! (look back to post 11)

You've got a good collect of Native american material too in that pic Bowkill! I try to find my own material but I've only ever found one piece :( It was a Savannah River Knife point though that was a little smaller than a dollar bill so I can't complain too much :D

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

NSRaddict - the jaw pieces and vert are all Xiphactinus. (Note the teeth are different sizes - that's the quickest way to ID as X-fish from teh NSR)

Thanks for the tip Xiphactinus on the Xiphactinus pieces , and thanks to everyone else for the tips and info on the small jaw bone piece .