Could This Be A Fossil Egg?

cowgirl

Howdy from Texas...........I've had this a long time. As far as i can remember, it was found in the 50's in south Texas. But, i may be wrong. The outside feels like what a chicken egg feels like, even looks like it.

post-7672-0-25773400-1325606612_thumb.jpg

Howdy back ! Funny the exact same way I came to this forum was to have a find of mine looked at by the very,very knowledgeable folks on here. My find was actually very similar to yours in that I thought I had a genuine fossilized egg that I found in the Trans Peco's region of West Texas. My egg turned out to be a concretion of some sort.

To me yours looks like a chert nodule that has been broken in half.

Welcome to the Forum !!

Yep, not an egg

" We're all puppets, I'm just a puppet who can see the strings. "

Yes definitely some type of siliceous concretion, interesting looking one! Welcome aboard, thanks for posting!

Russ

Wonder what it would look like if i had the broken flat space polished?

I'd like to see that, if you do it! My guess is that it would show several concentric rings.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I wonder how many "Pseudo-Eggs" brought members to this Forum. I would never fall for that one... Did I just say that? I hope lightning is nowhere close by. Here is my Egg-not an Egg, Concretion.

post-6069-0-32129200-1325622154_thumb.jpg

post-6069-0-40503900-1325622178_thumb.jpg

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." - Confucius

i'd leave it eggsactly as it is. some chert will polish, sort of, but most of the time it doesn't polish particularly well. a lot of it keeps sort of a cloudy look after being polished.