San Miguel Co,nm Fossils

Jack the Collector

I was at the place where I have to store a number of my fossils today,and as promised some pictures.

RE:http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?showtopic=2613

San Miguel co. is a geological wonderland.....heck all of New Mexico is!Geology of the area tells of uphevals and battles that happend so long ago.I actively hunt the canyons and dry riverbeds when I have a short time to look,and I scale the mesas and canyon walls when I have all day to search.I however am not only looking for fossils,but Chalcedony and minerals as well.When I go to fossil shows with skate,ray and shark teeth found here,I am usually dismissed as a liar.Thats OK,if they chose to have a closed mind,so be it.One can look in the National Audobon society book of fossils and find a credit to San Miguel co. for skate teeth.Most of this material I find is not much different in color and texture than the ones found in Florida.Except here there can be a risk of radioactive readings from some finds.We have small deposits of pitchblende and uranium,so some fossil finds are hot :rolleyes: Here are a few of my finds in San Miguel Co. they are,A flatened piece of wood,Stingers,one unkown sharks tooth,one what I think is a Tiger shark tooth,2 agatised gastropods,a bi valve,ammonite impression,couple of skate teeth,a partial leaf,a coral,and a I really think its a fossil but may not be.

post-691-1219173245_thumb.jpg

post-691-1219173260_thumb.jpg

post-691-1219173272_thumb.jpg

post-691-1219173284_thumb.jpg

post-691-1219173315_thumb.jpg

post-691-1219173329_thumb.jpg

post-691-1219173349_thumb.jpg

post-691-1219173368_thumb.jpg

post-691-1219173379_thumb.jpg

post-691-1219173397_thumb.jpg

post-691-1219173414_thumb.jpg

post-691-1219173424_thumb.jpg

post-691-1219173435_thumb.jpg

post-691-1219173445_thumb.jpg

We are all merely curators for the next generation.

...so some fossil finds are hot :rolleyes:

How cool would it be to have a Meg that Glows in the dark? :P

...couple of skate teeth...

I don't see 'em; photo mix up?

...and a I really think its a fossil but may not be.

If it's the item in pics 9 & 10, it almost looks like a pine cone.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Auspex,they are in photo 2,I have tenatively identified them as grinders to Ptychodus polygurus.

We are all merely curators for the next generation.

Auspex,they are in photo 2,I have tenatively identified them as grinders to Ptychodus polygurus.

Of course! :durr: I was looking for Miocene skate teeth :blush: .

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Actually, once believed to be a skate species, Ptychodus is now generally thought to be an early hybodus-like shark. I will post the only one I have......if I can even find it now.

Nice stuff. I alos wanted to know, how big are the Ptychodus teeth.

Tha tighin fodham, fodham, fodham!

The larger shark tooth is a Tiger shark, the smaller one is either a small Lemon shark or a Carcharhinus.

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else