st41lion

Heading To Lawrnce Topeka Area Tomorrow. Anyone Have Suggestions Of Where I Could Find A Trilobite

st41lion

So I am heading to the lawrence Topeka area tomorrow. According to geo kansas the hwy 4 and 24 site is closed by KDOT. Does anyone have any good suggestions of where I might find a trilobite? If I do it would be my first and I would be eternally greatful. Thank you everyone in advance for your input

grokfish

Not sure where, but good luck!

Kehbe

Heyas st41lion! I replied to your other post but I will copy it here. I don't know much about the fossil hunting around Lawrence and know even less about the Topeka area but if you are going south on 7 hwy out of Leavenworth and then west on 10 to Lawrence, there are a few roadcuts under the highway at the interchange of 10 and Cedar Creek Parkway, which is the first exit west of 7 hwy, that I have found a few brachiopods and crinoids. If you get off 10 at the Cedar Creek exit and turn south and go under the bridge, the cuts are right there close to the road and easily accessible. I really have only briefly skimmed over that area, I mean 10 minutes or so, so I can't say definatively that there are lots of fossils but I didn't get skunked. I will say that the traffic is not to bad and the shoulders are nice and wide and it's possibly on your way. Never hurts to pull over for 15 minutes and give it a look see! You can get right back on the highway and be back on your way without a lot of trouble so it may be worth a stop! You might score before you even get to Lawrence! Good luck, be safe and take lots of pictures! Anxious to hear a report of your finds! :)

st41lion

I have looked through the roadcuts at 435- and K-10 and found some pretty cool stuff including plant leaves. I am taking the back roads from the Easton area to Lawrence. Then I am free to head wherever from there. I just really wanta a chance at my first trilo which was why I was going to head to the Topeka area. Then I hear its closed. I might just drive around the area and find another roadcut that is not. Anyways thanks for the directions

Kehbe

when you say its closed, what do you mean? Is it a fossil park that you pay to hunt? an old quarry privately owned? whats the deal? Just curious

:)(edit) okay, a bit of searching and I found out what I was wanting to know. I wonder why K-DOT would close a site like that. Maybe to many people. Crowds tend to 'mess' a place. Oh well, as you said, if there are trilobites in that area that they closed, there are bound to be trilobites at some of the other roadcuts around there. Good luck anyways! :) and enjoy just getting out in the sunshine! Have a better than ever day!

Edited by Kehbe

st41lion

I hope to thanks, John

Kehbe

John,

I was just wondering how your trip went and if anything of interest came from it! Did you find your trilobite? Be sure to post some pictures!

Kyle

squalicorax

A small outcrop road cut here 38.907616,-95.327201 in Lawrence. I do remember a larger outcrop near a park or a lake in Lawrence i'm trying to pin it down.

Might be in this park 38.942137,-95.330096

Edited by squalicorax

st41lion

i didnt have any luck with the trilobites ,but the hash plates were very cool. Will post pics soon. Thanks for everyones help. it appears that just the place under the bridge where everyone used to park is shut down because they are dumping road construction debris on that road. i was there 5 hours and didnt have any trouble. i did stay on the other side of the road though just in case as the sign says KDOT property keep out.

st41lion

I did take home several hash plates that I have not gone through so maybe there is a trilobite in there who knows. I saw on the geo kansas the trilobites were in the hard limestone,but then someone told me they found several in one day in the hash plates.

st41lion

Almost forgot Eskridge was a bust. Will add pics later.

missingdigits

So I am heading to the lawrence Topeka area tomorrow. According to geo kansas the hwy 4 and 24 site is closed by KDOT. Does anyone have any good suggestions of where I might find a trilobite? If I do it would be my first and I would be eternally greatful. Thank you everyone in advance for your input

Hey there! I am from Lawrence and have been wondering the same thing! I am dying to find a trilobite! As for the highway4/24 site I have been there three times. Absolutely love it! It was my first "fossil hunt" and found out about it from probably the same website you did. Not too long ago the website said the site was "closed" by KDOT. Last weekend on my way back from Salina I stopped by just to see what the deal was. There are signs saying KDOT property keep out or something but no gate or anything. Not sure why it is "closed'. There is plenty of room to park and not be in the way of any through vehicles going to there dump site or whatever. In fact, I have relatives that live just south of the site on K4 and they told me that people often stop there and fossil hunt. I would like to find someone to call and ask them about it. What a shame. It's pretty cool and just so loaded with stuff that there is no digging required- just pick up anything and it's loaded with cool hash plates, as I am sure you know.

I went to site near Eskdrige too last weekend and did not find anything.

Post some pictures when you get a chance!

I heard about the area Kehbe mentioned but not been there. I will check out his mention around Clinton Lake though to be sure! Did some hunting around Kill Creek last week and found some stuff, nothing special. One nice sponge int his thread here: http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php/topic/25240-pennsylvanian-sponges-from-kansas/page__fromsearch__1

st41lion

Yes, the sign is only posted for the road entrance on the east side. Nothing posted anywhere else around there. I just hunted all the other areas, mostly directly across the road. I did not find any trilobites to my knowledege, but I am still looking over some hash plates I just threw in the trunk. Would like to get together with anyone from the area and see what we can come up with. I am going to try the I435 and holiday drive area I think tomorrow if the snow melts. Its supposed to get a little warmer. Anyways thanks for the response. Just pm if you want to get together. Um.. so just to clarify you also went to Eskridge?

st41lion

Heres some pics from this trip.post-7600-0-12943200-1326551119_thumb.jpg

st41lion

And the following are from Eskridgepost-7600-0-19885100-1326552357_thumb.jpg