Find Of A Lifetime - Finally Prepped!

Xiphactinus

Took 6 years from discovery to completion, but it's DONE!!!!

All 17 feet of the bad boy. Note the 4 foot drywall square for scale. The dark area in the middle is where I joined the last two pieces. It will lighten, but I couldn't wait the 3-4 days it will take to share the picture!!

17 foot Xiphactinus audax. Niobrara Chalk, Kansas

post-98-1219178969_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 13
  • Enjoyed 2

All 17 feet of the bad boy. Note the 4 foot drywall square for scale. The dark area in the middle is where I joined the last two pieces. It will lighten, but I couldn't wait the 3-4 days it will take to share the picture!!

WOW, Awesome. Nice Prep job

Too small I think you should throw it back ;) An amazing fossil for sure.I can empathise with you on the labor involved especially if you have a better half----they just don't understand the desire to complete.Did you find youself rushing towards the end?

• I found this Informative 1

We are all merely curators for the next generation.

Too small I think you should throw it back ;) An amazing fossil for sure.I can empathise with you on the labor involved especially if you have a better half----they just don't understand the desire to complete.Did you find youself rushing towards the end?

I tried not to rush, but it was hard not to. I would force myself to stop and walk away for awhile. My better half (and 3 boys) are all into collecting so they don't give me any grief for prepping.

Hear that? That was my jaw hitting the floor. VERY impressive. Job well done!!

Wm.T.

I...............................................................................

........am speechless!

Congratulations on having what must be one of the most impressive fossils in private hands. :applause:

What an effort! You going to Disneyworld now? :P

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I cannot say the first few words that came out of my mouth when I first veiwed that monster!!! My wife heard me from the living room and came in to take a look at what I was seeing!!!!

So heres the thing Mr. Snafu dude. How about if I put a downpayment of 200 bucks, then you ship it to me, and then I pay you 100 bucks a month for 100 years? HA!!! Ok, seriously though, how in the heck do you move somthing like that!? It has to wiegh a ton? and not only that, but if someone was to buy it, who in the heck has a wall big enough to hang it on? Its absolutly amazing! I just cant get over it! Here we all are in this fossil community with 99.9 % of us putting on pictures of sharks teeth, the occasional crab, an ammo or two, some clams and gastros here and there, the occasional bone or such, some ehc's, and then you come and post a pic of that MONSTER!! You really should be super proud of yourself to get something like that done and accomplished! Cudos to you man!!! I do love fossil prepping, but even if I had the time, (6 years), I still dont think I would have the stamina to stick with it? In my book, you are now 'The Dude' the 'Superman of Prep', heck, "The Fossil Guy of the Intire Planet!!!! I need to know your real name, so that I can tell everyone that I know you, and feel important! HA!! Just kidding. Just no words really to say just how nice a fossil that really is. I would love to get a picture of me laying besides that thing. That would make for a cool picture.

RB

• I found this Informative 3

...so that I can tell everyone that I know you, and feel important!

"I'm a member of the same Forum as this guy!" B)

Seriously, I'm showing all my friends!

• I found this Informative 2

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Thanks for the kind words!

As far as weight....It comes apart into 3 pieces. I haven't weighed them, but I estimate the heaviest (head and 8 feet) weighs 200 or so pounds....middle about 100 and tail about 35. Not as bad as you might think. Weight is the reason I made it in the shape of the fish instead of in a rectangle frame. There would have been a lot of "dead" space that would just be filled with heavy plaster.

As far as a wall big enough...I built the room to fit the fish! I have a nice (reinforced) wall that it will fit on nicely.

• I found this Informative 3

The mind reels at the creature and the work you put in prepping it. Just amazing. Now, what do you do for an encore?

Would you mind recounting the story of finding this monster? I don't think I've seen a posting describing that experience.

Besides fossils,

I collect roadcuts,

Stream beds,

Winter beaches:

Places of pilgrimage.

Jasper Burns, Fossil Dreams

Thanks for the kind words!

As far as weight....It comes apart into 3 pieces. I haven't weighed them, but I estimate the heaviest (head and 8 feet) weighs 200 or so pounds....middle about 100 and tail about 35. Not as bad as you might think. Weight is the reason I made it in the shape of the fish instead of in a rectangle frame. There would have been a lot of "dead" space that would just be filled with heavy plaster.

As far as a wall big enough...I built the room to fit the fish! I have a nice (reinforced) wall that it will fit on nicely.

You built a room to fit the fossil!! Holy Cow!! Ive seen and heard alot of stuff about fossils, but this is truly a first!!! Are you going to have to hire someone to sit at the front door to sell tickets? HA!! I think I just might buy one!

RB

What all the others said and more,_ _ _ I just can't find the words :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

KOF, Bill.

Welcome to the forum, all new members

www.ukfossils check it out.

:o best fossil i've ever seen in a private collection :o

WOW :wub:

I now understand your username :D

6 years!!! That's a long time! It's really an awesome piece! How did you find it and get it all together. I read you said it was in three pieces, did you get it out in three pieces from the ground ?

Forum trip to Kansas anyone? :D:D:D

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

So heres the thing Mr. Snafu dude. How about if I put a downpayment of 200 bucks, then you ship it to me, and then I pay you 100 bucks a month for 100 years?

Sorry, but that magnificent specimen is not mine...although, I'd be more then happy for the down payment :D

Wm.T.

Amazing. Put's my entire hobby into perspective.

Dave 1.0

Winter Haven, FL

I hunt the peace river. I Love it.

Abso-frickin-lutely stunning. Beautiful job with the prepping

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

No words not already overly repeated - can just sit back and enjoy an incredible fossil!!!!!!!!!!!!

wooooah! what a find and what a prep job!

"Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitment of possibility!"

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.