Find Of A Lifetime - Finally Prepped!

Xiphactinus

hey, xfishman (sorry, can't spel ya, and that's a factinus) - you need to just permanently set reminders in your cellphone or pda or computer calendar to reply to this thread once a month and repost the pics. c'mon, just do it. it's just not right for people to have to stumble around the forum not knowing that fossil and those pics are lurking around here.

I concur, this is a great find and prep job... you need to show it off a little more. ;)

Agree new pic's or in order Please

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

OK....I have all the trim work done, so it is finally totally finished. I can't get far enough away to get the entire fish in one shot. I did a series that I will Photoshop together this week to make a good composit. Stay tuned!!

Took 6 years from discovery to completion, but it's DONE!!!!

All 17 feet of the bad boy. Note the 4 foot drywall square for scale. The dark area in the middle is where I joined the last two pieces. It will lighten, but I couldn't wait the 3-4 days it will take to share the picture!!

17 foot Xiphactinus audax. Niobrara Chalk, Kansas

:faint: Wow! Unbelievable... Congratulations!

OK....I have all the trim work done, so it is finally totally finished. I can't get far enough away to get the entire fish in one shot. I did a series that I will Photoshop together this week to make a good composit. Stay tuned!!

well, ok, but i'm gonna be mad if it takes six years for this pic to get posted, and if, when it does, it's sideways and i have to scroll down seventeen feet to see it all. :o

I'd have them up today, but I'm leaving right after work to take my boys fishing for smallmouth!

I'd have them up today, but I'm leaving right after work to take my boys fishing for smallmouth!

ok, have a little fun.

use small worms.

Don't do like I did yesterday, stepping over an electric fence, got my #14's tangled, plummeted about 6 feet, and then skidded another 3'. I don't bounce like I used to, a little sore today. But I did catch a mess of fish.

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen

Don't do like I did yesterday, stepping over an electric fence, got my #14's tangled, plummeted about 6 feet, and then skidded another 3'. I don't bounce like I used to, a little sore today. But I did catch a mess of fish.

Brent Ashcraft

Too bad there was no video of the event. You could have made some $$$ !!

Yes, nothing funnier then a fat man falling, although it would have to have been editied for family hour, I am not a silent faller, and I know lots of bad words, and how to use them.

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen

Yes, nothing funnier then a fat man falling, although it would have to have been editied for family hour, I am not a silent faller, and I know lots of bad words, and how to use them.

Brent Ashcraft

Gravity is not my friend either! :P

• 5 years later...

BUMP!

Are you kidding me!...X, I am just now seeing this...what a magnificent find...always wondered about your avatar. You need to start a gallery my friend!

"I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in. Of what avail are forty freedoms without a blank spot on the map?"  ~Aldo Leopold (1887-1948) 

New Mexico Museum of Natural History Bulletins    

point.thumb.jpg.e8c20b9cd1882c9813380ade830e1f32.jpg research.jpg.932a4c776c9696d3cf6133084c2d9a84.jpg  RPV.jpg.d17a6f3deca931bfdce34e2a5f29511d.jpg  SJB.jpg.f032e0b315b0e335acf103408a762803.jpg  butterfly.jpg.71c7cc456dfbbae76f15995f00b221ff.jpg  Htoad.jpg.3d40423ae4f226cfcc7e0aba3b331565.jpg  library.jpg.56c23fbd183a19af79384c4b8c431757.jpg  OIP.jpg.163d5efffd320f70f956e9a53f9cd7db.jpg

AMAZING!! Thanks for sharing. Just realized this post if from a few years back but still totally awesome and worth a revival.

Edited by Megatooth Collector

Awwww....thanks, guys. It was a fun project. I've got a 7'-8' Pachyrhizodus that I've started and stopped prepping on several times. It's a lot tougher prep than the X-fish....got pretty torn up by sharks. Goal is to get it going again soon and have it completed before the year is over.

With a fossil so fantastic, I'm wondering... Did you give it a name?

How 'bout "Nipper"?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

LordTrilobite -

while we were digging it out, we had to build a wooden frame to strengthen the big jacket. We had no power tools, so we were getting creative with hand saws, screwdrivers, etc. At the time, Bob Vila was the home improvement king, so we started wondering how he would make the frame. That morphed into calling the big fish "Bob". So Bob it is.

LordTrilobite -

while we were digging it out, we had to build a wooden frame to strengthen the big jacket. We had no power tools, so we were getting creative with hand saws, screwdrivers, etc. At the time, Bob Vila was the home improvement king, so we started wondering how he would make the frame. That morphed into calling the big fish "Bob". So Bob it is.

Nice!

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

• 4 years later...
On 7/1/2009 at 5:04 AM, Xiphactinus said:

So it has been 10 years, can You post it here now?

• I found this Informative 2

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

I agree with Tony,  recent photos of Bob would be very welcome! 

What an incredible fossil and prep job. 

:drool: indeed! 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

You mean, something a little larger than his avatar? :D

I recall seeing photos of the fish mounted on the wall in another thread.  Don't know if I can find it right off though.

Don

Edit:  good news/bad news (mostly bad).  The complete and mounted fish was shown in this thread.  However, the picture has been lost during one of the forum upgrades over the years.  Maybe @Xiphactinus could post a new image?  That would be great!

Thanks,

Don