Lunchtime Pennsylvanian Finds.

Kehbe

Just a shot of some lunchtime finds from the Pennsylvanian of Kansas City. I only had about thirty minutes to hunt. Thanks for looking! :)

pic1 post-7046-0-07985300-1326229476_thumb.jpg

(edit) I forgot to mention, there is a 'leverite psuedo' in this batch! Noticed it when I got back to work and emptied out my bag! ;) Also, the jawbone is a small possum I think. ;)

Edited by Kehbe

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.

Charles Darwin

Love those fenestrate bryozoans. The preservation looks good. Are you finding enough of them to see the two sides of the colonies?

WOW! A Pennsylvanian marsupial!

What Carl? You didn't know possums could hold their breath and swim with the brachs? This was the elusive 'deep reef possum'! ;) Along the same lines as the 'marine iguana'. Natural selection weeded them out, naturally, they ARE marsupials after all! ;) You must have missed the Jacques Cousteau special a few years back eh?

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.

Charles Darwin

"Deep Reef Possum" would be a good band name!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

"Deep Reef Possum" would be a good band name!

Ha! Awesome.

"They ... savoured the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than ordinary people, who were only ignorant of ordinary things."

-- Terry Pratchett

It was cold today so I had gloves on and I was only picking up large stuff when I ran across this excellent piece of hash! Man alive, I just can't get enough of it! I put the magnifiers on and can look at these kinds of pieces till I'm cross eyed! I just love the diversity and the mystery of how all these animals ended up on this particular plate! Were they alive when they were covered up suddenly or simply carcasses pushed into a crevice by the currents? Kind of looks like a small part of a reef wall that was once teeming with life! Either way it's neat to look at! :)

pic1 post-7046-0-99294000-1326859207_thumb.jpg pic2 post-7046-0-58232800-1326859221_thumb.jpg

pic3 post-7046-0-91834300-1326859264_thumb.jpg pic4 post-7046-0-86754700-1326859315_thumb.jpg

Thanks for looking :)

Charles Darwin

Ah...fossils for lunch, now there's a diet I can live with!!!

Yeah, if I had to choose between fossils and lunch, I'd probably just have a big breakfast and dinner every day.

Kyle, I wonder if it should technically be called a 'hash plate' when you have some complete or nearly complete brachs etc on it as you appear to have... Isnt hash just broken bits of things? I dunno. Nice piece anyway!

Kyle, I wonder if it should technically be called a 'hash plate' when you have some complete or nearly complete brachs etc on it as you appear to have... Isnt hash just broken bits of things? I dunno. Nice piece anyway!

By good ol' Webters standards and first, #1.a. definition, I would have to say you are right! Technically it's not hash! ;) But technically, it's not meat and potatoes either! :lol:

Websters defines 'hash' as...

1. a : to chop (as meat and potatoes) into small pieces

b : confuse, muddle

but the definition of 'hash' at dictionary.com states,

#1. a dish of diced or chopped meat and often vegetables, as of leftover corned beef or veal and potatoes, sautéed in a frying pan or of meat, potatoes, and carrots cooked together in gravy.

#2. a mess, jumble, or muddle:

I would have to go with definition b. if you are looking at Websters and #2 if Dictionary.com. This Posted Pennsylvanian Plate Picture is obviously not meat and veggies but it is a jumble. I just called it a hash plate because it has a jumble of fossils of different varieties and species! I guess the nearly complete Brachs could be considered hunks of roast that didn't get cut up very well ;) I posted some pics a while back of what I thought was some "crinoid coquina" and the question came up as to whether it was 'technically' coquina or was it hash instead! The deciding factor there became, "are the crinoid parts sitting jumbled and numerously 'on' or 'in' the matrix?" or "are the crinoid parts actually 'the' matrix?" Really IMHO, its a matter of semantics! I really do like this piece of rock though! :thumbsu:

Edited by Kehbe

Charles Darwin

I'm going with something between "clambake" and "souse loaf". ;)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Some of my personal definitions:

Hash plate - Whole and/or fragmented shells jumbled together on a slab.

Fossil debris - Broken up stuff on a slab or in a chunk. Eg. 'shell debris'.

(Fossil) bed - Jumble of one type of fossil making up a bed. Eg. 'crinoidal bed', 'shell beds'

(Fossil) zone - Jumble of one type of fossil within a bed. Eg. 'Composita zone'.

Context is critical.

You said it, Indy!

There are also technical terms I have heard, 'life assemblage' (for life-position assemblages, eg. reef communities) and 'death assemblage' for what I guess you guys are calling hash plates, where the dead remains have been disarticulated, possibly transported and jumbled together... tho I'm not sure which I'm looking at there.. maybe a 'combo platter' of both? (or maybe we'll just go with Auspex's 'clambake')

Whatever you call it, ya gotta love those multi-species plates. In my area I usualy find single specimens, but when I find 2 or more on one piece (esp. 2 different things) it's a good day. ;)

Edited by Wrangellian

Conularia crustula was the find of the day at my lunchtime spot in the mudstone above the Muncie Creek! I found several pictures, googling images, of similar pieces but no where did I find information on what exactly what is on top of it! Looks like a concretion material. Any info would be appreciated. The Horn coral is interesting also because it gets so fat at the top and the fact that it was preserved with this white chalky appearance and it was found sandwiched between fractured Cement City limestone slabs. The nodule of course came from the Muncie Creek shale and after it dries out good, I will 'pop' it open! The interesting thing about all three is their common shapes! Heres to looking! :)

pic1 post-7046-0-17969400-1327524912_thumb.jpg pic2 post-7046-0-41101500-1327524927_thumb.jpg

pic3 post-7046-0-18844100-1327525008_thumb.jpg

Thanks! ;)

Charles Darwin

The coral is Caninia torquia. You can be sure you're dealing with the Cement City when you find these large horn corals.

Conularids often have those little nodules at the base, giving them an 'ice cream cone' appearance.

The shape of the big nodule looks promising....

Context is critical.

Oh yes, I wonder what is in that nodule too! Maybe another

Conularid or maybe another surprise.. I love Conularids!

Welcome to the forum!

The nodules with the 'corners' always intrigue me. It's as if something in there is trying to push out. :)

Context is critical.

Okay, I finally broke open the nodule shown in the picture above, Not a conularid but interesting nonetheless! Here it is! Darned if I know what it is! ;) Maybe someone else has an idea! :) Thanks! :)

pic1 post-7046-0-31827800-1328198415_thumb.jpg

pic2 post-7046-0-17838800-1328198432_thumb.jpg

Charles Darwin