Sign in to follow this  
cshahar

Fossil Sites In Quebec

cshahar

Hi Everyone:

Does anyone know of any abandoned quarries that are worth checking out for fossil hunting in Quebec, or other sites that might be promising in this province? I have done some research, but am hampered by my limited mastery of French. I know enough to get by, but am certainly not fluent. Most of the information on Quebec quarries and fossil hunting on the Internet is in French.

I am also interested if any Ontarians have ventured across the Quebec border to look for fossils, and where they recommend I go.

Thanks for any help!

-Charles

Northern Sharks

Welcome from Ontario. I can't help you with any specific locations, but I would recommend that before you go to ANY quarry, active or abandoned, you seek permission from the proper sources. That being said, and answering your question from your introduction post, I don't think any quarry can be totally picked over. New material will continue to weather out. Any quarry in a fossiliferous area is worth at least a quick check

post-77-0-72646600-1326244808_thumb.jpg

cshahar

Thanks. I appreciate your reply. If the quarry is abandoned, who would I seek permission from? I actually was wondering about active quarries, and whether they would actually give permission, given safety concerns and the like. Hmmm. There are numerous active quarries in Quebec. Maybe I should actually try contacting a few to find out!

-Charles

Northern Sharks

For an abandoned quarry, you'd have to try to find the current landowner. As for active quarries, it doesn't hurt to ask, and you don't want to get caught in one without any permission. Around here, there are very few quarries that will let us in due to insurance liability concerns, but with those that do, we are VERY careful to follow the rules they lay out for us.

cshahar

Very good. Any suggestions on how to approach an active quarry? Just say I am looking for fossils? Ask them if there is a convenient time? I better brush up on my French!

Northern Sharks

A simple phone call asking if they will let you in should be sufficient, but obviously let them know why you want in. You may also want to consider joining a local club if there's one in your area. The clubs are more likely to have access to places where an individual won't.

http://www.ccfms.ca/clubs.html

gryphaea1970

You might want to contact the Montreal Gem and Mineral Club in Montreal - their website link is http://www.montrealgemmineralclub.ca/

Used to be a memeber of the club many many years ago when I began fossil hunting around home and local rock cuts in the Montreal area. Someone at the club should be able to help you. Sadly, I have not persevered my hobby in a long time. Many rock cuts that could provide some interesting finds are off limits now. This is the same for Eastern Ontario - good finds on Devonian but all private land and closed access. Good Luck !

Jeffrey P

Does anyone know what the laws are about collecting fossils in Quebec and transporting them across the border to the U.S.? Would like to collect there this summer. Thanks.

FossilizedBob89

Hi I am a fossils hunter from Quebec I know few places around Montreal area and Quebec city area! Nicolet river is good to but on private lands same for lake Memphremagog! I have lots of fossils from all around Quebec devonian and ordovician! Take a look to my photos Gallerie! Last summer few people from new tork state came here and collected fossils with me and no problem to cross them back in the USA! The Club de mineralogie de Montréal have few fossils collecting activities during the summer I will make sure I am a member before next spring! Dont have to be a member to go at theses activities juste go on the club website and send them a email usualy you have to pay a little but it is always worth it!

If anyone wants to join me for a day of collecting in Montreal area next summer pm me!

FossilizedBob89

Sorry Jeff didnt realise it was you! Was fun to collect with you! sure would like to collect togetter again this sunmer! I will make sure to stay a full day this time :) Imagine the number of flexicalymenes I would find with the number I found in a half day la summer!

Edited by FossilizedBob89

taj

Nice galleries ,bye the way . Just crazy to realize there is a productive quarry in La Prairie ! Been there quite a number of times for business purposes , if only I knew!!!!

Chuckasaurus

That quarry in LaPrairie...the large rocks can fall apart in your hands when you stress them the wrong way. Bits of sharp shale wind up in your tightly sealed boots all the time. When it rains you can't see anything in the rocks. You have to spend ALOT of time to find anything worth bringing home, and it's fragile as all heck.

But when you come across a complete Criptolithus (which I haven't done yet) or Triarthrus, (which I haven't done either, and they're loads more common) maaaannnnn it's worth it.

taj

Sooo , if anybody visiting La Prairie quarry ( and some others place around ) and need some company , I'd be more than happy to tag along !

Pseudogygites

Looks like I'm a bit late! I've had some trouble finding abandoned or active quarries in Quebec. My current favourite site is Parc de la Chute-Montmorency! You are almost guaranteed to find some nice fossils there at any time of year! Though, I think the best time to hunt is in the early summer (June). The temperature is the best at that time and you will be able to enjoy a breathtaking view as well! The waterfall erodes pieces of gray shale from the cliffs. I would say that the shale is from the Ordovician or the Silurian. I have only been there once for about an hour and have already found some nice specimens! So far, I have found some Brachiopods, Trackways, and what I think are worm burrows! I will post some pictures of them soon! Don't worry, you do not have to worry about your french. This is coming from someone who can only say, "Où se trouvent les toilettes?"

Pseudogygites
On 2014-05-28 at 9:51 PM, Jeffrey P said:

Does anyone know what the laws are about collecting fossils in Quebec and transporting them across the border to the U.S.? Would like to collect there this summer. Thanks.

I do not know of any laws prohibiting the transport of fossils across the border.