Sign in to follow this  
Rognlien

I'm Very Amatuer, And Need Some Direction

Rognlien

Hey all,

I just found the site and have been looking through the forums. I really love all the disscusion! I went on a backpacking trip in the Grand Canyon last year, and found some fossilised shells and leaves, and now I am hooked. I really like camping and have been doing adventure trips my whole life, and I am excited to get into this new hobby.

What I really need is some good idea for places I can take the wife camping, but there are also opportunities for fossil finds nearby. I live in the South Bay, near Los Angeles, and would really be appreciateive of any tips or directions you may have. I would really like places that are a little off the beathen path, but anywhere would be great! Thank you all for providing this community.

obsessed1

While not too far off the beaten path you may want to check into the fossil hunts at the Ernst Quarries near Bakersfield. They have hunts during the summer and have an area you can pitch a tent and camp.

Rognlien

While not too far off the beaten path you may want to check into the fossil hunts at the Ernst Quarries near Bakersfield. They have hunts during the summer and have an area you can pitch a tent and camp.

'

Thanks for the advice! I will check it out!

Scylla

And only take pictures of the Grand Canyon fossils.

Quarry411

Were still trying to improve our campground, but were getting there. We should have a picnic area in place by the end of spring. You can get info and see pictures at: www.sharktoothhillproperty.com

AndrewJ

You might meet some fellow local enthusiasts by attending a meeting of the Southern California Paleontological Society ( http://sites.google.com/site/scpaleo/ ). They have meetings (and usually a field trip) most months.

Shannonc115

I am very new at this. I want to post a few of my Precambrian finds near an escuary and what appears to be very old horse teeth? Fossils but I can not find where to upload pictures. I'm on an iPhone, switch to a desktop?

Auspex

You will have much better luck from a desktop.

caldigger

Yea, would have to say, you don't want to be taking anything from a National Park, unless it came out of the gift shop. If you do, you might find those nice gentlemen in green uniforms knocking on your tent to take YOU away. I have found a few fossils over the years, but they were always outside of the park boundaries. It is an exciting and fun activity, I would hate to hear your recreation was interrupted with a prison sentence...that's not fun!.