Northern Sharks

Just a few pics of my collection of teeth and bitten bones. Enjoy

post-77-1192985690_thumb.jpg

post-77-1192985799_thumb.jpg

post-77-1192985868_thumb.jpg

post-77-1192985936_thumb.jpg

post-77-1192986034_thumb.jpg

post-77-1192986109_thumb.jpg

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Thanks for the compliments guys. Just thought I'd add, for size reference, the small labels are 1 5/8 x 3/4 inches in size.

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Those are great shark teeth displays.

Re your predated bones....do you have an age on them?

Here's a couple photos bites and predation from Cretceous material in my collection. I really haven't come across too many predation evidence or pathologies bot the hadrosaur caudal vertebra has both...the sign of a healed fracture in life and the sign of a predation gnaw in death.

post-69-1192999386_thumb.jpg This vertebra (tail bone) healed in life after a fracture

post-69-1192999399_thumb.jpg The same vertebra (reverse) with bite marks

post-69-1192999448_thumb.jpg 'Gnaw' marks are often in parallel

post-69-1192999470_thumb.jpg 'Ouch! Preatory dinos, like sharks, often lst their teeth when taking big bites

Hey Worthy,

I'm curious. Is that a big horse tooth in the photo with the shark tooth? Is it Pleistocene in age? In those deposits do you get a big mix of 'stuff' both aquatic (like sharks) and terrestrial (like horses)? Is it all churned up?

As I know it, the bones are Miocene age. They came from Aurora NC, Summerville SC, other unspecified areas in the Carolinas, Florida and the Netherlands. The Meg tooth in the pic with the bones is from New Caledonia in the South Pacific and is unusual in that it hasn't been all polished up. It just doesn't fit in the display case. The bones themselves were all bought as whale bones with the exception of a section of dolphin jaw. Geofossil, that bone with the tooth in it looks amazing. Is it natural or someones handiwork? I see lots of whale verts for sale with teeth stuck to them, but the teeth are on the ends where the vertebrae were connected, and that just ain't right.

I missed the 2 small vertebrae. They are Cretaceous in age from the bony fish Xiphactinus Audax and are an associated pair with some bite damage from the Niobrara chalk in Kansas.

quote: "Is it natural or someones handiwork? I see lots of whale verts for sale with teeth stuck to them, but the teeth are on the ends where the vertebrae were connected, and that just ain't right. " (for some reason the 'quote' feauture doesn't work for me).

Yes, that's a real one. I've only ever come across this one and one other one. The other one was in raptor tooth in an unio clam. There are a few beds of fossil freshwater mollusca and some of the unios show puncture marks from predators. Unfortunately I wasn't sure it was a raptor tooth as there was only a glint of 'something' showing in a predation hole. It wasn't the greatest clam fossil and I whacked it with my hammer....and the pieces fell away from around the raptor tooth. I always regret not briging it home intact.

I have a friend who was picking through some larger pieces of pelvic and femurs and he also found an embedded tooth.

This is the type of 'stuff' we can find intermixed among unios and other mollusca:

post-69-1193011261_thumb.jpg

And this is an unio with a predation puncture. It's coincidence that freshwater unionidae clams are still found today in the rivers that have shaped the surrounding Cretaceous deposits. Modern unio clams are sometimes eaten by coyotes and the bite marks aren't all that different from fossil specimens (predation marks made from champsosaurs, crocodilia, raptors, etc.

post-69-1193011347_thumb.jpg

post-69-1193011283_thumb.jpg

geofossil, the horse tooth was found in the Santa Fe River and the shark tooth was found in the Suwannee River . :Thumbs-up:

post-23-1193056447_thumb.jpg

It's my bone!!!

• 8 months later...
Guest bmorefossil

very nice stuff, i got a bunch of bones with damage to them, but only 2 or 3 with teeth still in them

Archived