cfin1974

Where Is Shark River? Where To Look, Where Is Ram? Bb Veteran..

cfin1974

Hello all... I am new here. I have been collecting for a while at big brook and always find good stuff there. I'd like to go to the ram but really don't know how to get there and when I go where do I look. I also want to go to shark river. no idea where to look there either. I went to shark river park a few weeks ago and I get out of the car and some guys says oh no teeth here shark river is by belmar marina... huh?? I am close to all of these places. I want to get more recent teeth at shark river. I heard u can find some chub or angustidens there. Can u guys give me a heads up where to look and what i can find at shark river and the ram. thanks guys and hope to see u guys around. I don't get on the computer much to post but I'll try to...... Thanks Chris

Fossildude19

Hello, and welcome to the Forum! :)

This thread may be useful.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

fossilsofnj

Hi Chris and welcome to the forum. No angustidens in our area the Oligocene is conspicuously missing in NJ. Finding the more productive areas of Shark River can be a bit tricky, PM me and I’ll send you some detailed instructions. It’s a fair hike from where you parked. The area has been dug out for years now, but the stream will produce some decent finds every now and then, requires a lot of work.

A word of caution, the geology can make areas very prone to collapsing. Some of the swampy areas have pockets of mud that get covered with leaves and you can find yourself knee deep in mud very quickly. Just use some common sense, I’ve always found SR a rather enjoyable place to collect.

john

cfin1974

Thank you guys for taking the time to give me the info. I really appreciate it.