Crinoid Lake Monroe Indiana

Jdeutsch

I found this fossil, which I assume is the top of a crinoid, along Lake Monroe, IN- outside Bloomington.

I don't know much about the geology of that region, bit there were a fair number of small peices of crinoid stems on the shore, as well as some geodes. Wondering if someone has an ID on this specimen and information about that area. I'd like to go back. There seemed like a lot of potential for some fun finds.

post-7729-0-93978500-1326773553_thumb.jpg

It is a geodized crinoid crown. I have found a few myself. Usually hard to tell which crinoid. I have geodes from over that way that are crinoid heads, brachiopods, gastropods. They are cool. In the past I have found a place on eastern side that has whole, ungeodized crinoids so the potential is there. Good find and ID keep looking...

The web page on Geode fossils was really helpful. I'm saving it. After looking it over I went back to my "Indiana" box. I saved some geodes for their intrinsic beauty- but now they remind me of Rick Banner turning into the incredible hulk. I can't really guess what #1 is-. I didn't notice the features on #2 until after looking at the web page. I cleaned it up a bit and was surprised. I guess it is a deformed blastoid or crinoid. I didn't realise that the obvious corals (3) were part of the same process that made the globular fossils.

Central Indiana is definitely on a list of "return to" places.

post-7729-0-01368000-1326850577_thumb.jpg

post-7729-0-34598500-1326850633_thumb.jpg

post-7729-0-29001500-1326850647_thumb.jpg

I'm so glad you posted this one, and that I noticed.

I have one of these too. I've always thought it was a crinoid crown, but was absolutely convinced that I'd never be able to figure out what kind.

Now, at least I have this info.

My next step will be to contact the rock shop I got it at (back in May, 2001) and see if they have geodes from IN.

Thanks again.

Oh.....are there many, many places where geodized crinoids may come from (like, it's just a common geologic process, and we could find them anywhere, and that's it), or is it a phenomenon that seems to have a level of hyperactivity in certain areas?

scale in avatar is millimeters

Come visit Sandi, the 'Fossil Journey Cruiser'

WIPS (the Western Interior Paleontological Society - http://www.westernpaleo.org)

"Being genetically cursed with an almost inhuman sense of curiosity and wonder, I'm hard-wired to investigate even the most unlikely, uninteresting (to others anyway) and irrelevant details; often asking hypothetical questions from many angles in an attempt to understand something more thoroughly."

-- Mr. Edonihce

I can't speak for other places but these, especially the stems, are pretty common in many places of southern Indiana. Like Jdeutsch said, Lake Monroe is a good place to find them but many areas around Bloomington or Bedford are equally good collecting spots. Happy hunting!

"They ... savoured the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than ordinary people, who were only ignorant of ordinary things."

-- Terry Pratchett

I'm so glad you posted this one, and that I noticed.

I have one of these too. I've always thought it was a crinoid crown, but was absolutely convinced that I'd never be able to figure out what kind.

Now, at least I have this info.

My next step will be to contact the rock shop I got it at (back in May, 2001) and see if they have geodes from IN.

Thanks again.

Oh.....are there many, many places where geodized crinoids may come from (like, it's just a common geologic process, and we could find them anywhere, and that's it), or is it a phenomenon that seems to have a level of hyperactivity in certain areas?

If that is possible, then the area of Southern Indiana in which I live is one of them. I drive by a couple of houses everyday that have walls covered in geodes instead of bricks.

The web page on Geode fossils was really helpful. I'm saving it. After looking it over I went back to my "Indiana" box. I saved some geodes for their intrinsic beauty- but now they remind me of Rick Banner turning into the incredible hulk. I can't really guess what #1 is-. I didn't notice the features on #2 until after looking at the web page. I cleaned it up a bit and was surprised. I guess it is a deformed blastoid or crinoid. I didn't realise that the obvious corals (3) were part of the same process that made the globular fossils.

Central Indiana is definitely on a list of "return to" places.

I love the botryoidal chalcedony geode (the first photo) and maybe it will flourese under UV light.

Many times I've wondered how much there is to know.  
led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

• 2 weeks later...

There are tons of these things in the Ft.Payne formation around Lake Cumberland,KY. I've been told by a couple people that these crinoid calyxes had bacterial growth in them that caused internal production of gases during decompostition that caused the heads to swell greatly? I have found them as big as softballs.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Archived