Ethologist

Westmoreland State Park - Fossil Hunting?

Ethologist

Hello forum members!

Does anyone have any opinion or experience with searching for fossils at Westmoreland State Park?

I was thinking about giving it a try, but wasn't sure about it. As I have only heard about fossils there in brief mentions and in passing.

Thanks in advance!

Auspex

At the downriver end is a very small, heavily searched hunting area. Upriver near the jetties you can find some small, usually worn teeth. Please do not yield to temptation and trespass under the cliffs to the south: Stratford Hall is serious about prosecuting.

PaleoRon

The cliffs at Westmoreland S.P. are also off limits. 20 years ago it was an awesome place to collect.

flyersfan805

We went this summer, and thoroughly enjoyed the park... as a park... lol we looked for four days and came up with a small bag of teeth but not much else. I can see if you were allowed to hunt in front of the cliffs, but alas they are very off limits. We did see a few people diving in front of the cliff area and I can see how that could yield some nice fossils, but for serious fossil hunting I would pass.

Mike

squali

We camped at Westmoreland state park 4 or 5 years ago. Have to say, a beautiful state park! :) nice sites and trails. the onsite staff was very friendly. April showers brought snow that collapsed the food tent. It was Saturday. The North Shore. Rumors in the ladies room sent us East in search of an EASY brekfast. After passing the EASY gas station muffin in search of a country brekfast we wound up at Sue's. 45 minutes east of the park. :P If you want to see a unique America and maybe collect a partial whale rib and some occasional shark teeth I would recommend the place. :D

Ethologist

I typically visit Brownie's Beach/Bayfront Park and have visited Calvert Cliff's State Park once. With Westmoreland not being that fruitful, can anyone give any suggestions of places to try. Brownie's Beach has been decent to me, but after years have not found anything impressive (Exciting to me. But, most likely, not to most of you).

Any tips or suggestions would be much appreciated! I am going off to grad school this summer and would like to make the most of the area before I leave!

Edited by Ethologist

Auspex

Flag Ponds State Park comes up often in conversation: LINK

As a MD State Park, there is an entrance fee (higher if your not a MD resident). As with all bay cliff sites, low tide is best.

richardfulton

There is a very hot collecting area along the base of the cliffs that can only be reached by boat (which we rented from the developed beach) at low tide. As for the undeveloped beach, crabs have been reported in the nodules at the base (some are saying that is off limits now), but all I have found were big clam castings, some with Turritella inside.

jmkhiggs

I live just a few minutes from the park and have hunted there for over 20 years. The best places are either off limits now or private. There is an island just south of Horse Head Cliffs (Westmoreland State Park and Stratford Hall) that can be reached by boat. It is private, but the owner sells season passes. Locally, it's known as Shark's Tooth Island, and you can get contact information by searching that name plus Potomac River.

StreamWalker

Not much luck for me here of late as access to the fossil rich cliffs are forbidden now. However I have to say Westmoreland State Park is very scenic and a nice place to camp.

CrocodileJen

I live in VA and agree that Westmoreland is very picked over. Lovely park though. It was the first place I went fossiI hunting, back when I was a little girl and you were able to walk under the Stratford Hall cliffs. Magical memories.

I found a website that organizes fossilling expeditions, and they get permission to hunt at Stratford Hall. I hope to go on one soon, but haven't yet http://www.fossilandnaturetrips.com/index.html

I started going to Shark Tooth Island this year and it is fun, great for kids, plentiful with small teeth, ray dental plates, bones (when I concentrate I can find about 1 a minute), but lots of broken pieces since they had to travel to get there.

early bird

I've found up to 50 fossil shark's teeth, vertebra and croc teeth in one day at Westmoreland State Park.

post-20199-0-75516700-1449101927_thumb.jpg

Auspex

It's a small collecting area, and it is hunted hard, but I am glad to see that the old place still produces :)