Mushroom ?

NSRaddict_1

Here is some closeups of base and top :

Mushroom_closeup.jpg

Mushroom_closeup2.jpg

Hunting fossils is fun , but discovering is better !

Guest solius symbiosus
No , open for suggestions of what kind of test to try .

What is the "red bed" in NSR composed of ?

If anyone is local , we will be at NSR tomorrow and you are welcome to examine the piece in person if it would help .

I would start with hardness; HERE is a link.

Just a guess, but have you found any man made artifacts at NSR? (Where is that by the way?) The item could be Native American but I've never seen a pestel that small or that shape. That could explain the ware and the piece in the center. Maybe it was for grinding?

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

My 2 cents worth, I have seen alot of bryozoan sticking through some of the red rocks from the red zone. I have personally found several of very interesting shapes, before they come loose, the water over time will give them different patterns on the out side. Not to long ago on ebay someone tried to sell a cluster of them for bones in matrix, but you could tell they where not bone. You also will find baculites in the red rocks that look very simular to that also. I am at the NSR 3 or 4 times a week and have seem some pretty interesting ones. OK that was a dime, just my thoughts on it.

You have examined it with a 20X loupe; did you look at it with a mind for inclusions? I'm now wondering whether it might be a coprolite.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

The outside of the thing seems to have the texture largely tumbled off of it. The protected surfaces under the "cap" almost look like some of the sponges I've seen. On the other hand, the "stem" looks like a cast of a tube like shrimp and other critters make. The "cap" could have been formed by weird hydraulic actions in the tube? So I'm guessing either sponge thing or trace fossil.

I have to say I agree with tracer on this , it does look like some of the sponges or coral that are present in NSR .

I did see some material yesterday at the river that had the same texture as the underside of the piece , very unusual piece either way .

Hunting fossils is fun , but discovering is better !

• 1 year later...

that is definitely from the Sulphur I recognize that red material. I have found some very unusual shaped things out there made out of the same material. Most of them I came to the conclusion were burrow formations of some kind. I would love for yours to be a mushroom, it definately looks the part. Unfortunately, its probably just a burrow cast like the ones I have found but of course what do I know. Just hold onto it for the unusuall conversation peice it is. Excellent find.

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

I thought it was a bullet to begin with...looked sorta like copper, but if it's stone, then I don't have a clue what it is.

I don`t think it`s a crinoid crown... I strongly think that is a man (antique? Looks like ceramic quite old stuff; I`ve been working in archaeological excavations, and strange things always appeared!)made pottery piece of...something!

To know if it is pottery, rather than rock, try this, disgusting but rather effective experiment. Put the tip of your tongue in contact with the object (UGH! :wacko: We use to do this examination "method" during excavations...). If it sticks to it, here you are! Pottery! If not, could be metal stuff or fossil(I doubt it!)

• 1 year later...

I might have missed it, but where was it found? What age/etc?

If it's marine, I would agree with tracer, that it could be a sponge.. the unworn texture under the 'cap' I think is reminiscent of a calcareous sponge. That's my amateur opinion!

Archived