Pennsylvanian Age Nodule

Roz

This one has shell material.. I am going to freeze/thaw it further but wanted to post

for an ID first.. My best guess is some kind of Orthocone.. Does anyone else think that

is what it is? It definitely has shell material.. The first pic is for size only. The fossil is

inside the rounded area in the pic.. It's very tiny.. The pic of the fossil itself was taken

with the loupe againt the camera lense and that is as clear as I could get it..

post-13-0-00303800-1327080002_thumb.jpg

post-13-0-30543900-1327080018_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the forum!

Nice one :)

trilo? some kind of cephalopod? :wacko: :wacko:

Yes, I am leaning toward cephalopod like an orthocone so far.. I am pretty sure

it is not trilo..

Welcome to the forum!

Yeah thats an Orthoconic cephalopod.

Cant think of relitive genus.

PUBLICATIONS

Dallas Paleontology Society Occasional Papers Vol. 9 2011

"Pennsylvanian Stratigraphy and Paleoecology of Outcrops in Jacksboro, Texas"

Author

Texas Paleontology Society Feb, 2011

"Index Fossils and You" A primer on how to utilize fossils to assist in relative age dating strata"

Author

Quotes

"Beer, Bacon, and Bivalves!"

"Say NO to illegal fossil buying / selling"

"They belong in a museum."

Education

Associates of Science - 2011

Bachelors of Science (Geology & Biology) - 2012 est.

Thanks! I am planning on getting more out although I kind of like it

like it is, especially now I know..

Welcome to the forum!

I'm inclined to agree with orthocone but it still seems odd to see the lack of uniformity in the spacing of the sutures, especially considering at least two of them show the wider spacing perfectly aligned with each other. Anyway how often would you see more than two laying beside each other like that? I don't have a better answer just this pesky doubt.

edit: Are there any crinoid arms that could look like this?

Edited by BobWill

...it still seems odd to see the lack of uniformity in the spacing of the sutures, especially considering at least two of them show the wider spacing perfectly aligned with each other. Anyway how often would you see more than two laying beside each other like that?...

My reservations exactly.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Hmmm, well to be honest I never thought of that.. You certainly have a point..

I doubt crinoid arms as this has the shine of shell to me.. I will have to rethink this..

I will have to do more rounds of freeze/thaw to be sure

Welcome to the forum!

Crinoid was my initial thought, too. Kind of looks like some parasitic borings on one of the arms (3 round spots in the center one).

Can't wait to see what you come up with!

Steve

I'm not sure of the crinoid idea myself, the closeup seems to show a continuity between the 'arms' that I wouldnt expect to see in a crinoid, unless there are crinoids with this kind of connection on the calyx, at the 'base' of the arms just before they diverge... if I'm making any sense? (might help if I knew all the anatomical terms)

I'm not sure of the crinoid idea myself, the closeup seems to show a continuity between the 'arms' that I wouldnt expect to see in a crinoid, unless there are crinoids with this kind of connection on the calyx, at the 'base' of the arms just before they diverge... if I'm making any sense? (might help if I knew all the anatomical terms)

I see what you're sayin. the largest shaft seems to be connected to the mostly broken away one on the left and for that matter, they may all be one continous piece. This blows all our ideas out of the water! I know. It's a quadrobite :)

I see what you're sayin. the largest shaft seems to be connected to the mostly broken away

one on the left and for that matter, they may all be one continous piece. This blows all our

ideas out of the water! I know. It's a quadrobite :)

post-6417-0-03483600-1327248106_thumb.jpg post-6417-0-13600000-1327252716_thumb.jpg

Edited by Indy

Flash from the Past (Show Us Your Fossils)
MAPS Fossil Show

It's already so tiny to start with I guess it's asking too much for a sharper picture, so Roz, could you get an electron-micro-sono-scan-o-gram of that thang :P

It's already so tiny to start with I guess it's asking too much for a sharper picture, so Roz,

could you get an electron-micro-sono-scan-o-gram of that thang :P

Or...Roz...upload the original picture (if larger than the one you originally posted)

and I'll edit it :)

Flash from the Past (Show Us Your Fossils)
MAPS Fossil Show

I'm really interested in this so have taken the liberty of editing it in the meantime..

post-45-0-28823300-1327259131_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bill

KOF, Bill.

Welcome to the forum, all new members

www.ukfossils check it out.

Nice job, Bill.. I see a small 4th one now to the left.. Someone mentioned it but I

couldn't see it before.. The original shot is with a penny and the nodule but nothing

shows at all till it's cropped.. I tried to crop even closer but my shot is so close to Bill's

that I didn't add it.. Hopefully more will be exposed with more cycles of freeze/thaw..

Welcome to the forum!

It's already so tiny to start with I guess it's asking too much for a sharper picture, so Roz, could you get an electron-micro-sono-scan-o-gram of that thang :P

:D I could maybe borrow Pleecan's ....

Welcome to the forum!

It could be a fragment of a conical shell with longitudinal ribbing:

post-6808-0-77875800-1327272414_thumb.png

I've found shells of nautiloids and scaphopods like this with such ribbing on the outside of the shells, but yours appears to be an internal mold.

Also, it is possible that the 'sutures' could just be regularly spaced fractures (edit: though they are too regular for that to be likely).

Edited by Missourian

Context is critical.

Yes, that's possible, Missourian to the first part..

I agree it's unlikely that the sutures could be regularly spaced fractures..

Oh, I took that image of the (original closeup) using my loupe next to the camera

lense so I can't really get a closer shot than that..

Welcome to the forum!

Yeah, too orderly to be fractures.

Has anyone ever seen such irregularly spaced nautiloid sutures?

Context is critical.

no ones thinking oyster, eh? :coldb: :)

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus