I just acquired some new specimens in my Moroccan Kem Kem dinosaur and reptile tooth collection. Thought i'd show you guys the lot. They are all from the Kem Kem/Tegana Formation near Taouz, Morocco. As you can see i love collecting dinosaur and reptile teeth from this area! The larger ones are incredibly rare and virtually non-existant at the formation nowadays. I'm quite proud of them! What do you guys think?

P.S- that "Ankylosaur" tooth was infact looked at by Robert Bakker. He thinks it is from an Ankylosaur, which is ultra rare because no Ankylosaurs are known from the formation yet!

post-5373-0-69989400-1327103555_thumb.jpg post-5373-0-95846700-1327103585_thumb.jpg post-5373-0-23746900-1327103617_thumb.jpg

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

-Eternal Enemies: Lions And Hyenas

post-5373-0-47972700-1327103768_thumb.jpg post-5373-0-31690700-1327103830_thumb.jpg Edited by Paleoworld-101

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

post-5373-0-01898000-1327103877_thumb.jpg post-5373-0-55255400-1327103907_thumb.jpg post-5373-0-00148900-1327103936_thumb.jpg

post-5373-0-05729900-1327104033_thumb.jpg post-5373-0-81960800-1327104056_thumb.jpg

Very impressive. I can approximate, but what are the sizes of the largest teeth? Also, the sawfish tooth in the third pic (1st post) is mis-identified -it should be Onchopristis numidus. Another example is correctly ID'd in the 4th pic

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Very impressive. I can approximate, but what are the sizes of the largest teeth? Also, the sawfish tooth in the third pic (1st post) is mis-identified -it should be Onchopristis numidus. Another example is correctly ID'd in the 4th pic

Both of the large Carcharodontosaurus teeth measure 3 and 2/16 inches on the straight and the 2 giant Spino teeth measure 4 1/8 inches (straight measurement). Yes i know that label is incorrect, it was bought from an antique store and they wrote that. I made the correct one.

Well done! You have a high quality collection :wub:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

They are some nice fossils! Well done! Are you on a second cabinet or did you rearange it?

Best wishes,

Thomas.

Can you show a closer picture of the 'ankylosaur' tooth? Something does not look right.

-PzF

I'll upload a close up pic of it soon. What doesn't look right?

They are some nice fossils! Well done! Are you on a second cabinet or did you rearange it?

Best wishes,

Thomas.

I rearranged it :) Kem Kem stuff now gets it's own shelf, they are my favorite fossils to collect.

Edited by Paleoworld-101

Could just be the image, I will wait until there is a better picture to voice my opinion. Thanks and nice collection!

-PzF

Here is a pic up close of both sides. Sorry bout the shadow, couldn't avoid it under my desk light.

post-5373-0-51681500-1327305631_thumb.jpg post-5373-0-98842800-1327305651_thumb.jpg

Hi,

Small craftiness to ease the shadow : you put a reflector towards the shadow (a sheet of white paper for example). It is going to send back the light on the face in the shadow. It is easy and the difference is good ;)

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

You got some really nice teeth there, man!

I have a few teeth from the Kem Kem beds myself, but yours are deffinitely better looking. I have a small Spinosaurus tooth still in the matrix, a small raptor claw (not sure if it is hand or foot claw) and a raptor tooth, a Mosasaurus beaugei tooth and a 2.4 inch (straight line measurement) Carcharodontosaurus saharicus (that one is a beauty, though a bit smaller than your teeth are).

Oh, and I'm pretty sure that your raptor teeth aren't Deltadromeus. It's a common misidentification, since Deltadromeus was once thought to be a raptor species if I'm not mistaken, but in fact it was a larger predator. So your raptor teeth belong to an (as of yet) unidentified raptor species. Or perhaps they do belong to a Deltadromeus (if they are bigger), in which case they aren't raptor teeth. Either way, they are very cool :)

You got some really nice teeth there, man!

I have a few teeth from the Kem Kem beds myself, but yours are deffinitely better looking. I have a small Spinosaurus tooth still in the matrix, a small raptor claw (not sure if it is hand or foot claw) and a raptor tooth, a Mosasaurus beaugei tooth and a 2.4 inch (straight line measurement) Carcharodontosaurus saharicus (that one is a beauty, though a bit smaller than your teeth are).

Oh, and I'm pretty sure that your raptor teeth aren't Deltadromeus. It's a common misidentification, since Deltadromeus was once thought to be a raptor species if I'm not mistaken, but in fact it was a larger predator. So your raptor teeth belong to an (as of yet) unidentified raptor species. Or perhaps they do belong to a Deltadromeus (if they are bigger), in which case they aren't raptor teeth. Either way, they are very cool :)

Thanks for the reply! I might be able to tell you if it's a hand or foot claw, it's all about the shape. And yes i know about the whole Deltadromeus mis-identification thing. It really bugs me when dealers sell their small raptor teeth as being from Deltadromeus. Since no skull material has been found it's impossible to say what really is a Delta tooth. I put in the question marks to rectify it a little. Oh and Deltadromeus is now considered to be the last of the Ceratosaurs. So your right, not a raptor at all :)

Well, if you could tell wether it's a foot or a hand claw, I'd really appreciate it (no sweat if you don't know) :)

I made 3 new photos of the said claw, if it's any help to you. The claw isn't in the best shape, but a perfect one would be waaaay out of my budget. The scale is in centimeters.

post-7253-0-05078000-1327401566_thumb.jpgpost-7253-0-78915200-1327401573_thumb.jpgpost-7253-0-55885600-1327401578_thumb.jpg

Well, if you could tell wether it's a foot or a hand claw, I'd really appreciate it (no sweat if you don't know) :)

I made 3 new photos of the said claw, if it's any help to you. The claw isn't in the best shape, but a perfect one would be waaaay out of my budget. The scale is in centimeters.

post-7253-0-05078000-1327401566_thumb.jpgpost-7253-0-78915200-1327401573_thumb.jpgpost-7253-0-55885600-1327401578_thumb.jpg

My guess would be on foot (pes) claw. The majority of hand (manus) claws i've seen tend to be more continuously curved then that, but of coarse i am not 100% certain. The tip end is curved enough to be a hand claw but the back straightens out like a foot claw. Weird. Anyway, thanks for the pix!

Thanks for the answear! Yeah, the shape is a bit weird I agree, and it isn't perfectly preserved, so it could be difficult to tell. It also looks somewhat deformed, it's very thin in cross section.

Do you have any dino teeth from other locations (countries) also? And how much did the Sarcosuchus tooth cost you? I'm interested in getting one, I think I might have a good chance in getting something like that on a smaller fossil show in Slovenia this year (there's always a selection of Kem Kem material, of course not nearly as much as you can get on a bigger fossil show, but if you're lucky you can find some really interesting pieces there).

Edited by Tyrannoraptor

Excellent collection. Very impressive!!!

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022

Thanks for the answear! Yeah, the shape is a bit weird I agree, and it isn't perfectly preserved, so it could be difficult to tell. It also looks somewhat deformed, it's very thin in cross section.

Do you have any dino teeth from other locations (countries) also? And how much did the Sarcosuchus tooth cost you? I'm interested in getting one, I think I might have a good chance in getting something like that on a smaller fossil show in Slovenia this year (there's always a selection of Kem Kem material, of course not nearly as much as you can get on a bigger fossil show, but if you're lucky you can find some really interesting pieces there).

No worries :) Yes i have a few dinosaur teeth not from the Kem Kem, a few Edmontosaur/Hadrosaur teeth, a Triceratops tooth and a possible Velociraptor tooth from Mongolia. I didn't buy the sarco tooth individually, it was part of a bulk buy deal that included more than half of the stuff on this shelf. Virtually all the small teeth, the sarco, the 2 giant spinos and the dark red Carch tooth were bought for only 900 bucks!!!! Do the math on the specimens individually and you easily go over $1500. The seller was REALLY generous, and he's been dealing with Kem Kem fossils for years. If i was to buy the sarco individually though i wouldn't really expect over $100. Perhaps $60. Make sure however that the sarco tooth you buy has a crown of over 1.5" because anything less than that is likely just a normal cretaceous croc tooth, even if it's labelled as sarco. Sellers do this all the time. The one i got has a crown of 2 inches.

Excellent collection. Very impressive!!!

Thanks!

No worries :) Yes i have a few dinosaur teeth not from the Kem Kem, a few Edmontosaur/Hadrosaur teeth, a Triceratops tooth and a possible Velociraptor tooth from Mongolia. I didn't buy the sarco tooth individually, it was part of a bulk buy deal that included more than half of the stuff on this shelf. Virtually all the small teeth, the sarco, the 2 giant spinos and the dark red Carch tooth were bought for only 900 bucks!!!! Do the math on the specimens individually and you easily go over $1500. The seller was REALLY generous, and he's been dealing with Kem Kem fossils for years. If i was to buy the sarco individually though i wouldn't really expect over $100. Perhaps $60. Make sure however that the sarco tooth you buy has a crown of over 1.5" because anything less than that is likely just a normal cretaceous croc tooth, even if it's labelled as sarco. Sellers do this all the time. The one i got has a crown of 2 inches.

That was a great buy! You gotta love bargains (well, if you look at the individual prices it kind of was a bargain) :D

That's not too bad, compared to what some of my other fossils costed me a Sarco tooth would be among the cheaper ones. Thanks for the info, looks like I'll have to be careful, and I'll deffinitely avoid the smaller "Sarco" teeth then. If there aren't any worth getting I'll rather try and get a nicer Spinosaurus tooth. The one I have now doesn't look too bad, it's just tiny compared to some others that I've seen...

You have a possible Velociraptor tooth? Nice! I was hoping to get one last October on the Munich show, but I didn't see any (it could be that I didn't look hard enough though, but the place was huge). I really wanted a Velociraptor tooth, but no matter, since I did get a T. rex tooth (the one in my avatar), which was my primary target. Plus I also got a Triceratops tooth (upper jaw), which together with a T. rex tooth makes a perfect combo (you know, predator and its prey). Anyway, whatever location, dino teeth are my biggest interest, so congratulations for building up such a nice collection! :)

That was a great buy! You gotta love bargains (well, if you look at the individual prices it kind of was a bargain) :D

That's not too bad, compared to what some of my other fossils costed me a Sarco tooth would be among the cheaper ones. Thanks for the info, looks like I'll have to be careful, and I'll deffinitely avoid the smaller "Sarco" teeth then. If there aren't any worth getting I'll rather try and get a nicer Spinosaurus tooth. The one I have now doesn't look too bad, it's just tiny compared to some others that I've seen...

You have a possible Velociraptor tooth? Nice! I was hoping to get one last October on the Munich show, but I didn't see any (it could be that I didn't look hard enough though, but the place was huge). I really wanted a Velociraptor tooth, but no matter, since I did get a T. rex tooth (the one in my avatar), which was my primary target. Plus I also got a Triceratops tooth (upper jaw), which together with a T. rex tooth makes a perfect combo (you know, predator and its prey). Anyway, whatever location, dino teeth are my biggest interest, so congratulations for building up such a nice collection! :)

How big is your spino tooth? 3.5 inches and up seems to be the "huge" tooth class, but anything over 3 inches is also great and now very rare. I see sellers on ebay boasting their 1.5 inch teeth as "big", yeah right! The velociraptor tooth is clearly labelled as "Velociraptor Mongoliensis, 80 million years ago, Gobi Desert, Mongolia" which is legit. However i have heard a few bad things about the seller and considering a Velociraptor tooth is very rare on the market, i'd expect it to be more than the 30 bucks i paid for it. It's just under 1cm, but still great quality. So it might just be a Moroccan raptor tooth or it could infact be a velociraptor tooth, don't know for sure.

Nice rex tooth! I don't have one yet :(

Edited by Paleoworld-101