How big is your spino tooth? 3.5 inches and up seems to be the "huge" tooth class, but anything over 3 inches is also great and now very rare. I see sellers on ebay boasting their 1.5 inch teeth as "big", yeah right! The velociraptor tooth is clearly labelled as "Velociraptor Mongoliensis, 80 million years ago, Gobi Desert, Mongolia" which is legit. However i have heard a few bad things about the seller and considering a Velociraptor tooth is very rare on the market, i'd expect it to be more than the 30 bucks i paid for it. It's just under 1cm, but still great quality. So it might just be a Moroccan raptor tooth or it could infact be a velociraptor tooth, don't know for sure.

Nice rex tooth! I don't have one yet :(

Well, my Spino tooth isn't that big, just under 2 inches or so, but it appears to be the whole crown, minus the root. It's still in the matrix, so it's a nice piece. But something a bit bigger would be great to have. This is the tooth (the scale is in cm):

post-7253-0-87624200-1328089959_thumb.jpg

Don't give up, it is possible to get a somewhat reasonably priced rex tooth. Possible, but not easy. Mine is 2.1 inches and I got it for "only" 450 € (would have been 500 €, but the seller gave me some discount), which is still a lot, but considering the going rate is somewhere around 1000 $ per inch (depending on the quality) it was a great deal indeed. It's not the best quality tooth, but that doesn't really bother me. So it is possible to get a T. rex tooth without going broke, and that's a start. I suggest you to keep looking for one on some bigger fossil shows, you might get lucky ;)

As for your possible Velociraptor tooth... Well, it still could be a genuine one, but even if it is not, it's still a Dromaeosaur tooth. Of course it would be better if it was genuine, but having any Dromaeosaur piece at all is still something. They were fascinating creatures :)

Edited by Tyrannoraptor

Well, my Spino tooth isn't that big, just under 2 inches or so, but it appears to be the whole crown, minus the root. It's still in the matrix, so it's a nice piece. But something a bit bigger would be great to have. This is the tooth (the scale is in cm):

post-7253-0-87624200-1328089959_thumb.jpg

Don't give up, it is possible to get a somewhat reasonably priced rex tooth. Possible, but not easy. Mine is 2.1 inches and I got it for "only" 450 € (would have been 500 €, but the seller gave me some discount), which is still a lot, but considering the going rate is somewhere around 1000 $ per inch (depending on the quality) it was a great deal indeed. It's not the best quality tooth, but that doesn't really bother me. So it is possible to get a T. rex tooth without going broke, and that's a start. I suggest you to keep looking for one on some bigger fossil shows, you might get lucky ;)

As for your possible Velociraptor tooth... Well, it still could be a genuine one, but even if it is not, it's still a Dromaeosaur tooth. Of course it would be better if it was genuine, but having any Dromaeosaur piece at all is still something. They were fascinating creatures :)

Hmmmmm from the picture i can see something about the spino tooth that you might not like. Do you want me to tell you? It's fine if you don't. In that case just forget about this. Perhaps your next spino could be out of matrix.

Oh and that area of porous bone next to the tip (on the right side) is neat!

Wow that rex tooth doesn't look anywhere near 2.1 inches. What a buy :)

Edited by Paleoworld-101

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

-Eternal Enemies: Lions And Hyenas

Hmmmmm from the picture i can see something about the spino tooth that you might not like. Do you want me to tell you? It's fine if you don't. In that case just forget about this. Perhaps your next spino could be out of matrix.

Oh and that area of porous bone next to the tip (on the right side) is neat!

Wow that rex tooth doesn't look anywhere near 2.1 inches. What a buy :)

I think I know what you're thinking about the Spino tooth. I only noticed it when I took a really good look at the photo. When you see the piece in person it's not as apparent, but on the photo the matrix in the area just around the tooth seems different color than the rest (in person it's the same, so perhaps this is due to light/shades). But yeah, now that I think of it, it does look like the tooth was artificially put into the matrix. Oh well. It would probably bother me more, but since it was a cheap piece (20 € or something like that, but not more) I can live with it.

Yep, that rex is a honest 2.1 incher (5,3 cm, straight line measurement). I didn't expect to get anything as large for the price, I would have been content with getting a tooth half of its size. I was lucky :)

I also have an Allosaurus fragilis tooth, bought it from the same person. That one is in a much better shape than this T. rex, although it was "cheaper" (400 €). It's a premax tooth, around 1,8 inches long (straight line measurement). It does have a worn tip and serrations aren't as sharp as they could be (possibly feeding wear), but other than that it looks great

Nah, I think the tip is fine. I mean, looking at the actual fossil the tip (and other parts of the tooth for that matter) seem to be just fine. On the photo it appears to be a bit larger, yes, but I think that's because it sticks out of the matrix at a slightly different angle than the rest of the tooth (the tip itself points a bit more inwards, into the matrix itself, but of course you can't see that from the photo), and as a result the bottom part of the tip appears a bit bigger.

The lower part of the tooth though was deffinitely glued back (it probably fell out of the matrix at one point).

I think I know what you're thinking about the Spino tooth. I only noticed it when I took a really good look at the photo. When you see the piece in person it's not as apparent, but on the photo the matrix in the area just around the tooth seems different color than the rest (in person it's the same, so perhaps this is due to light/shades). But yeah, now that I think of it, it does look like the tooth was artificially put into the matrix. Oh well. It would probably bother me more, but since it was a cheap piece (20 € or something like that, but not more) I can live with it.

Yep, that rex is a honest 2.1 incher (5,3 cm, straight line measurement). I didn't expect to get anything as large for the price, I would have been content with getting a tooth half of its size. I was lucky :)

I also have an Allosaurus fragilis tooth, bought it from the same person. That one is in a much better shape than this T. rex, although it was "cheaper" (400 €). It's a premax tooth, around 1,8 inches long (straight line measurement). It does have a worn tip and serrations aren't as sharp as they could be (possibly feeding wear), but other than that it looks great

Actually that's not it. It's something to do with id.

Allosaurus AND T-rex? Nice! I love looking at allo teeth on ebay, but most are too expensive :)

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

Actually that's not it. It's something to do with id.

Allosaurus AND T-rex? Nice! I love looking at allo teeth on ebay, but most are too expensive :)

So you think it might not be what it supposedly is? Had those doubts too. It sure looks small for a Spinosaurus tooth, and it is also slightly curved. Aren't Spino teeth more conical and straight?

And about the tip... I'm not so sure anymore. I removed a bit more of the matrix that was left on the tip itself (a thin layer) with my nail, and it does seem a bit too big, like its diameter is slightly bigger than it should be. Hmm...

Yeah, well, actually I bought the Allosaurus tooth first at the Munich show in 2010 and then a year later I bought the T. rex and Triceratops teeth, but these were all bought from the same guy. I was looking for a T. rex tooth the first time also, but all the teeth the seller had were out of my range (he had a perfect specimen, a large, perfectly preserved crown for 4000 €!!!), so I bought that Allo instead. I actually had a pretty difficult choice, since I had to decide between that Allosaurus tooth OR a perfect Triceratops tooth (it was preserved really, really well, perfect crown, rooted and everything). Both were roughly the same price, but i ended up buying the Allo, because it's rarer. A good call :)

So you think it might not be what it supposedly is? Had those doubts too. It sure looks small for a Spinosaurus tooth, and it is also slightly curved. Aren't Spino teeth more conical and straight?

And about the tip... I'm not so sure anymore. I removed a bit more of the matrix that was left on the tip itself (a thin layer) with my nail, and it does seem a bit too big, like its diameter is slightly bigger than it should be. Hmm...

Yeah, well, actually I bought the Allosaurus tooth first at the Munich show in 2010 and then a year later I bought the T. rex and Triceratops teeth, but these were all bought from the same guy. I was looking for a T. rex tooth the first time also, but all the teeth the seller had were out of my range (he had a perfect specimen, a large, perfectly preserved crown for 4000 €!!!), so I bought that Allo instead. I actually had a pretty difficult choice, since I had to decide between that Allosaurus tooth OR a perfect Triceratops tooth (it was preserved really, really well, perfect crown, rooted and everything). Both were roughly the same price, but i ended up buying the Allo, because it's rarer. A good call :)

Well i am fairly certain it is infact a Plesiosaur tooth (from the Khouribga Phosphate mine in Morocco). Actually i am 100% certain. I spent weeks looking for a nice tooth and examined literally every specimen for sale on the net. This is not necessarily a bad thing, Plesiosaur teeth are less common than spino teeth and are just as neat :) The size doesn't mean it aint a spino, they can be as small as 1cm. Ive got 5 spino teeth under 1.2 inches (see my pics earlier in this thread). I guess it means you can definitely get a good one now without worrying about doubling up. Yes spino teeth are conical and straight. Also, a key feature is grooves running up the crown vertically, similar to some croc teeth.

Here is another plesiosaurus tooth (quite expensive though)- http://www.paleodire...t2/mv11-014.htm

Sounds like a great seller! Does he have a website? Yes the allo instead of the trike tooth was certainly a good choice :)

Edited by Paleoworld-101

Well i am fairly certain it is infact a Plesiosaur tooth (from the Khouribga Phosphate mine in Morocco). Actually i am 100% certain. I spent weeks looking for a nice tooth and examined literally every specimen for sale on the net. This is not necessarily a bad thing, Plesiosaur teeth are less common than spino teeth and are just as neat :) The size doesn't mean it aint a spino, they can be as small as 1cm. Ive got 5 spino teeth under 1.2 inches (see my pics earlier in this thread). I guess it means you can definitely get a good one now without worrying about doubling up. Yes spino teeth are conical and straight. Also, a key feature is grooves running up the crown vertically, similar to some croc teeth.

Here is another plesiosaurus tooth (quite expensive though)- http://www.paleodire...t2/mv11-014.htm

Sounds like a great seller! Does he have a website? Yes the allo instead of the trike tooth was certainly a good choice :)

Yep, it does look a lot similar to a plesiosaur tooth. But that's ok, I didn't have a plesiosaur tooth before, so it's still quite cool (especially since I got it really cheap) :). And I'm deffinitely getting a bigger Spino, hopefully there will be some worth buying this year on that smaller fossil show here, because I'm not sure if I'll go to Munich again this year.

I'm not sure if he has a website, but he is quite a well known seller - George Heslep. A nice person too, he knows his stuff and you always get a lot of detailed info about the fossil you bought from him (He told me just about everything about the T. rex tooth, from the position in the mouth to the precise location of the find).

Edit: Now I removed a bit more of the matrix just around the tooth, I managed to expose it a bit better, and it looks like all of the pieces belong to the same tooth, and it really was the position of the tip that made it look unfitting. Looks like it must have broken of before the tooth was buried.

Edit 2: Here's the link to the thread with some of my fossils, If you're interested: http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php/topic/25046-my-always-growing-collection/ :)

Edited by Tyrannoraptor

• 2 weeks later...

Well, if you could tell wether it's a foot or a hand claw, I'd really appreciate it (no sweat if you don't know) :)

I made 3 new photos of the said claw, if it's any help to you. The claw isn't in the best shape, but a perfect one would be waaaay out of my budget. The scale is in centimeters.

post-7253-0-05078000-1327401566_thumb.jpgpost-7253-0-78915200-1327401573_thumb.jpgpost-7253-0-55885600-1327401578_thumb.jpg

I am 100% your claw is a wing claw from a pterosaur, which is pretty awesome.

I have wanted to get one myself but they are rarely available.

Pretty sure it is wing claw, (have seen them listed before as from Siroccopteryx and Gnathosaurus) both looked identical to your specimen.

hope that helps

Here is a pic up close of both sides. Sorry bout the shadow, couldn't avoid it under my desk light.

post-5373-0-51681500-1327305631_thumb.jpg post-5373-0-98842800-1327305651_thumb.jpg

Never would I be one to disagree with with the legend Mr Bakker and I do not presume to be an expert by any means however..... I have seen teeth almost identical to this from the Kem-Kem basin assigned to the genus Trematochampsa.

Just a guess.

Pretty sure it is wing claw, (have seen them listed before as from Siroccopteryx and Gnathosaurus) both looked identical to your specimen.

hope that helps

Hey thanks! That's pretty cool indeed, getting a pterosaur fossil was on my list too, so I wasn't really disappointed, despite it not being a raptor claw. The claw did confuse me quite a bit - after I bought it I immediately googled for other raptor claws, and my claw looked rather different. A toe claw shouldn't be as thin in cross section, and I've seen a perfect hand claw in person (it was way beyond my budget) and it didn't look anything like that either. I feared it was a fake, so what you told me was a nice surprise :)

Do you know what one of these usually costs? I've seen one nearly identical (I've searched a bit and you're right, it looks identical to a Siroccopteryx wing claw) to mine sell for 1000 $, but that seemed a bit too much to me. But if these indeed cost as much then what I bought was a bargain of the century, I got it merely for 100 €... I doubt the seller knew what he had, probably he knew about as much as I did until now :D

Your fossil teeth are really incredible!

Now that I 've seen them, I really need to find this George Heslep guy!

Does anyone know if he has a website or email? I tried doing a google search without any good results, and even Tuscon's fossil guide pdf does not reveal anything.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

Your fossil teeth are really incredible!

Now that I 've seen them, I really need to find this George Heslep guy!

Does anyone know if he has a website or email? I tried doing a google search without any good results, and even Tuscon's fossil guide pdf does not reveal anything.

Well, I hope you haven't confused the things, because the only teeth bought from him were pictured in the thread which I gave the link to, the Morrocan teeth and that claw weren't bought from him. That said, if you're looking for some USA dinosaur fossils, Heslep's stuff is always amazing. I don't know about him having a website though. I know he visits the big fossil shows around the world.

Edited by Tyrannoraptor

• 2 weeks later...

Hey thanks! That's pretty cool indeed, getting a pterosaur fossil was on my list too, so I wasn't really disappointed, despite it not being a raptor claw. The claw did confuse me quite a bit - after I bought it I immediately googled for other raptor claws, and my claw looked rather different. A toe claw shouldn't be as thin in cross section, and I've seen a perfect hand claw in person (it was way beyond my budget) and it didn't look anything like that either. I feared it was a fake, so what you told me was a nice surprise :)

Do you know what one of these usually costs? I've seen one nearly identical (I've searched a bit and you're right, it looks identical to a Siroccopteryx wing claw) to mine sell for 1000 $, but that seemed a bit too much to me. But if these indeed cost as much then what I bought was a bargain of the century, I got it merely for 100 €... I doubt the seller knew what he had, probably he knew about as much as I did until now :D

I watched one on ebay a couple of years ago and it went for 100USD which was a bargain, dealers usually ask somewhere around 150 - 200USD.

So you have done really well, there is no better feeling then buying a fossil and then finding out it is worth more then what you paid for it as it only too often happens the other way around.

I once bought a Branchiosaurus that had been labeled as a fish for $20.

• 5 years later...
On 1/23/2012 at 8:01 AM, Paleoworld-101 said:

Here is a pic up close of both sides. Sorry bout the shadow, couldn't avoid it under my desk light.

post-5373-0-51681500-1327305631_thumb.jpg post-5373-0-98842800-1327305651_thumb.jpg

I doubt anyklosaur very much, that doesn't bear much similarities. It looks alot more like one of the back teeth of a croc

try looking at a crocodylimorph called Araripesuchus  for how varied the dentition of crocodiles are in the cretaceous 

On 1/21/2012 at 12:57 AM, Paleoworld-101 said:

post-5373-0-47972700-1327103768_thumb.jpg

Since this thread is being revived anyway, I'm seeing you have a tooth labeled as Alanqa saharica. But that is a toothless Azhdarchid Pterosaur. That tooth likely belongs to Siroccopteryx like the other Pterosaur tooth.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

20 hours ago, iow673 said:

I doubt anyklosaur very much, that doesn't bear much similarities. It looks alot more like one of the back teeth of a croc

try looking at a crocodylimorph called Araripesuchus  for how varied the dentition of crocodiles are in the cretaceous 

7 minutes ago, LordTrilobite said:

Since this thread is being revived anyway, I'm seeing you have a tooth labeled as Alanqa saharica. But that is a toothless Azhdarchid Pterosaur. That tooth likely belongs to Siroccopteryx like the other Pterosaur tooth.

I'm aware now on both accounts, this topic is 5 years old, i've learned a lot since then! But thanks for commenting!

Alright cool. And it's a very nice tooth collection too. Do you have any new noteworthy additions?

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

7 minutes ago, LordTrilobite said:

Alright cool. And it's a very nice tooth collection too. Do you have any new noteworthy additions?

Thank you! While my overall collection has probably tripled in size since i made this topic, i haven't had many new Kem Kem additions apart from two large Carcharodontosaurus teeth. I sort of stopped buying fossils altogether in 2014 once i was finally able to find my own vertebrate material. I now mainly just collect what i find myself, i find it more satisfying, but i still do love these fossils! 

Here's one of the Carch teeth that i hadn't posted in this topic.

3.1 inches long. 

Carcharodontosaurus Tooth #1

6 hours ago, Paleoworld-101 said:

Thank you! While my overall collection has probably tripled in size since i made this topic, i haven't had many new Kem Kem additions apart from two large Carcharodontosaurus teeth. I sort of stopped buying fossils altogether in 2014 once i was finally able to find my own vertebrate material. I now mainly just collect what i find myself, i find it more satisfying, but i still do love these fossils! 

Here's one of the Carch teeth that i hadn't posted in this topic.

3.1 inches long. 

Carcharodontosaurus Tooth #1

That’s a real stunner. :envy: