Big Poc Tooth

acewhips

Since the weather was close to perfect here in N. TX today, I spent the early part of the morning lobbying my 8-yr old to make the 60 minute trip with me up to a favorite section of Post Oak Creek (Sherman, TX - Mesozoic, Upper Cretaceous) to spend the afternoon hunting for shark's teeth for a small jar we're trying to fill. We've made this trip 3 other times, so my hopes were high. Once he stepped out into the backyard and felt the combination of a warming sun tempered by a cooling wind, he was all systems go. Over the course of about 3 hours we found a bunch of broken sharks's teeth that were perfect for filling the jar, a few smaller really complete teeth, a possible shrimp or lobster carapace, a couple of super nice ptychodus teeth, a couple of bones/vertebrae (I'll post all this next), and one...really...large...tooth.

At the end of the afternoon, on our way back to the car, we were eyeballing the driest route back across last "stream" area we had to cross, and my son said "Wait, Dad! I see a big tooth!". He ran around behind me and reached about a foot into the stream and pulled out something that looked all-too-disappointingly familiar: a big solid, rock-like object shaped in a vaguely and meanderingly conical toothlike manner. It was covered in moss, and I've had so few things of this shape actually turn out to be something organic that I almost dropped it back into the small stream whence it came. But, I had just exhorted him to put anything and everything he thinks might be fossiliforous into the bag because we could always clean it up and throw it out later if it was nothing. So, into the bag it went.

Once we got it home, cleaned it up, let it dry and took a good look, there was no question it was a tooth. What a nice surprise! Just curious what the experts thought it might be (first thought was enchodus based on the shape, but it's completely round with no angular faces to it), and whether you can tell how big the actual animal might be that it came from based on the size of the tooth (right at 3")? Thanks in advance for any info you can pass along.

post-4684-0-80910100-1327286818_thumb.jpg

post-4684-0-26630400-1327286828_thumb.jpg

post-4684-0-51361000-1327286837_thumb.jpg

I don't think it's a tooth... Not sure what it is though

" We're all puppets, I'm just a puppet who can see the strings. "

Look's like antler to me..

x2, from a jackalope maybe.

Cole~

Knowledge has three degrees-opinion, science, illumination. The means or instrument of the first is sense; of the second, dialectic; of the third, intuition.

Plotinus 204 or 205 C.E., Egyptian Philosopher

Antler tip makes a ton of sense at a second glance. However, it's fully mineralized. What antlered animal would have that much age?

Most likely whitetail deer antler tine, Odocoileus virginianus, Pleistocene to Holocene

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."