Best Place To Find A Megalodon Tooth

Jocky

My collection only contains fossils that I find myself but I want a MEG.

If you had the choice of any location in the world to find a MEG where would it be?

CHEERS

Peru. The colors and quality of those teeth are simply amazing. After that I guess it would be Chile because of the videos I've watched of folks walking around finding whale skeletons and sharks teeth littered everywhere. Closer to home I would pick Aurora (Lee Creek). Just imagine all the huge Megs laying out in the Yorktown exposures waiting for an open season!

Daryl.

Walton on the Naze, England. Extremely rare in relatively good condition, rare even in battered condition. Other than that, anywhere.

KOF, Bill.

Welcome to the forum, all new members

www.ukfossils check it out.

In the ocean.

Think about it, you dont need to drop them coastally.

Theres gotta be conglomerates in deeper waters.

PUBLICATIONS

Dallas Paleontology Society Occasional Papers Vol. 9 2011

"Pennsylvanian Stratigraphy and Paleoecology of Outcrops in Jacksboro, Texas"

Author

Texas Paleontology Society Feb, 2011

"Index Fossils and You" A primer on how to utilize fossils to assist in relative age dating strata"

Author

Quotes

"Beer, Bacon, and Bivalves!"

"Say NO to illegal fossil buying / selling"

"They belong in a museum."

Education

Associates of Science - 2011

Bachelors of Science (Geology & Biology) - 2012 est.

Yeah I see tons of them on EBAY. How come they are so common? It seems like there are more fossils of sea animals than land animals.

Yeah I see tons of them on EBAY. How come they are so common? It seems like there are more fossils of sea animals than land animals.

Aquatic forms tend to favor presurevation due to most of the enivroments being more "air tight". Your on land and you say die in a field your chances go down..alot, but if you go in a sandstorm, wash out, frozen, cave in your doing it better.

Sometimes its not the scavangers and bacterial that are the damaging to the fossil but good old O2.

PUBLICATIONS

Dallas Paleontology Society Occasional Papers Vol. 9 2011

"Pennsylvanian Stratigraphy and Paleoecology of Outcrops in Jacksboro, Texas"

Author

Texas Paleontology Society Feb, 2011

"Index Fossils and You" A primer on how to utilize fossils to assist in relative age dating strata"

Author

Quotes

"Beer, Bacon, and Bivalves!"

"Say NO to illegal fossil buying / selling"

"They belong in a museum."

Education

Associates of Science - 2011

Bachelors of Science (Geology & Biology) - 2012 est.

If you had the choice of any location in the world to find a MEG where would it be?

CHEERS

With meg teeth there are 4 factors to consider:

Size (obviously) Bigger teeth command higher prices and are far rarer than smaller teeth.

Condition: Better condition (less damage, sharper serrations etc) are more desired than poorer teeth. My experience in Lee Creek which produces extremely high quality teeth is that I would find 10 fragments and/or broken meg teeth for every relatively whole meg found.

Color: Desired color is in the eye of the beholder, but almost every location seems to have its signature color. Land sites in Florida produce some of the most varied and colorful teeth. However, other locations can have incredible colors.

Location: Teeth from some localities due to rarity or exoticness are more desired. For example, megs from Bakersfield which are fairly rare, are highly desired due to their relative rarity.

The Megs from Calvert Cliffs are right nice as well. Not as likely to find a monster, but I have found my fair share of smaller ones.

If I were fantasizing, I would want to take a shark cage down in the waters off New Caledonia. I love the teeth there, but all of them I have seen have some form of polishing to the tooth. Usually, they polish the blade edge to look like a knife edge. In my fantasy, I would keep searching until I found a New Caledonia tooth that had the highest degree of preservation I could find and for goodness sakes, I wouldn't polish it ! From what I've read, these teeth were dredged up and that is no longer allowed because of the damage it was doing to the bottom. Thoburn, a forum member, has a very attractive New Caledonia tooth in the member trades and sales section.

As long as I am fantasizing, I would also love to hunt in Bone Valley in the freshly dug piles. When clubs get to hunt in that area, it is usally teeth that have been shot through a mile of metal pipes, in the first stage of processing the phosphate. While it is awesome to be able to hunt BV once a year, I just wish I could get at the teeth before they go through the pipe.

As long as I'm still in dreamland, I would love to hunt in Cuba and Peru as well. From what I understand, in real life, you aren't going to be taking your teeth home that you find there though.

Oh yeah, one last one. Strictly fantasy as well again. I would love to dig one out of the cliffs of Calvert Cliffs. That is illegal, but I'm just dreaming, not doing.

Sharks routinely drop teeth their whole life. That's why there's so many, not only Megs, but shark teeth of all types.

EBAY! :rofl:

At some of the prices I have seen it would be cheaper to get on a flight and find my own

It would be in my hand. Any arabian miocene exposures?

Actually yes but I can't find any reference to a meg tooth being found in this neck of the woods.

Hmm you got me thinking..... I have never actually looked for a tooth that big I wonder if I did not see one and it's still lying in a footprint in the sand that I made......that's it I am off to the desert for a midnight hunt. :drool:

Research tonight will be on Chile and Peru.

CHEERS

Aquatic forms tend to favor presurevation due to most of the enivroments being more "air tight". Your on land and you say die in a field your chances go down..alot, but if you go in a sandstorm, wash out, frozen, cave in your doing it better.

Sometimes its not the scavangers and bacterial that are the damaging to the fossil but good old O2.

Close but not quite. Sharks teeth are common because of tooth shedding. As for the reason why aquatic fossils are more common is that many ocean bottoms were anarobic (spelling?). Meaning that the bottom had no life due to a lack of oxygen. That meant that there wasn't anything to eat the leftovers.

On land there is a animal/insect designed to eat every part of a land animal. If this wasnt the case, africa would be chest deep in skeltons.

Edited by Boneman007

Some of the Bone Valley teeth are amazing. Also the red teeth that they find in the rivers in NC are beautiful. It would be hard to choose. I do know one thing. Once you found one you would be hooked. When I started I said I wanted just one. Now I am addicted to hunting for them. It is a sickness.

....I do know one thing. Once you found one you would be hooked. When I started I said I wanted just one. Now I am addicted to hunting for them. It is a sickness.

You got that right Bill! So, Mr. Jocky, anywhere you can go to find one would be a great place to start. Hopefully you'll be able to hunt somewhere where you can find your first. I bet most folks that have ever found Megs remember their very first Meg, I know I do and it hold a special place in my collection.

Your desert trips are on par with the Netherlands folks that stand in the path of water shooting out of a huge pipe....you stand in the middle of a desert in extreme temps and conditions that keep most sane people away and inside. Put in the right location with Megs, you'll be certain to find one with that type of determination.

Daryl.

At some of the prices I have seen it would be cheaper to get on a flight and find my own

Actually yes but I can't find any reference to a meg tooth being found in this neck of the woods.

Hmm you got me thinking..... I have never actually looked for a tooth that big I wonder if I did not see one and it's still lying in a footprint in the sand that I made......that's it I am off to the desert for a midnight hunt. :drool:

Research tonight will be on Chile and Peru.

CHEERS

Midnight hunt, hmmm. Consider in investing in a hand-held ultraviolet lamp. You'll pick up a lot of scorpions with it (they flouresce), but usually the enamel in teeth flouresce in black light (usually yellowish). Test it on some of your existing teeth.

Edited by Paleoc

From the Geologic map http://paleopolis.re.../KSA/droite.htm Qatar seems to be entirely Eocene surrounded by Miocene-Pliocene exposures in Saudi Arabia. However, auriculatus should be present.

I have not heard of anyone finding something like Auriculatus in Qatar. But if my eye is trained to look for shark teeth that are 20% of that size it is possible I just did not recognize a tooth that big.

I have a wide range of shapes and sizes of shark teeth and I am sure that some are not Sand Tiger variants (that is the path of least resistance for identification).

More research I think.

CHEERS

Anywhere between North Carolina & Florida. Of course you would need the help of an local hunter to do any good. That's what this forum all about. Helping others to find fossils in your own backyard if a member is visiting. Good luck! : )

-----"Your Texas Connection!"------

Fossils: Windows to the past

Anywhere between North Carolina & Florida. Of course you would need the help of an local hunter to do any good. That's what this forum all about. Helping others to find fossils in your own backyard if a member is visiting. Good luck! : )

Mike that post made me smile.

I will look into USA as a prospective Meg expedition. There seems to be a load of potential.

CHEERS

You got that right Bill! So, Mr. Jocky, anywhere you can go to find one would be a great place to start. Hopefully you'll be able to hunt somewhere where you can find your first. I bet most folks that have ever found Megs remember their very first Meg, I know I do and it hold a special place in my collection. Daryl.

Daryl,

You so right about remembering that first meg. I was going to my paperbox one day and found one lying in my front yard. Someone had thrown it there I guess. I had no idea what it was at the time, held onto it for a couple of months and finally threw it away. It was larger than a 50cent piece. I didnt know anything about fossils at the time. Live and learn.

If you had the choice of any location in the world to find a MEG where would it be? CHEERS

Sort of depends on your motivation -- Do you want to OWN a Meg or do you want to FIND a Meg. I do not particularily want to buy a Meg although that are large and beautiful. I do not want a friend to gift me a Meg. I want to FIND a Meg, picking it out of a place where is has been for thousands or millions of years -- For me, the sickness relates to being the first human to hold this Meg.

As you can see from TFF, one of the great choices is Scuba diving -- I could do that , but it is more expensive, I am much older than the average scuba diver, and I do not want to test the temptation to go deeper and deeper in search of the elusve perfect Meg.

If you want a place where you can search and find one yourself -- there are a limited set of well known locations that have easy access and numerous Megs.. I would find the closest of those to Qatar and plan my adventure. SS

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"