Vertabrae - North Texas Creekbed

Guest mrmontgom

I don't think it's a vertebra, or any part of a fish. The texture is not like fish bone. It looks more like a section of a nautiloid, or an oyster. What is the local geology for the creek?

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Guest mrmontgom

This was found in Hurricane Creek in Collin County. Lots of black clay and farm land around. Creek bed has lots of gravel and some outcroppings of whiterock (crumbly not solid/hard). Thanks for the quick response.

PS. Thanks for not slamming me. I guess the hole in the middle and the dished out feature reminded me of the end of a salmon bone that I bite into in salmon patties. That's my level of knowledge when it comes to bones. :P

...the dished out feature reminded me of the end of a salmon bone that I bite into in salmon patties. That's my level of knowledge when it comes to bones. :P

And hard-won knowledge at that!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Guest mrmontgom

So if this is an oyster, I'm sure I mislabeled that other post. They don't ressemble each other that much. This one is much larger. And the others have a slicker appearance.

I appreciate the ID even if it burst my bubble of having found a prehistoric catfish bone... :P

Looks to me like the upper (smaller) valve of an oyster. Some oysters like Exogyra had the lower (larger, spiral) valve in the bottom sediment and the upper valve would open like a lid.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."