Snail - North Texas Creekbed (i Think)

Guest mrmontgom

If, as it appears, the pattern is a spiral (and not concentric rings), then you are correct.

It is a cast; the gastropod's shell had been encased in sediment, then dissolved, forming a mold to be later filled. This is called a "steinkern". If the spirals were spaced apart, it would be an internal cast of the shell.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Guest mrmontgom

Thanks! I appreciate the description of how it was formed. Yes, the pattern is a spiral. You can see some seperation in the picture on the right toward the 'snail exit'... (I'm sure you guys have an official name for that :))

...You can see some seperation in the picture on the right toward the 'snail exit'... (I'm sure you guys have an official name for that :))

"Snailus exitus" works for me :P

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!