Fish Tooth? Yankton, Sd

jholman76

Hello, I am new to the board. I registered becase my brother found the tooth pictured below and I am anxious to have it identified. I've read many posts before registering and I must say there are some great helpers here, so thanks in advance.

My brother found this tooth in a clay rock on the banks of the Missouri River near Yankton SD. It was broken, so that is a shame, but I am hoping someone can help me out. Let me know if you want any more pictures.

Also, I say they are great for collecting and dont agree with her, but my sister-in-law would kill me if I didnt ask if it was "worth anything". Any insight would be helpful although it being broken hurts its chance I'm sure.

Thanks.

Joe

post-722-1219591993_thumb.jpg

It is a shark tooth, but because of the less-than-stellar condition, identification is going to be tough. Based on the location and appearance, I can suggest it might be from the family Cretoxyrhinidae, but that's just an educated guess and narrowing it down to even a genus is tough. Hope this helps a bit, and welcome to the forum

p.s. in that condition, not worth really anything, but you can say you have a tooth from a shark that was swimming the seas when dinosaurs were around

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Defiantly a shark tooth. If found is SD it is probably very old, not sure of species though. With it being broken and missing the tip it will probably only be worth something to you, but still a cool find. Keep looking, if you guys found 1 there is probably a couple more in better shape around.

Wow, very interesting. I will have to let my brother know. Should I keep it apart or can I glue it together, or is that a major no no? I'll let him know to look around some more and see if they can find any more.

That has to be pretty old. Is there any way to find out how old?

I'm far from expert, but the genus Cretoxyrhina is a strong candidate. During the Cretaceous (which ended 65 million years ago), the center of N. America was an interior seaway, teeming with all manner of voracious predators, including the shark who's tooth you now have. Along the shores of this shallow sea, Dinosaurs munched on the first flowering plants and on each other, while tiny mammals did their best to stay out of sight. The images that evokes are the real value of your find!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

You can glue that one if you want, it can't hurt the value ;) If my guess on the family is correct, it is late cretaceous between about 65-100 million years old

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

I'd glue it if I found it. You can use super glue.

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold