One More Trip

RJB

My last trip was purty much a bust. The Buffalo skull was cool, but not quite what we were after. Bonedigger and I have a trip planed out to hunt for some fossil plants/insects, then a packload of dino poop, then its off to one of the fish quarrys in Wyoming. This trip should produce quite a bit more fossils than the last one. Again, I will be taking lots of vidio and photos. I didnt make a movie out of the last trip, but this trip should have lots of fossils and it would be neat to show in real time just how we find these nice quality leafs and fishes. Bonedigger is on his way as I write this, and we leave very early tomorrow morning. See yall in a week. WooooooooHoooooooooo!!!!!!

RB

Ok all you fossil nuts. Bonedigger and I got back from our trip yesterday late afternoon. The very first day, while on our way to the leaf site, we stopped at a certain spot on the side of the road adn got about 100 pounds of dinosaur poop! Two really big ones and not too many mediums or smalls. The place has been picked over purty good, so I was stuck with big poops! Ha!!! We got to the leaf site just as the sun was setting and had enough lite to still set up camp. We spent two grueling days prying up rock and didnt do as well as I had hoped for, but we still found some nice fossils, just not very many. Bonedigger was like a kid in a candy store and did quite well for himself. Lots of very nice litte stuff adn he also got some very nice insects, including one outstanding little criket!!! Some very nice dinners over a campfire too!! We left the leaf site and got to the fish site at about 6 pm. Again, bonedigger was the kid in a candy store and within minutes was looking for fish in some of the rubble piles. Hd did find some pieces, but I told him they were just 'junk' fish and that the next day he was going to find some real fish. Boy-o-boy did he find some fish! Ive been there about 18 or 20 times and I have never seen anyone find as many prisci's as bonedigger did. He is on his way home as I write this and will be doing some posting soon and can tell you all about it. Oh, at the leaf site my son found a freakin dragon fly!!! Wow!!! and I found a damsel fly at the fish quarry!!! Now thats a double Wow!!! Wow!!!! and like last year we did incredibly well. we brought home 2 nice Pheriodus, one nice big Diplo, a very nice little Myo, 6 or 7 priscis, lots of little Knightia's, and coleton found yet another Noto with a prisci just above it, and I felt like cryin when I realized I had to leave it with the quarry owner, but it was just too soft to bring home! Boo,,Hoo. But thats ok, it helped to bring th price down when it came to buying his half. We just had a super wonderful time. And yes, Im sore, my back hurts, the knees are a little tender, lot of little cuts and bruzes, but that just goes with the territory. I always wish that I would take more pictures, but bonedigger took lots. Here are some pictures that I took. Enjoy.

post-171-1220280991_thumb.jpg

post-171-1220281057_thumb.jpg

post-171-1220281126_thumb.jpg

post-171-1220281184_thumb.jpg

post-171-1220281248_thumb.jpg

post-171-1220281300_thumb.jpg

Sweet! I assume the fish are from the "18 inch layer"?

Any bird tracks/feathers from the leaf site?

How 'bout a pic of the dragonfly (please)?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

WOW RON! awesome!! i just noticed your email today, for some weird reason it never came up as a new message in my inbox so sorry that I havent replied! sounds like you did quite well, and some awesome fossils as i can see in those pictures!

Looks like youve got a few more hours of prep work ahead of you!

"Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitment of possibility!"

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Looks like a fun trip. Dragons please....

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Sweet! I assume the fish are from the "18 inch layer"?

Any bird tracks/feathers from the leaf site?

How 'bout a pic of the dragonfly (please)?

Hey Auspex, I did find a little feather but it's not unpacked yet. I will post a pic for ya when I get to it.

Ok guys, here is some pics from the leaf site. None of any fossils, but of the area. #1 is Super Ammo Dude cutting out some fossils. #2 is the Great RB making his first Canadian potato packet. #3 is our home away from home. #4 is the Great RB hard at work looking for sycamore leaves and fossil bugs. #5 is RB with one of his finds. #6 is a view off the cliff at the site, 10,000ft above sea level.

Ok the here are some pics from the fish quarry. I have no idea why they keep calling me The Prisci King! -_- What a trip! I never dreamed we would find so many great fish. I Even got to sleep under the stars ON the famous 18 inch layer. :D It just doesn't get any better than that!!!

awesome photos! looks like an amazing place

"Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitment of possibility!"

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Great adventure pics; makes me feel like I was there (except I'm not all sore & stuff)!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

I told you bonedigger took lots of photos. I also took some vidio, but now just have to find the time to get it done. Taking this trip really shortened my time to get all the things done around here before winter. Yikes! Ive already got a few fossils on my prep shelf ready to go, but have no idea when I will get to them? Auspex, I willl try to get a picture of the dragon flys, but right now they are packed away still. Oh, and I found a feather too, much bigger than the one bonedigger found, but the quality is not near as good as his. Still cool though. I just wish I had the time and money to do this several times a year? Just sooooooo much to do and find. Once I go through all my new fossils, I will try to post some more cool fossils.

RB

It was a bit rainy today, and I was not about to get up on the roof to do any work, so I spent most of the day going through all my fossis. I even did a bit of prep work too! Quite nice! Anyways, I found the two dragon flys and the feather. They are not in the best of shape, but still purty dam cool. The dragon in the yellow rock (about 2 inches) actually has a purty darn good wing, but you cannot see it in the photo. The better dragon (about 2 1/2 inces) has parts of two wings showing on the right side of it, but most of both are under the rock. Dam!! And one really nice beetle with eyeballs even though its wingcase is kinda bad.

RB

post-171-1220566056_thumb.jpg

post-171-1220566136_thumb.jpg

post-171-1220566187_thumb.jpg

post-171-1220566243_thumb.jpg

Those are all real nice! Who wouldn't love the dragonflies? And the beetle has such great detail...

That down-feather looks like it's about 3/4"? I'm trying to learn what micro-structures in modern powder-down* feathers can be used to distinguish them from normal insulating down, and then look for it in fossil down.

*Powder-down is a specialized down feather (present in waders and some shore birds) that breaks up into powder when crushed in the bird's bill and is used in preening. It is not known when it evolved; I'd like to find it already in use in the Eocene.

Those are all real nice! Who wouldn't love the dragonflies? And the beetle has such great detail...

That down-feather looks like it's about 3/4"? I'm trying to learn what micro-structures in modern powder-down* feathers can be used to distinguish them from normal insulating down, and then look for it in fossil down.

*Powder-down is a specialized down feather (present in waders and some shore birds) that breaks up into powder when crushed in the bird's bill and is used in preening. It is not known when it evolved; I'd like to find it already in use in the Eocene.

You are certainly a 'bird' man. That feather is about 2 inches in total lengh. Much bigger than the usual little 1/2 to 1 inch ones that can be found at this site. But like most of the fossils I find, I just wish it was in better shape/quality!! Dang!!

RB

Two Inches? It is almost certainly from Presbyornis; this is the only species known from the G.R. Fm. that is large enough to have had 2" down feathers.

post-423-1220571774.gif

Two Inches? It is almost certainly from Presbyornis; this is the only species known from the G.R. Fm. that is large enough to have had 2" down feathers.

Wow! Is there anything that you dont know? I just wish it was in better shape?!!! Dam!!! How bout if I sell it to you for 40 bucks? I certainly have no need for it. Ive sold much smaller feathers for much more, but you being sooooooo into the birds, I dont mind letting it go for that. Im not in this for the money. Just gas money.

RB

Wow! Is there anything that you dont know? I just wish it was in better shape?!!! Dam!!! How bout if I sell it to you for 40 bucks? I certainly have no need for it. Ive sold much smaller feathers for much more, but you being sooooooo into the birds, I dont mind letting it go for that. Im not in this for the money. Just gas money.

RB

Seriously? If so, you've got a dealio, my friend. I have four Presby. contour feathers, but no downies, and it's down that I want for the aforementioned study (Presbyornis is the most likely proggenitor of the extant powder-down producing species). I'll PM you! :D:D:D

It was a bit rainy today, and I was not about to get up on the roof to do any work, so I spent most of the day going through all my fossis. I even did a bit of prep work too! Quite nice! Anyways, I found the two dragon flys and the feather. They are not in the best of shape, but still purty dam cool. The dragon in the yellow rock (about 2 inches) actually has a purty darn good wing, but you cannot see it in the photo. The better dragon (about 2 1/2 inces) has parts of two wings showing on the right side of it, but most of both are under the rock. Dam!! And one really nice beetle with eyeballs even though its wingcase is kinda bad.

RB

Ahem, wasn't that 2nd one your son's find? ;)

Very nice specimens.

KOF, Bill.

Welcome to the forum, all new members

www.ukfossils check it out.

Ok, here is a few more pics! I got some more fossils unpacked and took the rock saw out today and cut out some leaves and insects. Also found the feather for ya Auspex. The Knightia plate I just finished prepping, found 7 more fish on it! :D

Don't ya' just love Green River stuff? That's what I started the whole bird fossil thing with, and I never get tired of seeing them. I still make it a point to acquire association plates (feather/insect, feather/leaf, tracks/droppings, tracks/rain drops) when opportunity presents.

Your feather is not a moulted one; notice that the quill end of the shaft is missing. Preened or normally moulted feathers might have badly worn or damaged vanes, but the quill should be intact. Structurally, it looks like a tertial (from the innermost group of the wing's "flight feathers"). The feather could have been broken off by predation or during a territorial altercation. How long is it?

Archived