One More Trip

RJB

The feather is 3/4" long. I know what you mean by association plates, there so cool! I found a plate on the trip that has 4 different species of bugs and a leaf on it! Cant get a good picture of it though cause the bugs are very small.

Here is a nice leaf plate I just finished up. You can see the first pic when it weighed about 125 lbs. And then the follow up pics with the smaller leaf tip exposed and the bigger leafs stem exposed, and now it wiehgs about 10 lbs? I sprayed it with some clear acrylic to seal up the carbon on the leafs, and it does a great job at making the rock a beautiful color. Like puting water on it but this is permanent. Enjoy.

RB

post-171-1220732346_thumb.jpg

post-171-1220732436_thumb.jpg

post-171-1220732507_thumb.jpg

post-171-1220732563_thumb.jpg

I got real busy and squared up all my leaf and insect fossil stuff from this trip. Its been so long that ive done this, that I forgot just how much work it was!!! Wheeeeew!! After getting all this leaf/insect stuff cut, then I had to wash it to get off all the dirt from cutting it, let it dry, then I prepped out all the leafs that needed to get the tips and stems exposed, then I softened all the corners and edges with my belt sander, then sprayed some with clear acrylic and others I just brushed the fossil with some very watery Glyptal, (to help save the fragile carbon) and yet others I just left alone. But, I put aside all the 'lesser' stuff that I didnt want, and its already sold!!! YeeeeeeHaaaaaaa!!! These 'lesser' fossils will pay for over half of my trip!!! WooooooHoooooooo!!!! and I get to keep all the better stuff! Wow!!! Here is pic of some 'lesser' stuff thats going to the UK.

RB

post-171-1221004713_thumb.jpg

Hey Anson, I thought about that when I posted that last message. Youve alreay seen the dragon flys and one of my best leaf rocks,,, I think, but I will try and get all my good stuff and take a photo? But campaired to some of my earlier trips, we really didnt do that well at the 'leaf site'!!! For anyone who hasnt seen our "All time best leaf fossil" here it is. This one was found by my then 8 year old!!! To this day, weve never seen a better or bigger fossil leaf!!!

RB

post-171-1221007957_thumb.jpg

ok. I realized that when I went back out to the garage that I still have to prep out two rather large slabes of rock that have a giant stick that forks along with a very nice poplar leaf and very large willow leaf that I still have to prep, but here are some photos of some kinda nice stuff including one very detailed leaf of some sort that is absolutly OUTSTANDING!!! Ive found pieces of this kind of leaf before, but not quite like this one!! Wow!!!

RB

post-171-1221009328_thumb.jpg

post-171-1221009389_thumb.jpg

Some great finds. amazing that they look so life-like!

Sure would love to have access to that garage of yours.

Good thing I am not into B&E.... :D

Welcome to the forum!

...For anyone who hasnt seen our "All time best leaf fossil" here it is....

That is the finest G.R. Sycamore leaf I (or anyone, I'll bet) have ever seen!

post-423-1221012429.gif

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Great stuff RB, I've got about 2/3's of my leaves and bugs cut out but havn't done any prep on them yet. Where do you get your acrylic spray from? I tried a couple hardware stores here but they didn't have any. Maybe I'll try a craft store like Michael's tommorow.

It was a bit rainy today, and I was not about to get up on the roof to do any work, so I spent most of the day going through all my fossis. I even did a bit of prep work too! Quite nice! Anyways, I found the two dragon flys and the feather. They are not in the best of shape, but still purty dam cool. The dragon in the yellow rock (about 2 inches) actually has a purty darn good wing, but you cannot see it in the photo. The better dragon (about 2 1/2 inces) has parts of two wings showing on the right side of it, but most of both are under the rock. Dam!! And one really nice beetle with eyeballs even though its wingcase is kinda bad.

RB

Wow would like to get locations from you to the places you went to. We will be heading out that way come spring.

The best days are spent collecting fossils

Wow some really nice stuff!! The cricket is great and so are some of the leaves. Really takes me back to Cowboy Canyon near Bonanza.

Hey Hunter. Ive never been to cowboy canyon, Been to bonanza twice, but got thrown outta there the second time, so I quit going.

RB

Great stuff RB, I've got about 2/3's of my leaves and bugs cut out but havn't done any prep on them yet. Where do you get your acrylic spray from? I tried a couple hardware stores here but they didn't have any. Maybe I'll try a craft store like Michael's tommorow.

Hey Bonedigger dude. I bought several cases of it at a hardware store back in Eureka California. Ive still got about 1 case left, so until I run out, I dont need to find a store. Yet. But I would think that any paint department in any hardware store should have it. If it comes in different finishes, pick the Flat/eggshell, not glossy one.

That is the finest G.R. Sycamore leaf I (or anyone, I'll bet) have ever seen!

'

Hey fella, you should see that leaf in your hands, then you can really see what kind of fine detail it has!! Just amazing!!!

Oh, your package is on its way just to let you know.

RB