Teeth And Stone Artifact Identification Pt 3

mullery7

ok ready?? pic one...a piece of monmouth county mudstone. pic two starting from left...a worn down section of unknown bone, another piece of mudstone, a cretaceous sawfish rostral, and the tip of either another sawfish rostral, or the tip of a goblin shark tooth. and last but not least...a piece of coal.

familiar with monmouth county I see. I figured as much but I kept on trying to convince myself that it was something special lol. I have found more than my fair share of iron ore down there that resembled bone at first glance. would you happen to know any good spots in Millstone, marlboro, jamesburg, assunpink area for indian relic hunting? spears, tips, bannerstones, ect. I am new at the fossil collecting area as you can tell. not very kean of identifying much at this point besides research on websites. I appreciate your help lord piney

why yes i am. ive been hunting those creeks since 1970, and i cant tell you how many times ive been fooled by the accursed mudstones! :angry: lol.

i do my share of artifact hunting, but hardly ever that far north. i usually hunt much farther south along delaware bay, and the surrounding areas. the main problem with hunting the areas you asked about is that they are all on private property, and without permission, it's a lose/lose proposition. i dont know where you hail from, but id be glad to show you a spot or two down this way sometime.

that would be aweome! my father owns a farm in millstone townships. he farms it every year. I heave found several arrowheads after a good rainstorm after the fields have been turned. there is a swampy area and a creek that runds through it as well. Somewhere near the property a mastadon was discovered. Only the teeth remained. As the guy was drudging his front yard they found it. When they removed the tusks from the swampy ground they had disintegrated after contact with the air. Maybe im crazy but the spears and tips i have found are not consistant with woodland era, the swamp is here and i have a feeling if i had the manpower i could turn this place upside down and uncover some interesting stuff. if you are ever in the area let me know and I will meet you there. P.S. i hale from the concrete jungle of central jersey called Roselle.

i would be glad to id your points for you. it's not out of the ordinary to find ancient campsites overlapping from early archaic to woodland cultures here in dirty jersey. Millstone is quite close to one of my cretaceous spots, and id be glad to accompany you to your dads property the next time im in that area. i'll pm you in the near future about it.