Poorly Preserved Gastropod

Kehbe

I pulled off the side of the road because this mud slope looked interesting. It is near downtown Kansas City Missouri. I found it to be very sparse in the way of fossils however I did find one lone gastropod. I cannot make a positive ID because it is badly weathered and/or poorly preserved. I tried many different ways of photographing it but no matter what kind of light, angle, distance or camera settings, I could not get any of the details to show up well. I penciled in the spiral and the sutures I can see when the fossil is in hand. Just an interesting piece and thought it odd that this was the ONLY fossil I found on this entire hillside. Check it out! :)

pic1 post-7046-0-47589600-1328108405_thumb.jpg pic2 post-7046-0-22888400-1328108422_thumb.jpg

pic3 post-7046-0-50446500-1328108429_thumb.jpg pic4post-7046-0-78731600-1328108438_thumb.jpg

pic5 post-7046-0-12374200-1328108453_thumb.jpg

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.

Charles Darwin

That reminds me of the fossils I pulled out of the Fontana Shale at the quarry...algae encrusted...

Wow! That is one sick looking snail. That does look like algae but you mat be right about it just being from bad weathering. Keep in mind though, that it could be another one of those gastropod look-alikes we've seen on here that turn out to be a mold of the early whorls (umbilicus) of a cephalopod. There may be some features that don't show well in a photo that eliminate that possibility but it's just a thought. If that's a one inch grid it would have to be a large, globose and somewhat involute shell.

Wow! That is one sick looking snail. That does look like algae but you mat be right about it just being from bad weathering. Keep in mind though, that it could be another one of those gastropod look-alikes we've seen on here that turn out to be a mold of the early whorls (umbilicus) of a cephalopod. There may be some features that don't show well in a photo that eliminate that possibility but it's just a thought. If that's a one inch grid it would have to be a large, globose and somewhat involute shell.

It's plain old graph paper so the grid is 1/4" squares so this piece is just over 1 inch wide at the widest point. Thanks for the input guys! :)

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.

Charles Darwin

Being near downtown, the shale is either Wea, Chanute, or Liberty Memorial. Were there any limestones nearby that could pin down the id?

Context is critical.

I know where that Wea slope is.... ;)

Have you checked out the huge cut a couple exits down?

Context is critical.

I know where that Wea slope is.... ;)

Have you checked out the huge cut a couple exits down?

I haven't found a place close enough to park to check out the big cut! I did see it the other day wehen I left this spot. I might have to have my wife drop me off there and come back and get me later! :)

Charles Darwin