Pliosaur Tooth ?

falcondriver

Found in Mansfield TX, never had an idea what this was until I spotted it in this book. I think--What do you guys and girls think?

FD

post-435-1219785899_thumb.jpg

post-435-1219785915_thumb.jpg

post-435-1219785926_thumb.jpg

post-435-1219785936_thumb.jpg

Looks like a good match! I did a quick Google Image search, and it reinforces my suspicion that you are correct.

Here's a 3-view of a 12" (!) specimen I came across; compare the morphological details:

post-423-1219787266_thumb.jpg

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Looks like one to me. Nice!!!

post-40-1219791260_thumb.jpg

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

...Maybe check plesiosaur pictures also.

There are a lot of similarities, but all the plesiosaur teeth I can google are not as deeply ridged, and the root is not as bulbous. Then again, I certainly don't know what's definitive.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

nice find. I have a few whole teeth that have those grooves on them. I was told they were Mosasaur. But They look the same to me.

If you were hunting the Lower Britton fm, look up Polyptychodon and see if it looks like a match.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Here's something else to add to the mix. It's a pic of an Ichthyosaur tooth.

What's the age of the Mansfield area? Icthyosaurs were extinct by the end of the Turonian stage (90 MYA).

So Icthyosaur is at least a possibility, though they were well on the way out; Plesiosaurs were out-competing them into extinction.