Fossils And Jellyfish

CMiller

Since it was a particularly warm day for winter, I decided to take a stroll down to the beach (Breezy Point, MD) and do some fossil hunting. It was a great time despite the fact that I wasn't alone, there were hundreds of baby jellies scattered about in the water! For the most part I stayed on dry land until I noticed a really good looking shark tooth being guarded by a few jellied. I ended up using a piece of driftwood to shoo the them away until it was safe enough to stick my hand in the water and grab the tooth.

What about you guys? Anybody else here on Fossil Forums have jellyfish related stories when it comes to fossil hunting on the beach? :)

No...but I gotta say this. I am scared to death of jellyfishes.

As a kid, I fell off a boat and landed in the water full of jellyfishes. The stings weren't painful, but they were numerous, and I nearly drowned anyway. It didn't help that 20 mins later, I witnessed how my cousin nearly got stung to death while playing on the beach. Just one sting from a more venomous species, and the poor guy was flailing about on the sand, gasping and choking on his own fluids as blood poured from his nose and mouth.

If you guys are gonna hunt for fossils at areas with jellyfishes, take extra care!

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

I have a bad reaction to jellyfish stings. Nothing dangerous but extremly painful. You may have seen me before as I hunt the same area you do. I would be the guy who has long pants on during even the hottest part of the summer. Not fun by any means but it beats the alternative.

20 mins later, I witnessed how my cousin nearly got stung to death while playing on the beach. Just one sting from a more venomous species, and the poor guy was flailing about on the sand, gasping and choking on his own fluids as blood poured from his nose and mouth.

WOW, and he survived this?? I've heard of these jellyfish that you can't see, the head or bell is only about 1cm, but the sting can kill you in about a half hour. I don't know why anybody goes in shark- and deadly-jellyfish-infested water, but they do all the time, and you hear about things like this.

I don't generally go in the water anyway but I appreciate our basic Aurelias up here!

WOW, and he survived this?? I've heard of these jellyfish that you can't see, the head or bell is only about 1cm, but the sting can kill you in about a half hour. I don't know why anybody goes in shark- and deadly-jellyfish-infested water, but they do all the time, and you hear about things like this. I don't generally go in the water anyway but I appreciate our basic Aurelias up here!

The lifeguards, and our parents were right beside. They carried him into the emergency ambulance stationed(for cases like this), then to a nearby hospital.

If no adults were near, then yeah he'd be pretty much dead.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

That's terrifying, Andy. I'm glad we don't have those jellies around here. As a kid my brothers and I used to throw the harmless moon jellies at each other, and I love the beauty of many of the fancier ones. I made the mistake of swimming into a man-o-war in Florida many years ago, and had welts all over for more than a month, but no other ill effects. If one were sitting on a fossil, I'm not sure what I would do. Even when the body is removed the remaining tentacles can still sting for awhile. I worked on the Chesapeake one summer and ran into the sea nettles all the time, but I guess I'm thick skinned and they never really bothered me. Just a little tingle.

These are a couple of photos I took this summer at the North Carolina Aquarium (on my whirlwind fossil-hunting trip).

post-6366-0-44969500-1328585397_thumb.jpg

post-6366-0-01942200-1328585422_thumb.jpg

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

Jellyfishes are such beautiful creatures I agree.

About your "thick-skin", it reminds me of how the late Steve Irwin could swim nearly naked through an ocean of jellyfishes without harm, while the camera-man next to him wearing a full suit could many stings.