Post Oak Creek Bone Id?

feeshy1

found this bone in post oak creek in sherman a couple days ago ....any ideas what it might be?

post-7197-0-90503600-1328253668_thumb.jpgpost-7197-0-45385200-1328253697_thumb.jpgpost-7197-0-75616300-1328253722_thumb.jpgpost-7197-0-43573600-1328254433_thumb.jpg

Edited by Katlinmaye

Not sure about the id but doesn't it look like it has been butchered by man as opposed to being broken in half? May not be but just an observation. Interesting find,

Bobby

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." - Confucius

My 5 year old son and myself also found several shark teeth....he had a great day so did I!

That is fantastic. Enjoy these times. Before you know it your Son will be gone off to college and you can mostly just wish he was around to go collecting with (or whatever). I guess this is the natural order of things and the way it is supposed to be but it sure aint any fun. Welcome to the Forum by the way and keep posting pictures of yalls finds.

Bobby

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." - Confucius

Thanks....afterwards we stopped by a creek near denison dam... didnt find alot but he found a huge chunk of ammonite and was pretty excited...along with several other "rocks" that were"his collection" and there was no way he was gonna let me leave them there....

My son was showing this bone to a friend and drooped it today on the concrete....I was a little disappointed but it was kinda cool to see that this fossil bone broke and cracked like a piece of ceeramic tile ...kinda awesome maybe im easily entertained but it really did break like ceramic and feels like ceramic...cool i guess it depends on how you look at it

i'd go with distal humerus. i'm always leery of bones "broken" in planar fashion perpendicular to centerline...at times this implies sawing. most bones quickly become stained once in streams, so i dont attempt to assess age until scrubbed and thoroughly dried as everything feels dense when wet, often falsely implying mineralization. then i tap it on a rock or piece of glass..glassy ring often implies mineralization; hollow= recent. if the latter i tend to crack the bone open for confirmation. old bones shatter and crumble (doh!) while the wall of recent ones often flex a little then snap. recent bones often show staining from inner and outer sufaces that is shallow, with the center of the wall thickness remaining off white while old bones are often dark thru the wall thickness. armchair guess... yours most likely recent, but i'd be delighted on your behalf to be proven wrong.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

• 1 year later...