Blowgun

CreekCrawler

Hello, I was cleaning off the dust on my display shelves and thought about this unique item that I bought at a reptile show from a native of Indonesia.This is a fully functioning blow-dart gun from Indonesia! The best part is that it is made entirely of native buffalo bone! The darts come out of the dragon/serpents mouth! Just one of the special items I have aquired in my 43 years of looking for that display item that jumps out and says"I'm Unique" :rolleyes:

thanks

Barrypost-417-1219880183_thumb.jpgpost-417-1219880215_thumb.jpg

So Barry,

If I go out collecting with you should I expect to feel a dart tear through my hand as I reach for my find of the day?

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

So Barry,

If I go out collecting with you should I expect to feel a dart tear through my hand as I reach for my find of the day?

Depends,if it's a spear point like the ones I have seen you collect.........well ,lets just say "pain don't hurt that much"!!!!!!!!!

Here are a couple of more pieces that I have aquired here and there.The reason I am photographing these things is due to the fact that I am having new floors installed in my home.That means I have to remove everything off of my shelves! Sheesh,too many items to wrap and dust off! 1st one Alligator lamp....looks great at night!2nd 2 shark sculptures made by artist John Perry I had to glue the dorsal back on the hammerhead due to breakage.post-417-1219884679_thumb.jpgpost-417-1219884705_thumb.jpg

Love that blow-dart gun! It has excellent detail, and the bird on the top is cool...

Welcome to the forum!

Love that blow-dart gun! It has excellent detail, and the bird on the top is cool...

Ditto that! Any sense as to how old it is?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

And one more of Medusa....cast in resin. Of course because of the snakes!

I also have one of Ray Harryhousens creations made by Gentle Giant.She looks like Medusa,but is called a Gorgon serpentine woman.She is in the original box and stands 9" tall and has incredible detail! I love the movies when stop motion animation was happening.post-417-1219885629_thumb.jpgpost-417-1219885658_thumb.jpg

Ditto that! Any sense as to how old it is?

Not sure, the guy that brought some of these in was also selling snakes from Indo.I still see him from time to time at the shows and will try and ask him. He also had some in white and they were very,very, nice with black etchings. I bought this one 15 years ago if that helps!

B

...I still see him from time to time at the shows and will try and ask him....

Ask him also if there is some significance to the bird & dragon motif; sometimes the ornamental themes refer to folk tales and such, which can add a level of fascination to the piece.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I like Medusa, although she looks like she is having a bad hair day, but snakes,

probably a look you like. Remember her from Latin classes....

Welcome to the forum!

Guest solius symbiosus

Wow! That dart gun is incredible... truly beautiful. Do you think it is some kind of ceremonial piece?

Wow! That dart gun is incredible... truly beautiful. Do you think it is some kind of ceremonial piece?

Thanks! Not sure ,but that would add to the mystique!

I would like to buy the white one that he had and complete my collection! As I remember it was under $100 at the time.

I like Medusa, although she looks like she is having a bad hair day, but snakes,

probably a look you like. Remember her from Latin classes....

Hi Roz I have a much kinder likeness of medusa in pencil scetch by an artist named Boris, but her top half looks very real if you know what I mean.Probably shouldn't post it here on this forum.She has a beautiful face,kinda not typical of Medusa.I can send a pic of her to a pm though!

Just a random thought...Showing your fossils, artifacts, and other wares in photos on a public forum presents somewhat of a double edged sword. On the one hand you may be piquing the interest of would be thieves; on the other hand if you do get robbed or your house burns, taking out your computer, you can still access images of what has been lost for insurance purposes.

Grüße,

Just a random thought...Showing your fossils, artifacts, and other wares in photos on a public forum presents somewhat of a double edged sword. On the one hand you may be piquing the interest of would be thieves; on the other hand if you do get robbed or your house burns, taking out your computer, you can still access images of what has been lost for insurance purposes.

I have random venomous snakes tied up live in various places where one would be placing nefarious fingers"LOL"

I have random venomous snakes tied up live in various places where one would be placing nefarious fingers"LOL"

Barry, I don't think Dan will be sending you a PM to place his order for venomous snakes. Yes, Dan has great fossils; but surreptitious types should remember he is also an engineer...with guns. :unsure::P

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Barry, I don't think Dan will be sending you a PM to place his order for venomous snakes. Yes, Dan has great fossils; but surreptitious types should remember he is also an engineer...with guns. :unsure::P

Hi John, weeuns in Tejas always have a hog-leg laying around! :D;)

Alas, my pistol instructor informed me that I was the only one in the class he'd trust with head shots.......

Grüße,

Alas, my pistol instructor informed me that I was the only one in the class he'd trust with head shots.......
Is that with an old Rem XP-100 topped with a period Weaver w/post reticle? :o:)

Depends which room of the house we are in...

Texas home security systems can be pretty effective at times. My street is a bad place for would be thieves as several of us have a pact of "communal security". In the last couple years I've been able to change the minds of a couple interloping miscreants through "personal persuasion", then sit and wait for the authorities to eventually arrive. In the end these guys really, really wished they had just stayed in school...

Grüße,

Depends which room of the house we are in...

Texas home security systems can be pretty effective at times. My street is a bad place for would be thieves as several of us have a pact of "communal security". In the last couple years I've been able to change the minds of a couple interloping miscreants through "personal persuasion", then sit and wait for the authorities to eventually arrive. In the end these guys really, really wished they had just stayed in school...

Also remember the castle law is now in effect,so bang away as long as they are in your castle.If not drag them back inside and hose away the trailLOL. However, that does not preclude you from civil ramifications :o!

Fortunately in both cases things were resolved without dirtying my barrel, and I prefer to keep it that way.

Grüße,