Horseshoe Crab

t-tree

Just finding my feet as i'm new to this forum so i hope this works!this is a Belinurus i found in the Derbyshire coal measures UK towards the end of last year.

post-7909-0-67689200-1328374596_thumb.jpg

post-7909-0-64922400-1328374640_thumb.jpg

post-7909-0-53860000-1328374679_thumb.jpg

post-7909-0-13968700-1328374700_thumb.jpg

post-7909-0-17788800-1328374764_thumb.jpg

Be happy while you're living for you're a long time dead.

Cheers Guys for your comments,these are a couple more Belinurus from the same site the coin is about 25mm.

post-7909-0-57008800-1328432328_thumb.jpg

post-7909-0-85937300-1328432366_thumb.jpg

post-7909-0-81773100-1328432494_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the Forum. Awesome! That's a little guy. I take my family to the Delaware shore in May to see them come ashore and flip those that got turned upside down during their nocturnal activities. Some of them are quite large.

Collecting Microfossils - a hobby concerning much about many of the little

paraphrased from Dr. Robert Kesling's book

Is it just me, or do they basically look like trilobites?

Yes, quite a bit.. I think that crab is related to the trilobite..

Welcome to the forum!

Only in a sense that all Arthropods have a common ancestor.

Otherwise crabs are not direct descendants from trilobites.

:P

What wonderful fossils! :wub:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Terrific finds. Thanks for sharing them on the forum. I sure would love to find a horseshoe crab fossil some day, but I haven't even found a whole trilobite yet.

The horseshoe crabs do look an awful lot like trilobites. From what I've read, I think all, or nearly all, the trilobites had antennae, while the horseshoe crabs did not, and I think most if not all trilobites had appendages attached to all their segments, not only those on the thorax. I hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong. While the trilobites had three sections (Cephalon, Thorax and Pygidium) the horseshoe crabs only have two (Cephalothorax and Abdomen) as well as a telson. All the legs of the horseshoe crab are attached to the cephalothorax (which looks so much like the cephalon of the trilobites). The horseshoe crabs breathe with book gills, attached to the abdomen, while the trilobites seem to have had gill structures attached to the base of the appendages. The horseshoe crabs are more closely related to the fossil eurypterids than to the trilobites. The eurypterids and the xiphosurids (horseshoe crabs) are both chelicerates, along with the arachnids, though the more I delve into the classification of these animals the more confusing it gets. Part of the problem is that the soft parts were very rarely preserved.

These aren't fossils, but I'm attaching a couple of photos of horseshoe crabs (limulus polyphemus) I keep in tanks for my school program. They are amazing creatures. I'm trying to learn more about their ancient relatives and I'm grateful to you for sharing your finds.

Mike

post-6366-0-63395000-1328545422_thumb.jpg

post-6366-0-53409000-1328545445_thumb.jpg

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

This is the smallest one i found piece of long gain rice for scale.post-7909-0-04944400-1328563802_thumb.jpg

Very cool. Horseshoe crabs are in my 3 favorite animals that I love fossils of. I want to buy one, since none are found fossilized in Florida that I have ever heard of.