Are Ichthyosaur And Xiphactinus Jaws And Teeth Very Rare?

-Andy-

I 've always been a sucker for dinosaur and fossil jaws and teeth. I am unable to locate both Ichthyosaur and Xiphactinus jaws or teeth online however.

Do they not shed their teeth often like sharks or mosasaurs?

Or does anyone know where I might locate Ichthyosaur and Xiphactinus teeth at reasonable prices?

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

I 've always been a sucker for dinosaur and fossil jaws and teeth. I am unable to locate both Ichthyosaur and Xiphactinus jaws or teeth online however. Do they not shed their teeth often like sharks or mosasaurs? Or does anyone know where I might locate Ichthyosaur and Xiphactinus teeth at reasonable prices?

Andy - shoot me a pm...I've got Xiphactinus teeth and jaws...

We find Xiphactinus jaws here on the Sulphur river, however most of the teeth are usually broken off. The teeth are fragile and usually shatter before extraction. There are a few posted on ebay ever now and then, they seem to be similar to Pleisosaur teeth to me, so I think some get misidentified.

Plesiosaur teeth have ridges running up and down the tooth and tend to have curvature. Xiphactinus teeth are straigth without any ornamentation.

The reason why my Xfish jaws come out toothless, is plants. Especially in Western Kansas. The roots will actually replace the teeth if left long enough. I have broken ptychodus teeth out of the inside of a plant root before.

I found a complete Xiphactinus skull that was 75% root replaced. All that was salvagable was the lower jaws and the surface of the bone was ravaged.

And as far as Ichthyosaur teeth. You're on your own. I've never found one in 20 years of hunting.

Edited by Boneman007

It depends in what formation you are looking in. I have found plenty of Xiphactinus material in the chalk but notso much in other formations. As for Ichthyosaur teeth it is pretty much the same thing. You do see a lot of Ichthyosaur teeth from England and some from time to time from other places.

Well now...I need Pliosaur and Cretaceous croc teeth as well!

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

Crocodile teeth can be found In a lot of different formations and in many are rather common as well. Pliosaurs are just like Ichthyosaurs you need to find the right formation. Since your in Singapore I'm not sure what you are after.

I would mention that there are some formations in the US as well that produce Ichthyosaurs like the sundance formation or the late Triassic Luning formation which is known for it's Shonisaurus fossils. I do not know about pliosaur fossils from the Jurassic though I'm sure there are some and once in a great while a nice Cretaceous pliosaur comes out of Kansas or Utah and a few different places. However some of the best cretaceous marine formations in the United States are post Turonian and ichthysaur were gone and a few rare pliosaurs where still around only to go extinct.

Well Platecarpus, I am starting up a Cretaceous marine predator collection of teeth, and has already acquired various mosasaur and shark teeth.

However, there were other incredible predators too, the Ichthyosaurs, XIphantinus, Pliosaurs and marine crocodiles.

I live in Singapore where there are no fossils to be found, so I usually purchase my fossils online, or trade with my fellow Singaporean collectors. Hence, I do not really mind the formation, as long as it's one of the four predators teeth that I am after.

The area I fossick is marine cretacious and complete teeth are not very common. I might find one or two teeth a trip and most have the crown or root missing.

The Ichthyosaurs and pliosaurs shed and replace teeth throughout there life so you would think they would be more common.

After 10 years searching in the one area I only have a handfull of complete Ichthyosaur teeth and most of them are from an associated set I found before xmas.

Pliosaur three and none of them complete. My avatar is a Kronosarus tooth that is part of the pliosaur group I found and that is now in a museum. I have a copy of that and another half krono tooth but they are very rare. I have never seen any australian teeth for sale as export laws are quite strict.

Well Mike, if u ever intend to sell any of your Pliosaur or Ichthyosaur teeth, do let me know!