Where Should I Buy Fossils That Are Not Restored

tealyn

I posted this topic because I have been looking all over the internet for fossils, all I can find are restored fossils, I have found lots of bones and shark teeth in the river valley but after seeing David Attenboroughs "first life" I would love to restore a a trilobite or something similar.

So, are you looking for broken fossils that are in need of restoration?

...or maybe just unprepared fossils that need to be exposed?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

It won't be to difficult to track down a source for "unprepared trilobites"; here's a link to a quick search: >LINK<

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Who knows what you might discover as you prep your fossils.

Edited by -Andy-

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

I have been doing some 'kitchen table prepping' with some pretty basic tools. There's a discussion here:

http://www.thefossil...__fromsearch__1

I found some inexpensive fossils on ebay that I felt had a not too hard matrix and have been working away. I figure have to learn somehow!

I also enjoy the detail work, and can get engrossed for hours! This is my current project:

Eldredgeia Venustus from Bolivia:

before:

post-7738-0-40399600-1328710033_thumb.jpg

and now. Still have a ways to go. The top side of this guy isn't too great, but he sits at an angle, so displays pretty nicely.

post-7738-0-20216400-1328712672_thumb.jpg

I once bought a small Elrathia trilobite from the local museum gift shop, that had some extra matrix around the fossil. At $6.00, I figured I'd check the matrix for other fossils as well.

I was able to pop off the original trilo, and found over 2 dozen smaller trilos throughout the the remaining matrix.

As long as they are inexpensive, I see no reason not to experiment with these fossils.

You never know what you'll find! :)

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Years ago...when Crawfordsville crinoid slabs were really "hot"...I talked to one

of the owners (at MAPS) regarding how the fossils were prepared. Specifically...

What level of magnification was used. Was told "no magnification". I thought that

was a little odd.

At the time I thought it would be very interesting to prep a small slab very slowly

and even use the microscope to remove matrix from the fossils. In other words...

I was interested in comparing my microscope preparation with their preparation

just to determine if the extra effort would really be that noticeable to the naked eye.

I asked what the price would be for an unprepared slab. Was told that none were

available for sale. Asked why not? The answer was that they couldn't determine,

in advance, what fossils were in the slab and might unknowingly be selling a

slab with some very rare expensive fossils.

Today...I have really lost interest in the subject

Flash from the Past (Show Us Your Fossils)
MAPS Fossil Show

Get thee an Eocene fish from the Green River Formation of Wyoming. Ulrich is one dealer that sells prep kits. Great fun to prep, and cool enough when done that your friends will be impressed. Takes basic hand tools, good hand-eye coordination, and a lot of patience. They're cheap, and common, so no worries if you mess up.

• 3 weeks later...

As Blastoid mentioned, I highly recommend a fish from Ulrich.

I recently got interested in fossils, and as a practical matter I decided to prep my own fossils and have been really enjoying it - as Tealyn mentioned it's meditative. For my own purposes, I saw a picture of a mosaic/collage of fossil fish arranged together as a large "picture". I thought it was really interesting and decided I wanted to do something similar in my home office. Well, buying all those fish would be really expensive (and tough to justify the expense to the wife). As I am a patient person, I decided it might be fun to prepare my own.

I called up and talked to Shirley - who is incredibly nice and talked to me for a while about what I wanted to do and the specifics about what kind of fish I wanted. I got a priscacara and took forever to work on it. I got a 2.5x magnification visor (Amazon) and a couple carbide needles/scraper (for pin vise) from Paleotools and things started moving much faster.

And for a first attempt, I think it turned out great. I did have some trouble with the delicate fins, and hacked through most of them. But now I know and will do better on the next one - a massive 16-18" Diplo, also from Ulrich. I'm only about 1/3 through that one and starting to think about what to order next.

So as long as you're interested in fish, I highly recommend it - I'm really happy I went this way and am enjoying the new hobby.

Any links to Ulrich...I'm not familiar with them, though probably should be.

Ulrich's

You'll find the Ulrich fish prep kits are top notch, I've done a few prisky's and knightias, and two large plates as well. Good complete fish, excellent preservation, nice solid plates, well cut, clean and thin.

B

This thread is poisonous! Now I feel like buying my own preparation kit and an unprepped fish from Ulrich too!

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

I once bought a small Elrathia trilobite from the local museum gift shop, that had some extra matrix around the fossil. At $6.00, I figured I'd check the matrix for other fossils as well. I was able to pop off the original trilo, and found over 2 dozen smaller trilos throughout the the remaining matrix. As long as they are inexpensive, I see no reason not to experiment with these fossils. You never know what you'll find! :) Regards,

I did the same with a nothosaurus tooth, removed a small amount of matrix only to find another two even better examples a little deeper in the slab.

• 6 years later...

I saw them before, but can't figure out what to search to find this stuff again--unprepared quarry slab lots. Like piles of raw slabs from quarries. Ive tried every search combo I can think of on eBay and just google searching, but can't find anything close:( does anyone know anywhere to look?

Edited by Still_human

18 minutes ago, Still_human said:

I saw them before, but can't figure out what to search to find this stuff again--unprepared quarry slab lots. Like piles of raw slabs from quarries. Ive tried every search combo I can think of on eBay and just google searching, but can't find anything close:( does anyone know anywhere to look?

What types of fossils are you looking for?

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me