Casts And Replicas?

-Andy-

As far as I am aware, the vast majority of folks here have fossil collections that were dug up by yourselves.

But what would you say to casts and replicas?

For most folks, it is snarge near impossible to own the skull of a Tyrannosaurus Rex, or the imprint of a 2.5 feet long Meganeura dragonfly or a 6-inch Megalodon tooth.

Thus replicas and casts come into the picture, and many museums and exhibitions use reps and casts as well.

Would any of you purchase casts or replicas?

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

Since I am a model builder/collector/sculptor I have no problem with replicas. I can't own everything and I will never see the animal alive so models and replicas are fine with me. I will collect the real items when I can and collect the resin pieces that I like.

The price that one is worth is a can of worms. depending on sculptor, size, quality, material it is cast in and on and on.

I mysef would not, but if I saw a cheap one, and good quality, then maybe. I did once with something, but I did not put it among my other fossils.

This is the only way I'll ever have an Archaeopteryx skull!

post-423-0-77272200-1328988744_thumb.jpg

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Hello Andy,

I own several casts in my collection because it is the only way most of those examples are going to be able to grace my collection. I still have a few ambitious cast fossil wants to go. I almost won a cast Mosasaur skull on ebay the other day and thought I would win it but got outbid at the last second. Oh-well, can't win them all. It is still on my list and hope to own one someday. When people see Dinosaurs on exhibit, most of them are casts and I love them.

Bobby

post-6069-0-84940300-1328996969_thumb.jpg

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." - Confucius

This is the only way I'll ever have an Archaeopteryx skull!

post-423-0-77272200-1328988744_thumb.jpg

Auspex,

That is one awesome cast. Thamls for sharing.

Bobby

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." - Confucius

Anybody who is building a "display" of fossils should look into casts. They look awesome, are far less expensive than the real deal (usually, but not always), and are just as valuable for any scientific need an ameteur would want. One thing I've noticed, though, is there are a few "casts" out there that are actually replicas, cast from a hand-made sculpt, not a fossil.

I've got an American lion skull (cast), and a terror bird skull (replica, but cool, no less).

I was hesitant to buy casts because, well, they aren't fossils, but I'm happy with the decision.

One last note: say you have a fossil you want to prep in the matrix because it looks really nice that way...maybe a small Mosasaur, for example, where the skull is not inflated. Most non-fossil people can't visualize a Mosasaur skull in 3-d, so a cast might make a nice addition to the display, as well.

Nick

Archived