3D Leaf Fossils

bdevey

I set out this morning not sure what I might find, with just a route to drive, that I picked out the night before. I stopped at a road cut, because I thought I saw something in the hill side. But as soon as I walked to the back of my truck, a state trooper pulled up behind me. I waved {hello like} and walked to the side of his truck as he rolled down the window. He said "need any help?" I said "nope just doing some rock hunting" as I held up my hammer. He said "ohhh how fun, what are you looking for?" I said" plant fossils or anything cool". He got excited about the fossil thing, as we kept talking I thought he was going to get out and join me, LOL... anyway as soon as he drove away, I found a fossil and new fossil bed.

Here was my first find...post-4158-0-16487600-1329018515_thumb.jpg

and the fossil bed....post-4158-0-99915000-1329018598_thumb.jpg

Note, the dike runing through the middle. Oddly the leaf fossils came from the right side, and none from the left side.

left side up close....post-4158-0-84458500-1329018731_thumb.jpg

note, some carbo wood

Most leaf fossils I've seen or found, are fairly two dimensional, with exception to some laid down in some wave action. In the next post you'll see why I called this 3D

I almost forgot, this is southwest Oregon, Oligocene, little butte volcanic series.

They almost look like someone, went out to the yard and picked up an old curled leaf an stuck it in a rock.post-4158-0-16259900-1329020529_thumb.jpgpost-4158-0-20622000-1329020569_thumb.jpg

Edited by bdevey

I found this nice fossil wood in the mix....

post-4158-0-82720100-1329020886_thumb.jpg

and I'm likeing this one alot, but a little lost with it....post-4158-0-73644300-1329021053_thumb.jpg

I have a little more to add tomarrow.........

very pretty site to collect Bob, and a nice haul.That broken stemmed plant is too nice and as you say, if those leaves were any crisper, I'd have alot of trouble believing they were fossil, nice trip! :)

Edited by xonenine

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

Nice sampling.. Scott (piranha) will know something about these. The '3D' ones must have been the result of turbulence and/or rapid burial. I have a few like this from my local Cretaceous sandstone (darker than your matrix but apparently similar grain size), the rock frustratingly doesn't split as cleanly as the flat stuff.

Is this a new site that no one knows about except yourself?

very pretty site to collect Bob, and a nice haul.That broken stemmed plant is too nice and as you say, if those leaves were any crisper, I'd have alot of trouble believing they were fossil, nice trip! :)

Thanks Carmine,

Here is another pic,...I was hopeing for grass at first, but looks like sequoia or metasequoia?post-4158-0-82174900-1329026662_thumb.jpg

{Carmine note the back ground, anything look familiar? thanks agian, I just bought a new camera, will post some photos soon.}

Nice sampling.. Scott (piranha) will know something about these. The '3D' ones must have been the result of turbulence and/or rapid burial. I have a few like this from my local Cretaceous sandstone (darker than your matrix but apparently similar grain size), the rock frustratingly doesn't split as cleanly as the flat stuff.

Is this a new site that no one knows about except yourself?

Hi Eric, I agree and agree, but there was no spliting, it would just fall apart when I picked it up, exposing the plants. And sadly fell apart more than wanted,, many times.

I have never heard of the site, but it's a road cut, along a hwy, so I'm sure someone has explored it before?

Hi Eric, I agree and agree, but there was no spliting, it would just fall apart when I picked it up, exposing the plants. And sadly fell apart more than wanted,, many times.

I have never heard of the site, but it's a road cut, along a hwy, so I'm sure someone has explored it before?

I've had that problem, my local shale doesnt quit falling apart as soon as you touch it.. Very frustrating.

Could be known by others then I guess, if it's a roadcut, but obviously (and luckily) it's not overcollected. Last summer I found out my local roadcuts are being scavenged by others when I found the imprint of an ammonite with chisel marks around it..... &^%$#

I don't think that's a (meta)sequoia, the 'needles' look too long unless I'm misinterpreting the scale (are they the same as the needles in your metasequoia in pic#1?), but I cant say what it would be otherwise. Would be cool to have grass fossils, that would be a first for me! Keep looking and let us know..

Edited by Wrangellian

I like this sort of happening

Like all mine and i might tell just one other person maybe but

This site i'm keeping to myself :)

Nice stuff, and it looks like you ran into a good cop. Well done.

He was a good guy,.... Im sure he was racking his brain about the laws. Its always good to know more about the rules than them. lol

Edited by bdevey

I've had that problem, my local shale doesnt quit falling apart as soon as you touch it.. Very frustrating.

Could be known by others then I guess, if it's a roadcut, but obviously (and luckily) it's not overcollected. Last summer I found out my local roadcuts are being scavenged by others when I found the imprint of an ammonite with chisel marks around it..... &^%$#

I don't think that's a (meta)sequoia, the 'needles' look too long unless I'm misinterpreting the scale (are they the same as the needles in your metasequoia in pic#1?), but I cant say what it would be otherwise. Would be cool to have grass fossils, that would be a first for me! Keep looking and let us know..

Sorry everyone about no size reference...

Here are some more pics....The longest one in this pic is 1 3/4 inpost-4158-0-77082700-1329031059_thumb.jpg

the longest in this one is 1 inch...post-4158-0-57666100-1329031101_thumb.jpg

Great finds, Bob! :)

The small one in the center of the pic in Post #9 looks like some kind of conifer?

Very cool.

Thanks for posting them!

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Nice fossils! I especially enjoyed the site pictures. I really like seeing the places where others are able to find fossils.

Don't mind if I crop and enhance a bit; trying to get a good look at the middle one - but still not sure what I'm looking at...

post-4372-0-74435000-1329119887_thumb.jpg

Edited by Wrangellian