Wheeler Shale, Millard County, Utah

Sinopaleus

So for this particular 3-day holiday, I decided to chill with my Dad... In Utah... :)

We drove from Salt Lake City to Delta yesterday night, and this morning we got up to go hunt in Wheeler Shale :) We got a permission slip from the owner, and drove off to the quarry. After a beautiful ride to the quarry (which took 30 minutes longer than usual because of the beautiful scenery), we got our stuff and went to go hunt for some trilobites. Found one or two while walking to the outcrop among the littered shale. There were a lot of Asaphiscus wheeleri's, but for some reason, not a lot of Elrathia kingi's. There was only one piece with one Peronopsis sp. worth taking home. After four hour's worth of splitting shale, we got a bucket of exceptional Cambrian trilobites, most of them Asaphiscus wheeleri. We've decided to head there again tomorrow, hopefully with more finds of other species, but for now, we're resting up after a long day of squatting and hammering and hollering. I'll try to get some pictures up of finds and stuff (there were one or two whoopers), but that could only happen on my other computer, which I do not have with me. Anyway, hopefully we'll have some better finds tomorrow! :):D

SP

PS: We found some odd-looking pieces with bubbles on them while splitting shale. They look a bit like Nemiana simplex. I'm pretty sure it isn't a pseudofossil since some were found with Peronopsis trilobites.

Right on, Henry. Glad you got to go there.

A buddy of mine went and brought me back a chunk with some specimens in it.

He also gave me a paper with id info, and it also says what is common, less comon, and rare.It has 'sponge' listed as less common, so, I wonder if that's what your bubble pieces are.

Good luck, and enjoy!

Steve

Super weekend getaway.......... I am hoping to get to the Trilobite Jam near there this summer.

Was it U-dig that you went to or somewhere else.

Hopefully you took a few pictures that you can share with us jealous folks that are snowbound up here.

Edited by Malcolmt

Lucky you! That's near the top of my must-do sites if I ever get the opportunity. Sounds like it's a peachy site to collect. I expecially like the oddball things like sponges, so I hope you show pics of these.

That one's on my bucket list, Henry! :greenwnvy:

Lucky you!!! :D

Also looking forward to the pics!

Regards,

Edited by Fossildude19

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I'll be in that area in May? Can you give me some starting points? Directions, anything you feel comfortable providing. I'll be calling St George home base for about 7-10 days.

Thanks

David

Lucky you! That's near the top of my must-do sites if I ever get the opportunity. Sounds like it's a peachy site to collect. I expecially like the oddball things like sponges, so I hope you show pics of these.

hehe, thanks :D

I'll be in that area in May? Can you give me some starting points? Directions, anything you feel comfortable providing. I'll be calling St George home base for about 7-10 days.

Thanks

David

Hmm... Don't waste your time in the waste pile... New ones are out by the outcrop :)

Hey, Henry!!!! It looks a gorgeous trip :drool: But, look out! You have pushed us into an agony gorge... :ninja: Think of it.... :)

Astrinos P. Damianakis

I found a rainbow colored Asaphiscus wheeleri yesterday... And I think an Alokistocare sp. too!! :o :o :D :D

unfortunately the rainbow Asaphiscus shattered on the trip back home... but hopefully the glueing will do it good :) Alokistocare is on the verge of snapping too...

All the site pictures are done... i took only about 1/3 the total amount of pictures for my finds. However, I did kind of take the best finds first so yeah... :P

For all the finds photo, they are all unprepared. Freshly split from shale.

My most prideful find, an Alokistocare harissi! :D :D

The host shale for the Alokistocare

post-4996-0-70376200-1329781447_thumb.jpg

Closeup of the trilobite

post-4996-0-39228600-1329781488_thumb.jpg

Comparison between an Elrathia kingi and an Alokistocare

post-4996-0-28121200-1329781517_thumb.jpg

Another closeup

post-4996-0-20299600-1329781533_thumb.jpg