Is This A Whale Ear Bone?

Harry Pristis

Ear bones have never been my favorite thing. And, that's a good thing 'cause - except for mysticete whale bullae in some locations - ear bones are hard to find. Here's one I've had for a long time.

I have always thought of this as an ear bone of Zygorhiza, an archaeocete whale; but, I have no confirmation of that.

The bone is in three pieces, broken along old cracks judging by the stains. It may have broken in my collecting bag - I don't remember. The broken surfaces reveals a dense, white, glassy material. Anyway, the interior is so surprising, and the cross-section of the bone is so interesting, that I have never glued it back together.

I thought I'd share some images, and maybe someone here will recognize the bone.

post-42-0-91922300-1329186538_thumb.jpg

post-42-0-75715900-1329186561_thumb.jpg

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

That is awesome and like you, I would not glue this back together because the break shows so much mechanics/anatomy.

Bobby

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." - Confucius

• 4 years later...

Harry,

Whenever I have a true unknown, I search TFF and the internet for photos that resemble. I am wondering of you had success in identifying the "whale ear bone" over the years.

Certainly I do not have Eocene deposits, but I am finding some odd whale materials at this Miocene site. Anyway, Approciate your thoughts on this find (approximately 2.5x2.5x1.5 inches.IMG_1371CRbrown.jpgIMG_1369EarWhaleSkullCRBrown.jpg

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

I do not see an ear here.

I do see what maybe a skull fragment, possibly from the back area.

Not an expert on bones though so wait for more opinions.

Tony

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Thanks,  Ynot.  I would just be happy with any ID..  In hot pursuit.... I also see the seemingly skull connection,  but that would also help me to understand this odd protrusion from the skull.  It is a win-win situation :D

BobbyBPetrosal2.jpg

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

A couple of more photos, showing width and possible sIMG_1369EarWhaleSkull.jpgIMG_1370CRBrown.jpgkull attachment.

Good question - archaeocete petrosals look quite a bit different from Mio-Pliocene odontocetes and mysticetes. I've attached a figure of the petrosal of Basilosaurus isis, and an isolated early Eocene sirenian petrosal. Harry - your petrosals/periotics look much more like a sirenian, as it seems to include a cochlea but lack distinct anterior/posterior processes.

Basilosaurus isis petrosal.jpg

Benoit.jpg

Bobby,

I may have a Baleen ear bone from what I see in the fossil and internet.
http://coastalpaleo.blogspot.com/2011_08_01_archive.html.
I have also found some Baleen jawbone at this site. I am a little surprised at the small size of the fossil.

petrosal comparison2.jpgIMG_1376AuditoryCanal.jpg

2 hours ago, Boesse said:

Good question - archaeocete petrosals look quite a bit different from Mio-Pliocene odontocetes and mysticetes. I've attached a figure of the petrosal of Basilosaurus isis, and an isolated early Eocene sirenian petrosal. Harry - your petrosals/periotics look much more like a sirenian, as it seems to include a cochlea but lack distinct anterior/posterior processes.

Benoit.jpg

Thank you, Bobby, for the identification of my fractured ear bone.  To answer Jack's question, No, I haven't given this bone any thought subsequent to posting this thread in 2012.  I am pleased to have it revived.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Archived