Everyday Carry Field Kit

mikecable

I just received a pair of these gloves

http://www.amazon.co...s00_i00_details

which got me to thinking about what items I need in to keep in an everyday carry field bag. Not the things you might carry on a specifically planned trip (sledges, shovels, sieves, backhoes, dynomite, etc), but the things you might want if you just happen to be driving down a backroad and see an interesting roadcut.

Imagine this scenario--great roadcut and you end up hiking a half-mile from the car. What field gear could you not live without--that you would curse the fossil gods had you left it in the car, or worse back at home?

I joke with my wife that she can pack enough makeup and hair products for a weekend trip and that I could spend a summer in Europe with the same amount of gear. But the truth is I tend to be a bit OCD myself when I start planning this kind of field kit. I end up with a field surgery kit, topo maps for the entire North American Continent, two weeks worth of MREs, 8 gallons of water, bivy shelter, firearms and 18 different ways to start a fire. That's before I add the fossil hunting gear. So at that point I need at least one mule or a pack of sled dogs.

Help me pare down an essential carry kit to 10 to 20 lbs.

Hammer and chisels and/or rock hammer.

Collection bag and a couple of containers.

Camera.

Ruler.

Notebook.

First aid kit.

I usually have a dishsoap container full of water in case the rock has dirt/mud on it to give it a little wash if I think there might be something on it.

Edited by Bullsnake

Steve

My field pack stays packed and ready to go and contains: chisel and pointed rock hammers, tape measure, scale bar, 4-6 various size and shape picks, trowel, small pry bar, scissors, small labels, bags for small specimens, empty prescription bottles, tp, pens, twine, brunton compass, hand lens, small container of butvar, 2-3 brushes and field notebook. My pack has a hydration bladder so 100oz of water.

Edited by Jesse

a great topic - I am always trying to whittle down the weight of my kit in various ways

it includes a 5 lb sledgehammer, am Estwing 20 0z rock hammer, iced tea, a rolled up cloth bag, a flat bar and a 3/4 and 1 inch chisel.1 comparment holds the ermergency poncho, another for plastic bags and bubble wrap

when Im ready to go a one gallon pail goes into this bag also, it contains the phone, camera, pill bottles, tiny plastic bags, a knit hat, and another beverage.The only other thing I might grab is an empty 5 gallon bucket,These things are always ready to go... :)

it gets pretty heavy coming home, if I fill the one gallon pail, and the "main bag"

add the cloth bag or the 5 gallon bucket full, and it is maxed out... :)

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

I can usually dig up a hammer, chisel/screwdriver, something to wrap goodies in, a pair of gloves in my truck and a camera since even most phones have one now. I don't take notes in the field but there is always something to write on in the truck, too.

Edited by ghost1066

I can usually dig up a hammer, chisel/screwdriver, something to wrap goodies in, a pair of gloves in my truck and a camera since even most phones have one now. I don't take notes in the field but there is always something to write on in the truck, too.

Ghost the battle of hastings

I'm feeling you in this conversation. What is the minimum I need, but absolutely essential? I don't see a five pound sledge.

Oh yeah , back to the original question...

Canvas bag with lots of pockets (then you don't need separate containers).

20 oz hammer of any kind and a small chisel (there's nothing more frustrating than finding a nice fossil you have to leave behind)

That's it! The important thing is scouting a new spot to see if you want to come back better prepaired.

cheap superglue from walmart ($1 per 4 tubes), bubble wrap bags from work (pc boards delivered in them), gatorade g2, camera or camera phone, tools and other equipment highly variable depending on venue. take my advice and spring for high end gel knee pads.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Minimal, for hiking any distance to sites: rock hammer, chisel, tp, and my flat wooden box with rope handles for carrying it all, maybe some glue (type depending mainly on the weather and time available). I have a baby carriage fitted out with beer flats if the ground is level enough.. sure helps in carrying larger amounts. My shale is usually too splintery and fossils too delicate to carry in bags/backpack or even to wrap in newspaper.

I have more items I leave in the car like sledge, prybar etc. which can be carried in the carriage but otherwise not taken along on the hike unless there is a specific reason. Like BobWill says, if you're scouting a new site and can come back better prepaired later, you dont need much.

I have thought about finding some gloves too but the kind that leave the fingertips exposed would be pretty useless to me, as these are the most often sliced by sharp shale!

Edited by Wrangellian

In addition to what has been said

Black Sharpie marker

Roll of tin foil (Does good job protecting fossils super fast and stays on the fossil)

Hiking GPS that also has elevation

waterproof matches

bug spray for certain locations

Metal paint scraper for splitting soft shale and general work

Small digital camera to get "as found" pictures of anything that looks really good

couple of empty canvas food store bags to carry

Lepages white glue (and a super glue of some kind and some paper towel (can put whiteglue and paper tower over really delicate flakey material before wrapping in tin foil)

You rock guys and gals have different packs than us Teeth and bone hunters do. At least the ones that hunt east of the Appalachian chain. No hammers or chisels...unless we are quarry hunting.. So a water area hunt very little is needed, a screen, probe, shovel or 2, and ziplocks or containers for teeth. I carry some plastic grocery bags and double for bone material..

I imagine if I were to go to more remote spots a bite to eat, and a few other things extra water or fluids.

Insect repellent, A backpack to tote bagged goodies out.

Now on a scouting mission I only take my probe and maybe shovel. I know that other water hunters maybe on a boat of some sort and take a lot more in with them being further from there cars.

Jeff/Tarheel

Did you ever go to a new site and say "I wished I brought _ _ _ _ _ and _ _ _ _ _!

The next visit you have a full compliment of collecting necessities (or so you hope)

It isn't always easy to anticipate your needs everywhere. Crafty how us Humans can

be to extract our fossil goodies.

My motto is "Pack Everything" B)

post-6417-0-73999900-1329311565_thumb.jpg

Unpack what ya need :)

Flash from the Past (Show Us Your Fossils)
MAPS Fossil Show

One item that I have found very useful are the carpentry crayons you can get at Lowe's, etc. The red ones show up against all types of rocks, so you can mark a specimen and come back to it later without fear of losing it.

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen

typically I carry a pack with a sifter, trowel, couple screwdrivers, plastic baggies, a couple small plastic containers and a roll of aluminum foil, but my van has all my other tools in the back just in case :)

One item that I have found very useful are the carpentry crayons you can get at Lowe's, etc. The red ones show up against all types of rocks, so you can mark a specimen and come back to it later without fear of losing it.

Brent Ashcraft

Good idea about marking the fossil on the rock...I use chalk

What is often the problem is not finding the fossil again on a rock...but finding those rocks

again later. I tear off a piece of aluminum foil and put it on or beside the rock and weight it down

with a small rock. I can then walk away with full confidence...knowing I can return to the general

area again and IMMEDIATELY see the shinny reflective aluminum foil markers.

Finding the fossil again on a rock....Usually, is not the problem

Finding the rock again is often the problem :D

Edited by Indy

MAPS Fossil Show

I never go into the field without a roll of Aluminum foil

Priority #1 (for me) is insuring fossils arrive at home

in the "Same Condition" as found the the field.

post-6417-0-31935900-1329322212_thumb.jpg post-6417-0-42019500-1329322220_thumb.jpg

post-6417-0-91060800-1329322232_thumb.jpg post-6417-0-11694300-1329322240_thumb.jpg

Pennsylvanian gastropod

Wrapping the fossil in crumpled foil will not only protect the

fossil if dropped...but will also retain moisture which is often

critical (as many of us know).

After wrapping the above fossil in crumpled foil...

I could accidentally drop it and it would not be damaged

Some use newspapers to protect fossils...

However, in my experience, crumpled aluminum foil protects fossil

better and retains moisture. I've never unwrapped fossils protected

by crumpled foil and found they were damaged during transport.

MAPS Fossil Show

I take a 3 lb rock hammer 2-3 chisels, I have a back pack that a shoe size rubbermaid box fits in the bottom of for fragle fossils, ziplock bags large and small, black sharpie to mark bags (bag 1 of 2....), one or two of the small plaino tackle boxes

Two items I'm surprised not to see listed--

Loupe

GPS

Magnification is always in the backpack but to tell you the truth...

I seldom take advantage of it when in the field.

GPS: I might be in the minority...but Its one of the few toys that

I don't have. Never, got around to purchasing one. I know there's

a list of reasons why a GPS would be of value...Few for me.

MAPS Fossil Show

I take a 3 lb rock hammer 2-3 chisels, I have a back pack that a shoe size rubbermaid box fits in the bottom of for fragle fossils, ziplock bags large and small, black sharpie to mark bags (bag 1 of 2....), one or two of the small plaino tackle boxes

I very much like the idea of the rubbermaid box. I can see adding one or more such boxes to help organize and protect both gear and fossils, while only adding a small amount of weight. Thanks.

Lots of great suggestions in this thread. All I can add is marking flags, the kind used to mark out a fence line for example. They are available in bundles of 50 or 100 (I don't remember exactly) for about $2. Sometimes I'll be at a really extensive site, and generally I'll want to get to the far side relatively quickly, and more slowly work my way back. That way if I find something really heavy right away I don't have to carry it the whole way out and back, I can pick it up on the way back. A flag is great to mark the spot. I've also done the aluminum foil thing, that works well too but unless you use a pretty big piece of foil that can be hard to re-find if it's flat on the ground. I read in one of Peter Ward's books about collecting in the Karoo Desert that they carried rolls of toilet paper. They would tear off a big piece and stick an end under a rock, or drape it over a shrub, and it would flap around in the breeze and so was easy to re-locate. Of course, toilet paper is a dual-use item and works better than aluminum foil for use #2. And, it's biodegradable so if you don't get back to it, it doesn't blight the landscape like a piece of trash. In my experience though it doesn't work so well against light-colored Mooreville chalk.

Don

Good idea about marking the fossil on the rock...I use chalk

What is often the problem is not finding the fossil again on a rock...but finding those rocks

again later. I tear off a piece of aluminum foil and put it on or beside the rock and weight it down

with a small rock. I can then walk away with full confidence...knowing I can return to the general

area again and IMMEDIATELY see the shinny reflective aluminum foil markers.

Finding the fossil again on a rock....Usually, is not the problem

Finding the rock again is often the problem :D

I have used chalk also, but the problem I have found with it is that it crushes easily and washes off too easily. Crayon marks will last for weeks.

I can look at a rock with a fossil, turn my head and look again and it is GONE, circling seems to stop their ability to run and hide.

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen

I normally take warm clothing (hat, gloves etc), a brick hammer, a 2kg crack hammer, various chisels, eye protection, a tape measure, camera, bages for fossils, a couple of steel points, a hand lens, foam wrap, a mobile phone, elastic bands and a map. Not forgetting snacks and a flask.

I normally bring too much, and never use half of it, but it is always there incase I need it.

post-4683-0-55865900-1329327990_thumb.jpg