Everyday Carry Field Kit

mikecable

Something I do always carry--two or more large bandanas. Collection pouch. Dust mask. Sun blocker. Marker. Wet it down and use it around your neck or in the crown of your hat to cool off. Band-aid. Sling. Field marker. Sweat mop. Snot rag. And many more uses

Two items I'm surprised not to see listed--

Loupe

GPS

We "professional" paleo nerds call our loupes, hand lenses ;)

I have a gps app on my phone that works even without cell signal and is accurate to 5 decimal places. My phone also doubles as my camera, gotta love technology!

At the bare minimum, I try to keep some plastic grocery bags in the car just in case. you never know when you'll stumble across something that you want to collect but can't stuff into your pockets.

As an extreme last resort, I've been known to use discarded coke cups found among the roadside litter, but one cannot depend on that.

Context is critical.

Finding the fossil again on a rock....Usually, is not the problem

Finding the rock again is often the problem :D

There is an algal 'blossom' that I found in November (without tools) that I finally have a chance to collect it on Saturday. I hope I remember where that rock is. :) At least it's a fairly small road cut.

Context is critical.

Collapsible Field Cart

Something many of us have thought about

post-6417-0-01728900-1329337627_thumb.jpg

Website with more pictures: Click Here :)

Here's mine - it was free! (except for the replacement inner tubes. I kind of wish the wheels were bigger - less vibration)

With beer flats, it's very useful if you find fossils that are too fragile to put in bags, or if you have too many to carry.

post-4372-0-66268300-1329344521_thumb.jpg

There is an algal 'blossom' that I found in November (without tools) that I finally have a chance to collect it on Saturday. I hope I remember where that rock is. :) At least it's a fairly small road cut.

I hope you'll post a pic of it for us when you get it.

I hope you'll post a pic of it for us when you get it.

I plan on taking pics before I destroy it during extraction. :)

Context is critical.

Chalk wouldn't work to well out in w. Kansas, but I have used stacks of rocks as markers on top of small chalk pyramids. I also carry this in case I find that complete mosasaur some day.

Ramo

(I actually don't leave home without my trusty Swiss Army Knife)

post-40-0-37397500-1329347598_thumb.jpg

Edited by bowkill

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

Magnification is always in the backpack but to tell you the truth...

I seldom take advantage of it when in the field.

GPS: I might be in the minority...but Its one of the few toys that

I don't have. Never, got around to purchasing one. I know there's

a list of reasons why a GPS would be of value...Few for me.

First, I need to note that malcommt did mention carrying a hiking GPS unit.

I'm of the generation that grew up with slide rules, typewriters, and topo maps, but as I was growing up transitioned to the earliest calculators, computers, and much more recently GPS technology.

My first forays into the great outdoors as an independent adult (a stupid college kid with more book learning than common sense) usually involved hunting or fishing. I relied heavily on topo maps and a compass. I would never make a great navigator or orienteer. I did learn two great lessons from two great men.

From Von Clauswitz--On War--"The map is not the terrain."

I learned this lesson clearly from searching for a long abandoned pecan orchard near Lake Granger. We did finally find the orchard (best squirrel hunting site ever), but in the process of finding the orchard we also found the "Slough of Despond". Evil quicksand, a very precarious fallen pine tree bridge, and fire ants.

The map is not the terrain.

From Russ Cable--my father--"A 4-wheel drive allows you to get thoroughly stuck and lost much further from help or civilzation."

"Add a winch to your truck, and you can get stuck even further away."

GPS allows me to get back to within 5 to 10 feet of any given spot. More importantly, it will keep me 5 to 10 feet away from the "Slough of Despond".

Finally, GPS will basically allow me to share a "honey hole" with anybody. I can put that person right on top of the lens. Including myself if memory has faded.

My memory does fade sometimes these days.

Ghost the battle of hastings

I'm feeling you in this conversation. What is the minimum I need, but absolutely essential? I don't see a five pound sledge.

You are the first one in all the time I have used this handle that got it, Yes the year there wasn't enough Saxon violence. Congrats :D :D

The rocks here are layered limestone and you rarely need a big hammer.

You are the first one in all the time I have used this handle that got it, Yes the year there wasn't enough Saxon violence. Congrats :D :D

The rocks here are layered limestone and you rarely need a big hammer.

I'm not sure it was about violence.

Might have just been a lucky shot.

'Twas my people what softened 'em up, three weeks earlier at Stamford Bridge...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Gosh, I really appreciate these insights. I didn't see this anywhere else, but might have overlooked it: Rope. We use it a lot when hunting North Sulphur River.

Anna and John

SE Oklahoma

____________________________________________________________________________________

"Life is an occasion, rise to it."

--Mr. Magorium, "Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium"

http://​www.johnsdiscoveries.com

I hit the "Reply button" because I had something to add to the discussion...

but I forgot what I was going to say... "Old Timerz" AKA "Senior moment" :P

Poor Indy ! These things arrive more and more as the time moves forward! Don't worry : that will return when you will not look any more for what you wanted to say !

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Gosh, I really appreciate these insights. I didn't see this anywhere else, but might have overlooked it: Rope. We use it a lot when hunting North Sulphur River.

Good thought. I might add 100 feet of 550 lb paracord to the kit.

I carry two shovels, a probe, and a screen. My bag contains food, water, extra set of gloves, zipties to make emergency screen repairs, and a bag for fossils.

Something I do always carry--two or more large bandanas. Collection pouch. Dust mask. Sun blocker. Marker. Wet it down and use it around your neck or in the crown of your hat to cool off. Band-aid. Sling. Field marker. Sweat mop. Snot rag. And many more uses

Second that one! I've saved my neck, wrapped a busted knuckle and wrapped stuff on numerous occasions.

I have three levels of gear:

I wear a fly-fishing vest when collecting (or fishing) and it is loaded with the basics: labels, pen, loupe, small containers, various sizes of zip-locks, small first aid kit, etc. I'll have my pick on a belt loop an a single chisel in a vest pocket. The vest itself has oodles of pockets. Hat, gloves & boots rounds it out.

Second level is the carry it with me backpack. Contains more containers and wrapping material, food, water, bigger chisels, bigger first aid, sunscreen, repellant, emergency items (ponch, TP, matches, etc.) and so on. I often "park it" in an easy to find place while I explore close by.

Third level is all the heavy tools. They stay in the car until I need them. Shovel, big pry bars, crack hammer, etc. Larger containers like cardboard flats, grocery bags, etc. A few extra gallons of water and more food usually in a cooler, change of clothes and shoes, etc.

I generally have all this in the car at any given time.

This works well for me.

Collapsible Field Cart

NOTHING IN THE WORLD MAKES ME HAPPIER THAN THIS CART!!! I suffer from scoliosis, a curvature of the spine and my doc has me on strict orders to NOT fossil hunt for the rest of the week, but when I am able to get back to the new hunting site....I will certainly be taking a cart on wheels!!!!

"The road to success is always under construction." Author Unknown.

Collapsible Field Cart

Indy I have an old golf bag cart that I reconditioned into a fossil cart. When weather permits I will get a pic of it on here. Great thing is I can still use for golf outings if I want it for that just cut a few zip ties.. Stll looking at twinking it more to make it even better. It even goes in the water. Jeff/Tarheel

NOTHING IN THE WORLD MAKES ME HAPPIER THAN THIS CART!!! I suffer from scoliosis, a curvature of the spine and my doc has me on strict orders to NOT fossil hunt for the rest of the week, but when I am able to get back to the new hunting site....I will certainly be taking a cart on wheels!!!!

Kim up here in NC a day in the creek and our backs and hands and whatnot are pushed to the limits. I know from my own experience that a day or two after I dig in the creek I walk and or get out of a chair like I am much, much older..:( I have 2 bad verts in my back one at neck area and the other right at my pelvic area. I keep asking myself do I want to keep punishing myself like this, the answer is always YES.:) Jeff/Tarheel