Recent Acquisitions

Auspex

...something as delicate as a feather seems almost impossible to be fossilized!...

They are "carbonized impressions", except that bacteria acting on the protein in the keratin plays a role.

Now if I could just get my hands on a 6.789.3538 inch feather...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

• 2 weeks later...
Auspex they both should be in a museum

When I'm done with them, and if they want them, my entire collection will go to a museum; the folks at the American Museum of Natural History are pretty cool. Right now I can guarantee that more people are seeing them than if they were in museum storage! :D

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

When I'm done with them, and if they want them, my entire collection will go to a museum; the folks at the American Museum of Natural History are pretty cool. Right now I can guarantee that more people are seeing them than if they were in museum storage! :D

Probably very true Auspex... If i were to donate something to the museum it would have to be if they were to study it, or if it were guaranteed to be on display where everyone can enjoy it. I dont understand the point of large collections just sitting in storage not seen for 50years at a time. I respect palentologists who do all the work and describe species ect but i do not see the point of having them in storage.

Thats why i love this forum, everyone can share things from all over the world that you would not usually be able to see. So thanks for sharing these!

"Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitment of possibility!"

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

one of my best friends who a paleontologist was one of the first USA paleontologist 2 go 2 the Lower Cretaceous Yixian Formation in Liaoning, China he worked on the feathered Dinosaurs this name is Donald Wolberg

Donald Wolberg stared dinofest also know as worlds fair of dinosaur it no longer going on but i want 2 one of them i was at the 1998 one in Philadelphia pa last one was in 2000 in Chicago