Recent Acquisitions

Auspex

My bird fossil collection just got a lot older!

I have acquired eleven small fossil feathers from the Lower Cretaceous Yixian Formation in Liaoning, China.(To a paleoornithologist, these are the equivalent of 7" Megs!)

The Yixian is the lowest part of the Jehol group (famous for it's "feathered Dinosaurs"), and radiometric dating places it at 125-121 mya. I've chosen two as typical of the bunch; 3/4" and 5/8" long. My little hand-held digital microscope doesn't show (at least in my hands) the full level of detail present in the lacustrine/volcanic ash layer. I need to get my hands on a good binocular microscope to parse the barb/barbule structures.

Described avians from this layer include Archaeorhynchus spathula, Confuciusornis sanctus, Liaoxiornis delicatus, Paraprotopteryx gracilis, and Zhongornis haoae. They run the gamit from very primitive to reasonably advanced, with Enantiornithines coexisting with Ornithurines. The discovery of this mixed biota is rewriting the evolution of birds as a decidedly non-linear one.

post-423-1220141541_thumb.jpg

post-423-1220141555_thumb.jpg

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I have acquired eleven small fossil feathers from the Lower Cretaceous Yixian Formation in Liaoning, China.(To a paleoornithologist, these are the equivalent of 7" Megs!)

The Yixian is the lowest part of the Jehol group (famous for it's "feathered Dinosaurs"), and radiometric dating places it at 125-121 mya. I've chosen two as typical of the bunch; 3/4" and 5/8" long. My little hand-held digital microscope doesn't show (at least in my hands) the full level of detail present in the lacustrine/volcanic ash layer. I need to get my hands on a good binocular microscope to parse the barb/barbule structures.

Described avians from this layer include Archaeorhynchus spathula, Confuciusornis sanctus, Liaoxiornis delicatus, Paraprotopteryx gracilis, and Zhongornis haoae. They run the gamit from very primitive to reasonably advanced, with Enantiornithines coexisting with Ornithurines. The discovery of this mixed biota is rewriting the evolution of birds as a decidedly non-linear one.

In terms of rarity of a 7 inch Megs, there are about a dozen natural teeth known to exist worldwide at best. Seven inch Megalodon teeth also run you 20-30k each. I am not doubting that your specimen's are extremely rare, but it's like someone posting a thread saying they just picked up eleven 7 inch Megs. I only know of one person that belong to this forum that has only one 7 inch Meg. I have a few hundred Megs, not counting anything under 2 inches, and still no 7 inch Megs in my collection.

These 2 representative feathers are better then what I was expecting when we spoke about these earlier. NICE addition to your collection. Glad to hear you got 'em all! So, was it a big happy dance when they arrived?

Wm.T

In terms of rarity of a 7 inch Megs, there are about a dozen natural teeth known to exist worldwide at best. Seven inch Megalodon teeth also run you 20-30k each. I am not doubting that your specimen's are extremely rare, but it's like someone posting a thread saying they just picked up eleven 7 inch Megs. I only know of one person that belong to this forum that has only one 7 inch Meg. I have a few hundred Megs, not counting anything under 2 inches, and still no 7 inch Megs in my collection.

several......hundred......megs....OMG!!!! wow, you have a huge collection :mellow::D:P I think Auspex meant 6-6 1/2 inch megs ;)

Nice acquisition Auspex. The photos really show the amazing detail of the feathers. Its amazing something that old looks that good :P

Tha tighin fodham, fodham, fodham!

OK, so I'm a little excited!

What size Meg would there be only about thirty of in the US?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

These 2 representative feathers are better then what I was expecting when we spoke about these earlier. NICE addition to your collection. Glad to hear you got 'em all! So, was it a big happy dance when they arrived?

Wm.T

Shaking hands and mixed emotions; very excited to get them :D , high anticipation for microscopic examination of the structure :D , small but ominous pang about making the mortgage payment :o .

OK, so I'm a little excited!

What size Meg would there be only about thirty of in the US?

Hmmmm, that's hard to say. I would guess to say 6 3/4'' inch. By the way, congrats on your new additions, they are awesome!

small but ominous pang about making the mortgage payment :o .

Yeah...I can see where that would cause a bit of concern. A bit.

Wm.T.

I can't believe those are so well preserved. It's amazing. It seems plants and feathers would be so hard to find in such good shape.

How did you get so deep into birds, Auspex? I notice they are your main interest.

...How did you get so deep into birds, Auspex? I notice they are your main interest.

I guess I'm the type that likes to specialize (in my endeavors, if not my interests). Dad was an ecologist with the Fish & Wildlife Service, so we were always eyeball deep in nature. I wound up "focusing" on birds, and added fossil birds to rekindle a latent fossil fascination.

Beautiful fossils, congrats. You must know someone you trust to buy those. I hear nothing but horror stories about the fossils from China. What's the secret?

very very interesting Auspex, beautiful specimins.

Thanks a lot for sharing..... :D

"Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitment of possibility!"

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

[, with Enantiornithines coexisting with Ornithurines. The discovery of this mixed biota is rewriting the evolution of birds as a decidedly non-linear one.

I agree, man ;)

Congratulations for your addition.

I have one feather from the lowermost cretaceous from Catalonia, but I don't find it once I was moved, when I find it you will have a good picture.

congratulations again.

:)

Beautiful fossils, congrats. You must know someone you trust to buy those. I hear nothing but horror stories about the fossils from China. What's the secret?

No secret; just build long-term relationships with knowledgable, respected dealers. A good one can supply a detailed provenance that is beyond "plausible", and will send fossils for approval before taking payment. Trust goes both ways in personal transactions. (It's also nice to have these folks keeping their eyes and ears open, especially when my field of interest is so specialized).

...I have one feather from the lowermost cretaceous from Catalonia, but I don't find it once I was moved, when I find it you will have a good picture....

Yes please! :)

So 11 huh, sounds like a pretty uneven number to me. Better send one my way and make it 10 :D I'm just teasing.

I bet you're estatic!

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

Great score,when are you going to add a Archaeopteryx to the collection?

We are all merely curators for the next generation.

So 11 huh, sounds like a pretty uneven number to me. Better send one my way and make it 10 :D I'm just teasing.

I bet you're estatic!

Yeah, eleven is an embarassment of riches: nobody needs that many, but they were offered only as a lot. Once I get all the study value out of them, I may turn the surplus into trading stock.

Great score,when are you going to add a Archaeopteryx to the collection?

This is the best I'm apt to do:

post-423-1220231662_thumb.jpg

post-423-1220231699_thumb.png

Yeah, eleven is an embarassment of riches: nobody needs that many, but they were offered only as a lot. Once I get all the study value out of them, I may turn the surplus into trading stock.

Well, let me know once you get done with your edumacation :D I'll be the first one in line :D

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

Hey Auspex. Everyone knows that the hard parts of animals, teeth, bones, shells and other stuff fossilizes fairly well, but getting something as delicate as a feather seems almost impossible to be fossilized! You have some very nice fossil feathers my freind. Also, I went out into my garage where I keep my mainframe computer and put in all the pertinent info and came up with a measurement for the size of megtooth that is equivlent to your 11 feathers. 6.789.3538 inches. Hope this helps

RB

Archived