Creature Feature: Woolly Mammoth.

Guest Nicholas

Guest Nicholas

Note to members:

I will be initiating a different taxon on "Creature Feature" every week, usually posted on Fridays. Members are highly encouraged to post their fossils, articles, and what have you relating to the particular animal. We're starting the first few months with Mammals, to offer something to the vertebrate enthusiasts. The desire is to build a referencable body of knowledge (over time) on each. Make a note that off topic posts are discouraged.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The woolly mammoth (Mammuthus primigenius), also called the tundra mammoth, is an extinct species of mammoth. This animal is known from bones and frozen carcasses from northern North America and northern Eurasia with the best preserved carcasses in Siberia.

This mammoth species was first recorded in (possibly 150,000 years old) deposits of the second last glaciation in Eurasia. They were derived from steppe mammoths (Mammuthus trogontherii).

It disappeared from most of its range at the end of the Pleistocene, with a dwarfed race still living on Wrangel Island until roughly 1700 BC.

Fossil range: Late Pleistocene to Late Holocene

Kingdom: Animalia

Phylum: Chordata

Class: Mammalia

Order: Proboscidea

Family: Elephantidae

Genus: Mammuthus

Species: M. primigenius

Links:

Woolly Mammoth Information.

Famous Baby Woolly Mammoth.

Informative Handout.

Guest Nicholas

Just thought I'd leave a comment on this, the Woolly Mammoth is one of my absolute favorite animals that has ever existed. I couldn't resist posting it, and I hope someone has some fossils to share. I'm having a hard time acquiring them myself.

I'd like to say that if you have any ideas for a Creature Feature, please just message me. I'm more focused on Mammals currently but eventually I think it will expand on a little of everything.

From Wikipedia:

"During the last ice age, woolly mammoths (Mammuthus primigenius) lived on Wrangel Island in the Arctic Ocean. It has been shown that mammoths survived on Wrangel Island until 1700 B.C.E., the most recent survival of any known mammoth population. Wrangel Island is thought to have become separated from the mainland by 12,000 years BP. Survival of a mammoth population may be explained by local topography and climatic features, which permitted relictual preservation of communities of steppe plants. Wrangel Island mammoths ranged from 180-230 cm in shoulder height..."

Can you imagine living Mammoths? We're just a couple thousand years late... :(

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Partial tooth from Climping beach in West Sussex, England.

EDIT: forgot to say, this was found by my son, not me.

post-45-1220184454_thumb.jpg

post-45-1220184473_thumb.jpg

post-45-1220184492_thumb.jpg

post-45-1220184516_thumb.jpg

KOF, Bill.

Welcome to the forum, all new members

www.ukfossils check it out.

This tooth is from the North Sea

DSC00990.jpg

DSC00991.jpg

I'm not trying to be off topic, if I am you can remove this post and we can start a new one :( I'm just wondering if anyone else has any other elephant like material?

Here are some of mine.

I think this is Mastodon, but I'm not sure, it's from Java.

DSC00992.jpg

DSC00993.jpg

I think this is part of a Gomp tooth.

DSC00994.jpg

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

I'm not trying to be off topic, if I am you can remove this post and we can start a new one :( I'm just wondering if anyone else has any other elephant like material?

This is perfectly on topic! We want to amass a body of knowledge by critter, and comparative pieces are salient. :D

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

This is perfectly on topic! We want to amass a body of knowledge by critter, and comparative pieces are salient. :D

I just didn't want to be a trouble maker :D

Well, now that you mention it it sounds like a good idea to compare the material. I mean look at the variation from tooth to tooth. They are all so unique and all have common roots, most likely.

The one I think is Mastodon has two rows of what look like molars on what looks like one big molar! :wacko: I find the space in the middle the thing most worth pondering!

The one I think is Mastodon has two rows of what look like molars on what looks like one big molar!

Those are called "cusps", and all too often are all that is found.

Guest Nicholas

Great material guys, I'm glad my Creature Feature seems to be taking off now...

Curious I wonder if anyone has any Woolly Mammoth hair specimens? I hope so!

Curious I wonder if anyone has any Woolly Mammoth hair specimens?

There's "Dust Mammoths" under my furniture; does that count?

I have a couple of fossil elephant teeth. I think my favorite may be the yellow/cream mastadon tooth. There's mammoth in the group as well, just to stay on topic.

post-210-1220228927_thumb.jpg

post-210-1220228907_thumb.jpg

post-210-1220228832_thumb.jpg

I used to have more but I've been downsizing everything over the last couple of years.

You had more??? :wub: Care to downsize some more? :D

If those are Mastadon, than what do I have with the cusps???

OK, so the tag didn't post with the tooth. It's the tooth that looks like an old fashioned wash board. In life only the tops of the cones would be visable and the rest would have been covered in something like dentine. The same goes for Mastodons and Gompotheres.

Here's a pic of my Mammoth tusk. It's the brown one.

post-210-1220274797_thumb.jpg

Look at the tooth I have from Java. It's an unerupted Stegodon tooth. I think what you have is a piece of one.

I looked and I'm not sure. it could be. It looks just like one molar to me, but I'm not an expert on elephant-like material. I'm going to post picture of the tooth all the way around. Maybe that will help.

The first side

DSC00993-1.jpg

The side I didn't show before

DSC00997.jpg

The back

DSC00998.jpg

The front

DSC00999.jpg

The bottom

DSC00996.jpg

Hope this helps!~ :D

It looks like you have a section of a tooth. It might be a Stegodon but there are also a couple of different species from Java with similar teeth. You can see the material I was talking about between the enamel rows on your tooth.

Beautiful tooth and that dark color really sets it off!

Mammoth tooth is on my fossil hit list, but still

looking.

And Ron, you sure have a great collection.

I'll have to say with all the fossil pics posted on this

forum really gets me fired up to find more.....

Welcome to the forum!

here is a picture of a baby mammoth that i molded and cast a few times. it is a composite specimen from Russia

Brock

post-37-1220454758_thumb.jpg

post-37-1220454785_thumb.jpg