Creature Feature: Woolly Mammoth.

Guest Nicholas

Guest Nicholas
here is a picture of a baby mammoth that i molded and cast a few times. it is a composite specimen from Russia

Brock

I was hoping you would add that Brock, it is one of my favorites of yours.

here is a picture of a baby mammoth that i molded and cast a few times. it is a composite specimen from Russia

Brock

That is amazing! It would look good in the yard at Halloween.

here is a picture of a baby mammoth that i molded and cast...

The pelvis seems proportionally small; is that a Mammoth thing, or a baby Mammoth thing?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

• 2 weeks later...
The pelvis seems proportionally small; is that a Mammoth thing, or a baby Mammoth thing?

the edges of the pelvis have all been eroded off. so it woul dprobably have been quite a bit bigger. keep in mind that it is also a composite, the russians could have made a mistake. :D (no offense Mike)

Brock

Auspex's post about us being a couple thousand years too late to see a mammoth, got me to thinking about something I read somewhere a few years ago. With all the frozen mammoths that have been found, it has been suggested that a frozen egg or sperm may be found, and a modern elephant could be inseminated with it. (sperm that is) Then It would give birth to a half mammoth, half modern elephant. If this could be done with a few individuals, you could then breed them (the "hybrids can't usually breed thing may mess things up here), and eventually have an animal that is a very high percentage mammoth. Or one could possibly be cloned from frozen DNA.

Yes, it does sound like science fiction, and right now it is, but so was air travel not too long ago.

Thought I'd post this to liven up the conversation.

I'm going out back now to practice throwing my Atal-Atal just in case.

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

...it has been suggested that a frozen egg or sperm may be found, and a modern elephant could be inseminated with it. (sperm that is) Then It would give birth to a half mammoth, half modern elephant. If this could be done with a few individuals, you could then breed them...and eventually have an animal that is a very high percentage mammoth. Or one could possibly be cloned from frozen DNA.

Our mates Down Under have been talking about doing this with the Thylacine. In either case, I have to ask; what do you do with them if successful?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

What would you do with them?!!

As soon as the mammoth population started getting out of hand, I'd hunt them with my atal-atal, or use one for my shower like the Flintstones did.

As for the Thylacine I would use it to retreive geese, with the giant mouth they have, they should be able to pick up a BIG Canada goose.

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

Our mates Down Under have been talking about doing this with the Thylacine. In either case, I have to ask; what do you do with them if successful?

You know what would happen.... Would you go see it if given the opportunity (for the price of admission)? Many of us probably would go see a "mammothant". It would be worth millions.... ;)

I wonder if I'll get anything for the name? :unsure:

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ