Another Ichno For Auspex

flyguy784

Here's a bigger one for you to drool over. This one is from the NG but alas I didn't find it. It was a gift from a friend. Might be the greatest gift I ever got. Whata ya think?

fossilslargetracketc002.jpg

fossilslargetracketc001.jpg

Drool is right; it's huge!

I don't know why I get so worked-up over Ichnos; maybe because of the stories they hint at telling.

My best is a two foot plate from Lake Gosiute deposits (Green River Fm., WY). It is covered with Presbyornis tracks (3 1/2" wide), and "nibble marks" (left by the bill tip while feeding). I know of only one other example like it. (I haven't fully prepped it yet, and might just leave it alone).

post-423-1220196381_thumb.jpg

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Yeah, I would most likely leave it be. Great Finds All!

Ok, so help abrotha out B):D What are Ichno exactly, are they what you call bird trace fossils or is it a certain species?

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

Ok, so help abrotha out B):D What are Ichno exactly, are they what you call bird trace fossils or is it a certain species?

Ichnofossils are trace fossils; the only possible distinction being that some trace fossils are described, and named (thus entering the realm of "ichno"), without any certainty as to what critter made them.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Ichnofossils are trace fossils; the only possible distinction being that some trace fossils are described, and named (thus entering the realm of "ichno"), without any certainty as to what critter made them.

Ah, I see :D Great, I learned something new about fossils. This site is so great! Thanks Auspex!

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

Ah, I see :D Great, I learned something new about fossils....

Don't stop now!

Check out Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trace_fossil

What's hardest for me about incnos is the shift in gears needed to accept that the name given to an ichnospecies does not refer to the organism that made them (which is often unknown), only to the trace itself!

So, like, are fucoids ichnos? (I just love saying snarge like that).

post-488-1220232256_thumb.jpg

This sucker's about three feet across. No, I didn't take it home. Anything large or firmly embedded stays in my "remote" collection of snarge I keep scattered around the state. Seems more prudent that way. If you see any of my stuff when you're out hunting, leave it alone. It's mine.

Speaking of leaving snarge where it lies, I'm hoping my large ammonite is doing OK...

I haven't been back to see it since I found it.

post-488-1220232977_thumb.jpg

Speaking of leaving snarge where it lies, I'm hoping my large ammonite is doing OK...

I haven't been back to see it since I found it.

I think I've seen some of your collection. Last time I saw that one it was a few feet away from mine. Still there as far as I know. B)